5.9 grand Cherokee limited swap to 1969 dart

-

helliphinon8

Reaction score
Just got the dart for a Xmas present. I have a great running 1998 jeep grand Cherokee 5.9 litre with 195,000 miles on it. Just wondering how hard it would be to swap the 360 into the dart.

Easy bolt in,do your homework first. A few questions. Carb,or F/I? Going to cruise,or street/strip? What's your budget? Done one carb swap 5.9 on mine.Relatively easy,but time consuming. Check out www.Magnumswap.com.Answers a lot of basic questions.The more research/questions you ask/do,saves you time&money.

Cool. I'll check that site out. I'm thinking I'll be doing the carb swap to avoid all of the sensors and electronics.

Welcome to FABO!

Bomber's suggestion is right on-there are also plenty of folks here on FABO who've done the swap and can offer helpful advise-use the search function-it's your friend.

If I had all the pieces to do the FI swap when I received my 5.2 Magnum for free, I would've made the swap. I did it in my Mustang...single worst part was modifying my fuel system to run the high pressure but I mimicked the factory style fuel system principles, just with AN fittings and high pressure braided lines (read: expensive). Apart from that-the electronics, wiring, sensors, et al to convert it aren't that difficult to figure out with a few cups of coffee and a multimeter.

Carbs are certainly simple, and I won't tell you the idea is foolish or anything like that-but I would encourage you to look into using the FI, especially since you have all the parts readily available to you. JMO though...

use the 69 front dress. you can use the 69 dizzy. there are only a few magnum specific intakes. the hardest part would be getting the kick down linkage geometry correct. i elimanated it with a manual valvebody in my d150

Use the starter off the Magnum.,nice piece. Headers fit,mock them on the engine with a engine stand.. The truck mount pedestals,might hit,
get your grinder out then Applause given,for the carb setup.

Auto or manual? There's extra considerations if going manual.

I'm sticking with the rebuilt 904 that is mated to the 318 that is in the dart. I drive the jeep daily and it runs like a raped ape. Has 196k miles on it too. The jeep is a rust bucket from Canada, so robbing such a rare vehicle of it's engine doesn't bother me much. It is my daily driver so I will miss the luxury of the zj, but the fact that my grandma's dart will be running 13's excites me enough to kill the jeep. The interior is a 7/10, so any takers im me. The Dana 44 rear end will be going in my '98 xj.

Welcome to FABO!

Bomber's suggestion is right on-there are also plenty of folks here on FABO who've done the swap and can offer helpful advise-use the search function-it's your friend.

If I had all the pieces to do the FI swap when I received my 5.2 Magnum for free, I would've made the swap. I did it in my Mustang...single worst part was modifying my fuel system to run the high pressure but I mimicked the factory style fuel system principles, just with AN fittings and high pressure braided lines (read: expensive). Apart from that-the electronics, wiring, sensors, et al to convert it aren't that difficult to figure out with a few cups of coffee and a multimeter.

Carbs are certainly simple, and I won't tell you the idea is foolish or anything like that-but I would encourage you to look into using the FI, especially since you have all the parts readily available to you. JMO though...

Tried the searching, not much I could find. Maybe terrible keywords? 5.9 magnum swap? Seems good for me. What I've found is that a problem may lie with intake choices for carberated Magnumswap. I plan on keeping the magnum heads untouched, maybe replace the head gaskets but cracks are not a concern since it will be a strictly street daily driver. I do hope to replace the cam with a very streetable cam with a good lope. Experienced input needed badly as I plan to finish this before the dreaded Arizona summer begins starting in April lol.

Tried the searching, not much I could find. Maybe terrible keywords? 5.9 magnum swap? Seems good for me. What I've found is that a problem may lie with intake choices for carberated Magnumswap. I plan on keeping the magnum heads untouched, maybe replace the head gaskets but cracks are not a concern since it will be a strictly street daily driver. I do hope to replace the cam with a very streetable cam with a good lope. Experienced input needed badly as I plan to finish this before the dreaded Arizona summer begins starting in April lol.

Only a few intakes for a Magnum with a Carb.Direct Connection has the M1 single plane & a OEM style dual plane. Edelbrock does the Rpm air gap,professional products does a cheaper version of the Edelbrock. Pretty much your choices.A new cam,WILL require stiffer valve springs & retainers. Hughes can help you there. You can have your cam core reground for 125-150. Oregon Cams,Bullitt and Delta Cams can help you there. A new roller ,usually 300.00 on up.

If it has 196k miles I would replace the valve springs anyways. They are worn out whether you swap cams or not.

Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing in a mild cam for a little better performance and some lope. Hell, the more I think about it I may pull the heads, check for cracks and do some mild porting myself. I'm an aerospace tig welder, I may be able to repair the cracks myself.

The cracks aren't big enough to worry about and they don't effect anything. Pull them if you want replace springs and valve seals do whatever "port" work you want and put them back on. No need to concern yourself with the cracks.

Corey,Dusted 72,makes some good points. Some bowl porting,helps beneficial through .450" -.480" lift.On stock heads ,with uncut guides : The spring number,Hughes 1110. With matching retainers,.530" lift safely. What gears/converter ,are you thinking?....

I bet a Dart with a warmed up 5.9 good gearing and suspension would be capable of a solid 12 sec ET

This space brought to you ,by Studebaker.The car of the future.......
Hollywood Knights,1980......

I bet a Dart with a warmed up 5.9 good gearing and suspension would be capable of a solid 12 sec ET

I know of at least 1 person with bone stock heads and shortblock that is in the mid-11's in a Dakota. 11.59 to be exact in a clubcab even.

I'm thinking I'll keep the 3.55 gear to keep the highway rpms down. I'd like to use the stock 5.9 limited converter if it's possible.

3:55's are what I have in mine.(727/360 Magnum) The stock 5.9 late model converter,doesn't fit a 904,as far as I know(and highly doubt it).

That Dana 44 in the zj I believe is the dana 44a. There is very little after market parts for them. If you have a 98xj it should have a 29spline 8.25(comparable in strength to a 44)im running 36" tsl on my 99xj. unless you have abs, then its a Dana 35(weakness). Did you plan to swap over the link setup and ditch your leafs too?

This is what I used on my 5.9 Mag in my 84 RamCharger for kickdown & throttle

Attachments

• SAM_3658.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 342
That Dana 44 in the zj I believe is the dana 44a. There is very little after market parts for them. If you have a 98xj it should have a 29spline 8.25(comparable in strength to a 44)im running 36" tsl on my 99xj. unless you have abs, then its a Dana 35(weakness). Did you plan to swap over the link setup and ditch your leafs too?

Let me correct myself prostocker, I know the 8 1/4 is almost as strong as the 44a. I'm really saving it for a spare or a friend.

-
Back