5 spd. conversion thread

-
i hope nobody has given up on me yet! i got a little done over the last couple days. yesterday i got my rocky mtn. dash insert fit and ready to mount. pretty nerve wracking cutting up the dash! tonight,me and my stepson worked on getting the clutch slave cyl. mounted. we had get imaginative with masaging the shock tower where the slave hits it. of course,with the motor and all in,this sucks! we overcame and i will post some pics tomorrow. hopefully i can get the gauge insert mounted and it will be ready to wire in.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing your progress. How much did you have to "massage" your shock tower to get the hydraulic cylinder to fit? Did Keisler mention that part in the instructions?

I'm considering the same kit for my car, but I'm not too excited about denting up the freshly painted engine bay.

Thanks!
Scott

Nice work, and thanks for sharing your progress. How much did you have to "massage" your shock tower to get the hydraulic cylinder to fit? Did Keisler mention that part in the instructions?

I'm considering the same kit for my car, but I'm not too excited about denting up the freshly painted engine bay.

Thanks!
Scott

thanks! to be honest i can't remember if anything was mentioned,i'll check if i think about it. i found a piece at work with about a 3/4 radius nose on it,put a piece of rubber under it and whacked it with a sledge hammer! pretty backwoods,but it worked. with the motor out,it would be alot easier. i think if i were you i would decide on a kit a fit everything now. your 'cuda looks sweet in the avatar!

thanks! to be honest i can't remember if anything was mentioned,i'll check if i think about it. i found a piece at work with about a 3/4 radius nose on it,put a piece of rubber under it and whacked it with a sledge hammer! pretty backwoods,but it worked. with the motor out,it would be alot easier. i think if i were you i would decide on a kit a fit everything now. your 'cuda looks sweet in the avatar!

Thanks, I just wish I was as far along as you on this project. Nothing wrong with backwoods tech, it looks like your method worked well. I was debating between the Keisler and American Powertrain hydraulic clutch setup. The Keisler setup looks like it has some higher quality parts in it (aluminum master cylinder vs plastic) so I'll probably go with Keisler.

I'll check back often to see your progress and hopefully learn from your adventure...

Scott

thanks! the little master cyl. is plastic,the slave is a wilwood unit,aluminum.

I wonder how different this unit is vice the new RS 600 5 speed unit?

Are the pedals reproduction or restored originals? Any pics of the pedals?

You wouldn't happen to have any pic's of the backside of your RMD dash planning on making some.And would like to see there's. The install look's good.

You wouldn't happen to have any pic's of the backside of your RMD dash planning on making some.And would like to see there's. The install look's good.

i don't think i have any of the back. i have to take it back out and finish wiring so if i remember i will take some. thanks for the compliment.

ANOTHER update! i got through a serious step today. having never welded sheetmetal,i have been worried about doing this for months! well it is done now! i think it turned out pretty well for an ameture. i got it on the lift and primered the underside and letting it dry tonight. tomorrow i am going to spray some expandable foam. i'll sand it down and smooth it out,paint,undercoat,and put the trans. in for good friday i hope. again,let me know what you think. after having work done at some "experienced" shops,i don't think they would take the time to do any better.

View attachment DSC03073 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03074 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03087 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03088 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03093 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03094 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03095 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03096 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03097 (800x600).jpg

i got a little more done today! i sprayed the expandable foam in the cracks and had to wait for it to set up,so i took care of a couple other things. when the foam set up,i trimmed the excess and then belt sanded it smooth,primed and painted it. tomorrow i am going back with undercoating and i am done! i had to take care of the cover plate which was way more different than i planned! there is a cover for the bottom of the bellhousing that comes with the trans. i had my auto cover plate powdercoated after i straightened some parts of it and welded some nuts on the back for the little inspection plate. well,it had to be cut in half because of the lower cover! lol! no biggie though,easier to remove than add.
i got that all buttoned up and realized i had a couple braces that went to the auto bell from the block. i could only use one,but i feel better about at least having the one even if i don't need it. it had been cut already,so i cut it again,lined it up,bent one side a little,welded it back and she is ready to powder coat. tune in tomorrow night. hopefully the trans will be in for good!

View attachment DSC03099 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03104 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03106 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03108 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03101 (800x600).jpg

View attachment DSC03102 (800x600).jpg

Why bother with the tremec, Passion transmissions is coming out with an a855 5 speed a direct bolt in no mods required. Its based off ths old a833 design.

Why bother with the tremec, Passion transmissions is coming out with an a855 5 speed a direct bolt in no mods required. Its based off ths old a833 design.

First off why bother posting that crap? Second off the passion kit was not avalible when he bought this kit last December. DUH!

First off why bother posting that crap? Second off the passion kit was not avalible when he bought this kit last December. DUH!

lol! thanks,i didn't have to say it. my tremec is good to 600 lb/ft of torque also.

-
Back