6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
Spot on Kosmic! I totally agree. I got mine this week as well. I spent yesterday changing out water pump and I installed the DIY spacer. I may have had a toddy or two and failed to get a pix. I will take one this morning of how it looks in place. I should know as I put it on twice, once backwards with sensors facing front and once correctly! You get it turned around sometimes when you do all the pre plumbing on the bench then put the whole assembled water pump in place! What an idiot! But nobody but Hemi saw me do it, so all good! Wife went to see our boy on East Coast, he is stationed at Ft Meade. So I am a bachelor all week! I even snuck in a microwaved chicken pot pie yesterday! Man I love those ! About a million calories and not much nutritional value! I see some fried chicken in my future this week as well.
Oh man those Marie calendars chicken pot pies. I like to add cheese on top to, I better get some from the store next time.

Spot on Kosmic! I totally agree. I got mine this week as well. I spent yesterday changing out water pump and I installed the DIY spacer. I may have had a toddy or two and failed to get a pix. I will take one this morning of how it looks in place. I should know as I put it on twice, once backwards with sensors facing front and once correctly! You get it turned around sometimes when you do all the pre plumbing on the bench then put the whole assembled water pump in place! What an idiot! But nobody but Hemi saw me do it, so all good! Wife went to see our boy on East Coast, he is stationed at Ft Meade. So I am a bachelor all week! I even snuck in a microwaved chicken pot pie yesterday! Man I love those ! About a million calories and not much nutritional value! I see some fried chicken in my future this week as well.
Wife gone?
Party at Johns house I'll bring the steaks and shrimp! lol
If you were a tad bit closer I would...

Well I couldn’t stand it, I am in house waiting for the shop to heat up, so decided to run out to shop and take a quick pix. Shop is already up to 40 degrees so all good. Not quite as cold as it has been here lately. I think we will get up into mid twenties today. I will take it! Everyday it is that warm we are one day closer to Spring. Here is the pix of the DIY part installed. I was thrilled to get rid of my home made brass piece I made! I still need to tidy the wiring back up from the disassembly but there it is.

57AE489F-F86D-4695-B93C-EB5C15B0B0E7.jpeg

Good progress Brother. Keep knocking it out so when I get back to civilization you have all the answers for the questions I have for my project.
Can’t wait for the start up.

So today was a thrash day on the Demon. Christmas chaos is over and life is beginning to resemble some lunatic brand of normalcy. I got all the brake lines for the front built and plumbed. Of course I had a plumbing drawing I so carefully thought out and double checked. Yep, you guys are right, once I got under the car and started running line I never even looked at it. Right up till the end and I was counting connections thinking to myself WTF I am one short? Ensuing investigation results are, I omitted a Tee fitting and plumbed each side of front with its own independent line into firewall. What a idiot! On plus side third time is a charm I now have her topped off with water and oil and nary a single leak. See enclosed photo of dry floor, that may seem silly to some of you who wonder why. But when you have fabricated and home made plumbed so much of this swap no leaks or missed fittings are a big deal! Snow pix is just free!

2DC3B9BF-C2D2-4EF9-8FC2-25942834FEE9.jpeg

As a result of getting front plumbing all done I got to hang front tire and wheel for first time as well and lower the car on the ground and check out stance with motor in etc. what do you guys think of stance? I know, like asking what is best cam! Anyway it was first attempt at setting coil over shocks to handle the weight. You can also see my custom Demon decal to go with color scheme. The pix don’t really show the stance as I don’t have that much shop space!

89110D2B-C2B8-4EF4-8BBF-F79C05032657.jpeg

A7A7554D-22B7-42FB-803C-BE5C1244BE3A.jpeg

EE5095B8-E0FC-48EB-BA30-BBD9811763F2.jpeg

B52E1590-BD14-4BB6-B30E-D0826A6C367E.jpeg

Looks great John. Plan to drive it to MIP this year? Weather permitting, my Demon will be there....and some Oatmeal Stouts..

Looks great John. Plan to drive it to MIP this year? Weather permitting, my Demon will be there....and some Oatmeal Stouts..
Totally driving it there! I just got my newsletter from the group that hosts MIP they seem pretty determined to have it this year. They mentioned repeatedly they will have more ports pots!

Totally driving it there! I just got my newsletter from the group that hosts MIP they seem pretty determined to have it this year. They mentioned repeatedly they will have more ports pots!

Can't wait...will have to put together a group chat as we get closer! Happy New Years my friend

So I got all jacked up over hanging the tires on I did not post any front plumbing pix. My bad! Here ya go, keep in mind I need to tidy it up with some brackets and tie downs or what have you but it is all plumbed. And my Tee issue is resolved! I remembered it this morning!
D349A224-AA82-4B45-9F34-05036A99E54C.jpeg
E1DC8648-F2C9-4DD5-9575-AA86466715FC.jpeg

Supervised it looks like he? just woke up from a nap.
Hemi owns that chair and you can bribe her with all the beef jerky in a big bag but not gonna let anyone sit in it. Don't ask me how I know. lol
Good dog really and smart as well she remembers me bringing her treats even after a few months and with a had full of jerky she lets me invade Johns liquor cabinet.

I did not mention it as I sometimes forget there may be some new folks to this hobby reading this thread but when I say fabricate brake lines that means you purchase raw tube deburr it inside and out then use the handy dandy flaring tool like one pictured to flare the ends. And don’t forget to put your fitting on the tube BEFORE you flare the end! Hah! Ask me how I know. Anyway there are a lot of flaring kits out there. I am not satisfied one is any better than another as they just don’t get used a lot. I like this one because it has the small male dies that go in the tube for the double flare.

7B5654CF-68E1-4E28-8A5C-CDA477BB8CA8.jpeg

Today I am prepping to verify wiring so got me a bunch of bulbs. Before I put power on I will disconnect fuel pump power! Just kind of making sure horn don’t go off when I hit light switch! Not sure what kind of wiring issues I will have but rest assured I will have some!

F91BF549-A34B-48A2-96E5-8188FB293152.jpeg

Today I am prepping to verify wiring so got me a bunch of bulbs. Before I put power on I will disconnect fuel pump power! Just kind of making sure horn don’t go off when I hit light switch! Not sure what kind of wiring issues I will have but rest assured I will have some!

View attachment 1715662281
Are you making your own wiring harness or did you get one for the head lights and tail lights?

Yes! I made my own harness but also used portions of front clip from classic industries. Mainly I wanted all the sockets. Buying harness did not gain me any ground as I used a flaming river steering wheel and had to tie wiring into modern Hemi and Holley EFI software. I just bought the sockets and a bunch of wire. My color coding is not by any means accurate to OEM spec. But I did make a wire drawing on poster board that I can photograph for any one who is interested. I would wait tho on that, to ensure the whole thing doesn’t go up in flames when I connect power to it!

So last test fit on pedal module. All the plumbing is zip tied up and out of the way. It will all connect to bulkhead plate I made. I am done for the day. I like to do my creative stuff in the mornings and my grunt labor stuff in the afternoons. I am whipped. I got a lot done today but not much worth seeing. Just prepping to put power to everything. Last minute double dog checks etc.

002787E5-0B47-44EC-8B31-1EDFB80145FC.jpeg

So last test fit on pedal module. All the plumbing is zip tied up and out of the way. It will all connect to bulkhead plate I made. I am done for the day. I like to do my creative stuff in the mornings and my grunt labor stuff in the afternoons. I am whipped. I got a lot done today but not much worth seeing. Just prepping to put power to everything. Last minute double dog checks etc.

View attachment 1715662437
Same here on the labor for the day I'm done as well.

The reason I went with floor mount is two fold. First being I am well over six feet and I just don’t fit in these cars very well with normal seat and pedal position. I have been a welder and an athlete my entire life so have titanium knee replacement so being folded up hurts. Plus car was not a three pedal car toss in the aftermarket steering wheel and you really have no idea where the pedals are going to end up. In addition the racer in me loves all things modular, and the ability to seriously control braking front to back. And in beginning I needed to use the modern Mopar gas pedal for drive by wire so none of pedals match. In the end I tossed OEM gas pedal and got the Wilwood set. Kind of a long winded answer but that was the evolution of thought and primary drivers for my decision. I have raced my whole life so my default position is to build it like you would a race car. I would totally suck at doing a actual restoration!

View attachment 1715662281
Diggin' the Shovelhead in the pic.

My Brother (RIP)
so full disclosure my Brother and I built Harleys for years, our family is you could say fully immersed in the the bike world. I had my first motorcycle wreck on back of my grandfathers Harley in a liquor store parking lot. My children spent a lot of time in a Clubhouse with more uncles than they ever knew. And well... a lot of strippers for moms! Hah! So not A body related but anyone who likes and can recognize a shovel gets a response! Pix included are me and my older (RIP) Brothers Shovels side by side. As you can see just like the Demon our bikes are stretched so that we can sit comfortably and easily ride for miles. The other pix on red bike (RIP) you can see the wisdom of stretched frame he was 6-5 the other pix is my oldest Brother catching some wind on his knuck. He is 6-8. I am the runt of the litter! And that is why we move pedals! Hah. Thanks for the memories 408!

1688E83D-A76A-4FD1-9109-8CD64AF9F9D7.jpeg

3A742491-3236-4148-B816-74B2D7441AD6.jpeg

9970F080-1538-4C39-A3E5-D839B700B458.jpeg

My old man won't ride anything but a Shovel. Thanks for the pics!

-
Back