4spd swap checklist for a 68 Dart GT 318/904

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
I’m compiling a list of all parts needed to do a 4spd swap in my 68 Dart GT 318. It currently has a 904 automatic. I’m trying to cover all bases parts wise for when I go to do the swap (once the heat of summer time starts to drop some). The trans and clutch was sourced from a 71 Swinger with a 340

I just bought a big pile of parts from Brewer’s that arrives tomorrow that should cover the literal nuts and bolts of the swap.

Cast iron 23 spline A833 4spd with small block bell housing.

Shifter linkage and shifter

Clutch fork and boot

Mcloed street clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and flywheel. The flywheel has been resurfaced and I picked up a new throw out bearing.

Z Bar with service kit from brewers (pivot balls, bushings, keepers, and hardware

Brewer’s pedal assembly

Rod from pedal to Z bar and firewall boot

Rod from Z bar to clutch fork

New steel floor hump

30 spline yoke for 7260 joint and new replacement joint

Shift boot and ring that mounts to the floor

Pivot ball bracket that’s welded to the frame rail

New ARP bolts for flywheel, pressure plate bolts, bell housing to engine, and from bell housing to trans

Speedo gear O ring kit to reuse the gear in the 904. I probably need a new Speedo cable too since my current is either stuck or broken

Lower dust shield that goes under the bell housing

Bell housing starter seal

Later model pilot roller bearing

I will need new carpet of course but as far as the installation goes, it’s not technically required. I will put new carpet and also replace the current old style starter with a later starter from a magnum engine. I’m also gonna go head and put a new trans mount since mine is 50+ years old.

Am I missing anything? Any help would be appreciated. I also have a new reprint copy of the 1968 service manual.

My main concern is the pilot depth may not be deep enough. It’s possible that it’s deep enough but not the right ID, that’s where the roller bearing comes in. I’m looking at the possibility that the input shaft may need to be shortened slightly. I did buy a Brewer’s clutch alignment tool that’s basically made from an input shaft. It wasn’t much more than the usual plastic ones. If that thing seats properly then theoretically the trans will too since it’s the same shaft essentially.

I plan to document it all and I’ll take as many photos of the process as I can.

As far as the adjustment rod for the clutch, is there a general starting point it needs to be adjusted to?

How long would the average two guys take that’s mechanically inclined to do this swap?

I’ll have to figure out the neutral safety switch and the reverse light indicator. If they aren’t a must to have it running and driving, I’ll add that after the fact. I’m really hoping my rear main isn’t leaking because if it is, I may just pull the engine and trans out in one unit so I can fix that while I’m at it.

Anyhow, I’m super stoked to finally see this dream come to be and I’m also a little intimidated about it out of the lack of experience of this specific job.

Last edited:
y'all should be able to bang that out in a weekend.

remember that you'll need to shorten your driveshaft.
The 904 and A833 is the same length.. at least that’s what the resources online have told me, I just have to change the yoke to a 30 spline

ah. you're good to go then. i can never remember which-- 727 or 904 is the same length as the cog box.
Yeah I lucked out.. swap the yoke to match the 833 spline and I’ll be good to go. Once I put my 8 3/4 in, I’ll need one. I was glad that I don’t have to do that twice had it been a different length trans

Heres some numbers off the transmission

It shifts smoothly through the gears.. I’d like to put a pistol grip on it but I’ll keep the stick hurst handle for now. It’s a bench seat chrome handle.. I missed the one on the front of the trans.. ran out of time today.

IMG_9803.jpeg
IMG_9804.jpeg
IMG_9805.jpeg

I like to drill a 1/2” hole through the hump for a long 1/4” screw driver to do the linkage setup. I don’t like trying to struggle with getting the 90* tool in and out.

$0.02

No neutral safety switch in 68. Not until 1970 IIRC ? Sounds like you got everything covered. Good luck with it.

The more I think about it the more I wanna just pull the engine and trans out in one rip.. it’ll allow me to pressure wash the K member..clean up the old oil off the engine from years of leakage that’s never been dealt with. Should make assembling the trans to the engine easier than trying to stab it while on jack stands…plus if the rear main seal is leaking, that’s an ideal way to replace it.

You may get lucky and the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing since it's an early 318. Are you sure it's a 68 transmission? VIN stamp on it makes it look like a 76 maybe. I'm not up on the VIN stuff, so I'm probably wrong. If it did turn out to be a 76 model 833, it would be the OD version. Not a bad thing if you don't jerk it around much. There should be a hole in the inner fender for the ball stud, to make it easy to line the weld on bracket up before you weld it. Good luck with the swap. Two guys who aren't newbies to wrenches should easily do it in a weekend.

The more I think about it the more I wanna just pull the engine and trans out in one rip.. it’ll allow me to pressure wash the K member..clean up the old oil off the engine from years of leakage that’s never been dealt with. Should make assembling the trans to the engine easier than trying to stab it while on jack stands…plus if the rear main seal is leaking, that’s an ideal way to replace it.
Buy new brass freeze plugs since you're yanking it. Swap them all out and wash the crud out of the water jackets with the pressure washer before putting them in. If your luck is like mine, as sure as I put the motor back in without replacing them, either the plugs in the back of the block or the backs of the heads would start leaking! :BangHead:

You may get lucky and the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing since it's an early 318. Are you sure it's a 68 transmission? VIN stamp on it makes it look like a 76 maybe. I'm not up on the VIN stuff, so I'm probably wrong. If it did turn out to be a 76 model 833, it would be the OD version. Not a bad thing if you don't jerk it around much. There should be a hole in the inner fender for the ball stud, to make it easy to line the weld on bracket up before you weld it. Good luck with the swap. Two guys who aren't newbies to wrenches should easily do it in a weekend.
It came out of a 71 Swinger.. the number has me a bit mift because yeah.. the 6 would mean 76.. but it’s an iron case, linkage rods consistant with a non OD, and the side cover is the pre-71. I’ll go back this weekend and just spin it in 4th to see if it’s 1:1. It’s sittin on a pallet at my friends shop so I don’t have instant access to it.

They came in both iron and aluminum, I think. Check the size of the front bearing retainer. The OD trans had bigger retainers. Maybe check the bellhousing you got to see if the 2 mate up snugly.

They came in both iron and aluminum, I think. Check the size of the front bearing retainer. The OD trans had bigger retainers. Maybe check the bellhousing you got to see if the 2 mate up snugly.
It’s already together.. came out of a running and driving car. Previous owner went to a 727 trans.

IMG_9802.jpeg

It’s already together.. came out of a running and driving car. Previous owner went to a 727 trans.

View attachment 1716292330
This picture angle makes it appear that the shifter will be in the back seat ?? But as you stated it came out of a running A body . Also think your suggestion to remove the existing engine and trans to assemble before installation is a very good idea. You can check many things as stated and address them at that point. Good luck with your project.

I've done a couple in early A bodies and once in a 68 Coronet R/T. You are way ahead of where I was when I did my first one. The trans tunnel was the worst part of the project for me. You have some great advice above. I would be concerned about the crank pilot being either or like JD mentioned but it looks like a great project. If you are a 4 speed guy you will have no regrets! Good luck and take your time with the ball and z bar alignment. The rod adjustment will just kind of fall into place for you when you get that far so don't fret about it. When you have everything mocked up and your clutch and brake pedal are the same height it all starts to become worth while! Good Luck have fun with it.

I've done a couple in early A bodies and once in a 68 Coronet R/T. You are way ahead of where I was when I did my first one. The trans tunnel was the worst part of the project for me. You have some great advice above. I would be concerned about the crank pilot being either or like JD mentioned but it looks like a great project. If you are a 4 speed guy you will have no regrets! Good luck and take your time with the ball and z bar alignment. The rod adjustment will just kind of fall into place for you when you get that far so don't fret about it. When you have everything mocked up and your clutch and brake pedal are the same height it all starts to become worth while! Good Luck have fun with it.
Back when I had my first Dart, 68 270 2dr HT, it was a dream of mine to 4spd swap it. It was also 20+ years ago and the internet was a new born baby and the resources we have today were only a dream. Being able to bring all of the years of knowledge together and parts availability at your fingertips really has made this possible. Oddly enough, when I sold the first 68 that I owned, toward end the 2nd gear in that 904 had left the building also. In retrospect, I didn’t know a ton about them at the time and now that I look back on it, the kickdown linkage wasn’t properly adjusted. That’s probably what shortened the life of it. This car had that “modification” upon purchase but I didn’t care since I wasn’t gonna keep an automatic in it anyhow.

This car is completely stock drivetrain wise and it’s a total pooch but, it’ll be a slightly cooler pooch with the 3rd pedal. I do plan to add some go fast parts in time. No real HP level in mind. Just make it fun to drive, make muscle car noises, and it to be reliable (within reason). 4 barrel, intake, headers, and a steep gear would really wake it up. With all of the horror stories with people wiping cams in recent years, I’m a little hesitant to put one..

Thanks to the internet, I also scored an A-body 8 3/4 housing with axles for only 600 bucks. Being those are hard to come by now, I couldn’t imagine having to try to find one without the benefits of the internet. I will need brakes and a center section for it. Yeah, ya could put any rear axle in it with some welding know how but I wanted to keep it mopar and stuff that I don’t have to modify beyond factory available parts makes life easier. I’m not against modifying but, the more “bolt in swap” the better

I don’t expect the crank to be fully drilled for a 4spd but I hope it’s at least deep enough for me to use the roller bearing and not modify the input shaft. fingers crossed. It’s a roll of the dice I guess. Maybe I’ll be lucky and it’ll all come together without a hitch.

-
Back