~450hp from stock stroke 340?

-
Can't see Trick Flow heads making 450 hp ?
There's more to building an engine and making horsepower than just bolting on a head.
I call bullshit on all these 450 hp 340's, it ain't as easy as some say and it's been witnessed at the track.

There's more to building an engine and making horsepower than just bolting on a head.
I call bullshit on all these 450 hp 340's, it ain't as easy as some say and it's been witnessed at the track.
Yes but it's the biggest part of it as long the other parts can keep up.

Personally if I didn’t know what I know and had a set of TrickFlow heads I would make a phone call to Jim at Racer Brown. I would tell him the size of engine, advertised compression, tell him I have a set of TrickFlow heads and advertised flow numbers, intake and carb I was going to use, header size, preference on type of cam but I would be open minded, and a target horsepower (425-450, 450-475) and he’ll want to know that in this case it’s a street car.

I'm not saying that, seem to be what others are saying.
I don't think anyone is saying a trick flow won't support 450 hp, it will with right sum of parts and machining.

Back around 1977-78 my 340 street car ran 11.82@3200 plus pounds. .30 over bore size, .585 solid lifter cam, j or x heads with 2.02 valves, port a sonic intake and a 850 Holley. I was a street racing young punk that didn’t have a daddy to help me learn. All we had were some books and magazines. Now all someone has to do is go on forabodiesonly and listen, read, and learn. We have laid out the blueprint. If you Dont think technology has come a long way since the 70’s you are a nut. You guys always use these horsepower charts so here’s my numbers. And this was keystone not some east coast super track.

IMG_4578.jpeg

just under 400 hp with a 585 lift solid, how much gain do you think the Trick flow would give you on that combo. 50+ hp?

I wouldn’t build a 340 the same way now. Especially if I’m starting out with a 300 cfm head and way better intake choices. I’m going to take better advantage of that head.

I wouldn’t build a 340 the same way now. Especially if I’m starting out with a 300 cfm head and way better intake choices. I’m going to take better advantage of that head.
I know that, you'd build one over 450 for sure, I don't doubt you.

I took a weight of 3200 pounds and 450 horsepower and using a chart come up with a low 11.20 quarter mile. So I went into our 11 posting area and this was way up top.

[IMG alt="mikedevore"]https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/data/avatars/m/0/604.jpg?1461715951[/IMG]

mikedevore

Well-Known Member​

JoinedJan 13, 2005Messages2,577Reaction score137LocationOklahoma
1985 360 block, bored .020 & squared.
KB107 pistons set @ zero deck / Speed Pro rings gapped per KB.
stock 340 rods (full floating pins) ARP bolts, resized
Stock crank grond @ R.010 / M.010 clevite77 bearings
Balanced
Stock oil pump / Moroso oil pan, I run 7QTS total Valvoline racing oil 10W30.
Cam; Hughes solid #HTL5256AS Lift int 572 ex 579 dur. int 252 ex 256 @ .050
hughes lifters, springs, timing set & comp push rods.
Crane ductile rockers.
out of the box Edelebrocks closed chamber / ARP bolts / .039 Victor graphite head gskts.
Holley Strip Dominator intake, 750 DP holley carb
MSD6AL box, Taylor wires, & Mopar Performance Race electronic dist. set @ 32 degrees total
Hooker 1 3/4 headers.
shift point 6500RPM
Best Et 11.28 @ 117.8 MPH
125 shot, 10.80 @ 122mph. Blowing the tires off

I am getting to the party late, but there is no way I would use Keith Black pistons. You can get a much higher quality off the shelf piston with ICON and they have a lot of SBM options.

Tom

Trick Flow heads are known to support 550+ hp and if built right should be able to support 600+ hp (2hp per cfm), what's so terrible about the OP's build that it's gonna fall majorly short of a moderate asking of 450 hp (1.5 hp per cfm) a 100-150 hp under the heads capability and seemly even hard pressed to do 400 hp (1.33hp per cfm) ?

Asking 450 hp out of TF's is like asking 300 hp out of 1.88 J heads.

-
Back