~450hp from stock stroke 340?

-
You can build hp with various ratios of basically duration to head flow, look at LS engines they build 450 hp with 218° cams, say OP hits his goal with his 230° cam as long he has decent gears and stall to go along with it shouldn't be fine.

No disrespect,,,,but the LS engine is a whole different animal .
That’s apples and oranges to a small block Mopar .

Those cathedral ports are nothing like a Mopar head,,,,,and are not a fair comparison .

I do believe that the start of a happy result for the 340 would be to go higher with the compression .
And I mean a true real compression,,,not a calculation of what it theoretically is .
A few CCs here and there can easily lower the real value a quarter point or more .
When people think they are running 10.5,,,they really only have about 10 to 1 .

Back in 69 when Chevy put out the 302,,,,that was a bad little dude .
And those pistons were ever so slightly short of 11 to 1 .
Heavy TRW pistons they were,,,,,but it was an evil little engine,,,in the right hands .

If Mopar had done that to the 340 in a beautiful little Dart,,,,,man,,,,you talk about some embarrassing times for Chevy and Ford .

A 68 or 69 Dart,,,with a 340 with 11 to 1,,,,solid cam with high .480-.490 lift.,,,,X heads,,,,good aluminum intake.
Then,, in front of an A833 4 speed and an 8 3/4 with 3.91 suregrip,,,,and super stock springs .

Oh yeah,,,,,,wild times for sure !
And that car would have sold,,,,,it would have been a contender for the win every time .

Ohh wellll .

That never happened,,,but I believe it is still possible to replicate .

Tommy

Those cathedral ports are nothing like a Mopar head,,,,,and are not a fair comparison .
Never said it was, but the basic principles are the same, a better head will generally need less cam to make similar power and out of everything cam plays one of the biggest role in driveability, so generally if looking for streetability building hp with head flow over duration gonna give better results was my point.

I do believe that the start of a happy result for the 340 would be to go higher with the compression .
And I mean a true real compression,,,not a calculation of what it theoretically is .
A few CCs here and there can easily lower the real value a quarter point or more .
When people think they are running 10.5,,,they really only have about 10 to 1 .

Back in 69 when Chevy put out the 302,,,,that was a bad little dude .
And those pistons were ever so slightly short of 11 to 1 .
Heavy TRW pistons they were,,,,,but it was an evil little engine,,,in the right hands .

If Mopar had done that to the 340 in a beautiful little Dart,,,,,man,,,,you talk about some embarrassing times for Chevy and Ford .

A 68 or 69 Dart,,,with a 340 with 11 to 1,,,,solid cam with high .480-.490 lift.,,,,X heads,,,,good aluminum intake.
Then,, in front of an A833 4 speed and an 8 3/4 with 3.91 suregrip,,,,and super stock springs .

Oh yeah,,,,,,wild times for sure !
And that car would have sold,,,,,it would have been a contender for the win every time .

Ohh wellll .

That never happened,,,but I believe it is still possible to replicate .

Tommy

The night I ate up a 69 Camaro with a 302 in it I enjoyed every bite. Especially when the local Chevy builder told everyone I was dead meat. Lol. Beautiful car and I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing about it again other than how pissed off he was. Funny thing is my property borders the family farm so I kinda hope he can hear me loading up to go racing.

The night I ate up a 69 Camaro with a 302 in it I enjoyed every bite. Especially when the local Chevy builder told everyone I was dead meat. Lol. Beautiful car and I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing about it again other than how pissed off he was. Funny thing is my property borders the family farm so I kinda hope he can hear me loading up to go racing.
Eat that Chevy boy!

-
Back