6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
I included the exhaust as a result of my method for bending. The electricians at work have a large hyd conduit bender set up. While they will emphatically explain to you all the reasons it will not work and why you need to go to a muffler shop to bend exhaust, I give you exhibit “A” above. Hah. Teach Them to be to lazy to load it up at night. Never know what might get bent when the lights go out.

Love those Demon ***'s. I like them fuel line clamps too. Cherry bombs too.

I did plastic repair on my Demon tailights as well. I thought it would be cool to have sequential signals. I won't say the M word.

Well finally got back to ND and working on Demon. Wiring just kind of sucks, it takes a lot of time and you really can’t see the progress most of the time. Today I worked on wiring up power and ground to block, plus attacked the dual fans and associated relays etc. first pix is of the handiest tool ever for crimping battery ends. A 4 pound hammer and wham you are done. Note to self when you feed the wire thru the fire wall without the rubber grommet just to get rough dimensions on how to cut and route the wire don’t get all excited and crimp the end on prior to feeding back thru firewall and installing rubber grommet. Go head, ask me how I know! Hah! I am such a bone head on occasion. I also fabricated a sexy aluminum bracket attached to the flywheel dust cover to hold ground wire off of headers. The other pix are of the jumper terminal strip and ensuing wires for dual fans and relays, sensors etc. I just have it kind of generally heading in the right directions in the pix, I will sort it out tomorrow when I am fresh. I am whipped and need a shower and a toddy, done for the day.

D93BBF25-3B13-4FB6-A74A-DD2055871638.jpeg

C652871D-92B3-4AB4-AAA7-67B0F31760EA.jpeg

7111449D-A1CD-4D2F-9226-3408DEDA039D.jpeg

40B2F972-CBC5-450D-91B0-9EB94CEDFE68.jpeg

I use that same tool making weld cable for my stud guns. Seems to handle 1600 amps long through it just fine. I think it will handle the current going through your battery cable.

In my defense if my wife was home she would have already taken any and all communication devices away from me. I spent the entire day day in shop wiring like a dog. Of course sipping an occasional toddy may have happened as well. End result is a lot of wiring got done but perhaps one of us is AFU. The wind up here howled today 35 mph sustained with gusts up to 50 mph all honking day. Great day to hide in shop. I got dual fans all wired, GPS wired, air temp sensor wired, starter all done and buttoned up complete with heat shielding, fixed my bone head rubber grommet issue, and I totally lost my spindle Mopar socket that I have secretly squirreled away so that I would not lose it. My apologies for not doing the best on photos but clearly I was getting trashed instead of taking care of business! Hah! A couple of my Brothers from another Mother will understand! Namely one from Montana and my non fixed wing, rotor head down in Carolinas! Holy smokes what a fun day! And as an aside several folks reached out asking for a better pix of my handy dandy lug crimping tool, so there it is. You can find them at most auto parts stores. Not sure I got every tool I owned out today or not, but I got close! Hah! Have a great week all!

63E97748-2AA2-420D-9DE9-CE5C18A8C1C8.jpeg

D8B7D2F0-7929-43E7-A582-17B5F2F66889.jpeg

E7BC53B4-60EE-4B00-8369-E621002D2E2C.jpeg

So after pondering one of you eagle eyed Readers comment with regard to location of circuit box and high beam switch on floor. I really got to looking at it again. Then I had a Eureka thought, I had just got done wiring in the head light switch, complete with high beams! Don’t even need the honking foot switch! I tossed it. However by then I had decided to relocate it yet again to make room for additional Dakota box’s.

21AD75E0-3048-4D7B-9156-5FB781DC5D32.jpeg

Today I tackled the foot pedals. I will spare you all the evolution of thought and many trial and error placement issues as a result of firewall modifications due to Gen 3, steering clearance blah blah. Long story short I decided to fabricate a mounting platform for the pedals. As I was taking a photo it dawned on me in the end I always select function over form. I think I will always be a racer at heart and the many design solutions on this car are track based. Not sure I can do pretty. I am building a daily driver but I think it is sure going to look and behave like a race car.

6998D921-8355-4FA4-B6E4-FD7801D1D750.jpeg

ACBB096C-CDD9-49EE-ADA1-88E7A8A9D4B9.jpeg

31F30635-A8C5-427E-B816-168830555780.jpeg

For those wondering why all my tools have a splash of Sublime paint on them, I will explain. So I spent many years on the road all over the world, building plants and doing fancy stainless welding or whatever. On large industrial jobsites it is nothing to have 100s of skilled tradesmen each with a merry band of helpers and apprentices. At the end of the day the helpers start gathering up tools as tools are scattered all over creation both horizontally and vertically! Folks like me are hood down till it is time to roll, Bossman ain’t making no money if we are hoods up! So the helpers all know what paint splash tool goes into what box. No more complex than that. Thus most every tool I own has a splash of green on it!

Today I started in on radio head and amp. I know many on here say they don’t need music they just want to hear the Hemi purr, but I like me some jams! So I am beginning to see a trend here? I made yet another platform box for amp. I guess it comes from being at track and needing to swap this or that out in a hurry. The bolts are all predrilled and welded backside so ya only need one wrench and no helper. I pre wired the amp up and tomorrow I will weld the backing plate into place, high center on the tunnel under the dash and out of the way.

D788320B-4ACA-4163-B622-099A8BA78768.jpeg

A387B207-4E8D-43D3-AAAA-44F2FDF3E43B.jpeg

E76F75E3-C967-4BA9-90CF-4D66F0101F77.jpeg

0506B0B0-BBAC-4703-9A78-C508FB45601F.jpeg

You and I are think alike with our more than adequate mounting plates and brackets. That amp looks nice and compact, but I'm concerned. Is it going to put out the 2,000+ watts necessary for your jams??? lolol Kidding!
How many watts DOES that nice sized amp put out?

You and I are think alike with our more than adequate mounting plates and brackets. That amp looks nice and compact, but I'm concerned. Is it going to put out the 2,000+ watts necessary for your jams??? lolol Kidding!
How many watts DOES that nice sized amp put out?
Hah! Nothing flashy here, just a small Kenwood unit. 50 watts per speaker. I do not like a lot of base and the music associated with that. I can do good Country, Blues and Rock. In heavy traffic I like classical instrumental. I am all over the place with music, I can listen to, and enjoy just about anything. Does not even need to be in English! Of course you are talking to a guy who has a Broadway Phantom of the Opera poster nestled right next to a Led Zepplin poster, underneath a Knight on a horse charging a Windmill. (Thanks Dd!) Pretty eclectic taste in both art and music.

Figured a picture is worth a thousand words. The broom is handmade by a family member for use in our wedding ceremony. Our family is Scottish on all four sides. A broom jump is part of wedding celebration! As is a full moon and hand binding!

151FCC5F-EBB2-4045-AAE0-DFA03FD3B034.jpeg

So I have to actually work today at the pistol range so decided to jump on wiring early this morning. I wasn’t man enough to go under the dash this morning so I focused on sorting out the front harness. Doing all the routing etc. I know it is anal but I even measure out my heat shrink so it all looks the same. I am getting ready to wire in the terminal strip, fans, GPS, and outside air temp. I have the devices located and wired from front bumper back. I then leave the other end wild and labeled so I can make a neat tidy connection.

A53169C1-B620-4FCB-ACF6-BD77E25E2715.jpeg

8A570D70-F9CA-400D-B325-9DE927A6DC44.jpeg

278596AD-9436-4C6C-ACF6-811AA779D901.jpeg

AEBD7D16-ED54-418B-A021-298071F1CAEA.jpeg

So here is that same terminal strip at end of day. The bundle is entire front harness, from fans to GPS to headlights. I am waiting on Summit to deliver my cloth wire Wire sheath then it will be pretty. Not much done today as I had to work the pistol range today. Also included a shot of shells with center caps installed. Sexy!

98C2CC72-10DF-490B-B001-FDE88ED8F89A.jpeg

38818819-7929-47F4-8757-2D655E815608.jpeg

662EC176-A6ED-455C-B543-EA9881A426C2.jpeg

So here is the other side, I am still waiting on Summit for some pretties to finish wiring but I am getting close. Passenger side is 12v in from starter, two cooling fans, 12v fused out, 12v non fused out. The terminal on Passenger side is a “Hot” terminal, not just a jumper. Every lug is 12v
DD803B6C-EEBF-4F3F-9350-551AC0EE580A.jpeg

So a lot of the wiring is sorted out. Time to move on to the plumbing. I finally gave in and decided to do a drawing, this always makes things clearer and saves me money. Did I mention a good well thought out plan saves you money? So anyway I sorted out the pedal plumbing tonight. Attached is my drawing, I will source and purchase associated fittings tomorrow. Did I happen to mention a well thought out plan will save you money? Rest assured plans AB and C are in the trash! I find it is simply impossible to get it right first time!

B3B7E4CE-BCAE-4593-AB7C-B0C9C7F7E8E0.jpeg

Well I figured what the heck, since I am posting drawings here is one I made for my electrical. I think I have posted one version (old) of it already? I might add a well thought out plan will save you money and many adjectives! Hah! This might help someone on here trying to wire from scratch.

2A611F43-4574-4A20-A983-72443B3441FC.jpeg

Then I decided while I was in the groove I would attack driver side. Shop is now well past 80 degrees. I give. I realize to many of you that is not hot, keep in mind up here we just do not get very many 90 degree days and we get a grand total of zero 100 degree days. I am hot, ribs are killing me and I have a gash on the top of my head. At 235 pounds on 6-2 I don’t fit well under there! Pix are before and kind of midway is where I stopped. Total PITA

7FA9A481-11D5-40C3-AF46-B4407EF48AC0.jpeg

-
Back