62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
I had a chance to do some more work on the roll bar today I got most of the welding done and I installed the back brace bar I plan on putting swing outs on both driver's side and the passenger side I'm going to order some slotted clevis in the morning so I can get this button ed up:D
I hoping on my next two days off which is next Tuesday Wednesday I should be ready to drop the motor and transmission back into the TOAD but will see
I still have a long list of things to do but I'm starting to see the lite at the end of the tunnel
IMG_20120416_212234.jpg

IMG_20120416_212257.jpg

Aaron

I had a chance to do some more work on the roll bar today I got most of the welding done and I installed the back brace bar I plan on putting swing outs on both driver's side and the passenger side I'm going to order some slotted clevis in the morning so I can get this button ed up:D
I hoping on my next two days off which is next Tuesday Wednesday I should be ready to drop the motor and transmission back into the TOAD but will see
I still have a long list of things to do but I'm starting to see the lite at the end of the tunnelAaron

That looks really solid, Aaron; your usual good job. I hope you never need it!!!:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Keep us posted, please!

Well I've got to say that this has been some awesome reading,and an eye opener on the self done welding and all !!!:prayer::prayer::prayer: I look forward to the final efforts !!!:hello1::hello1:

Thanks Dennis ill admit this is the first car I've done in almost 15 years and I use to have to pay other people for there time and expertise but now I no I can do just about anything. The Internet is amazing I'm always doing research and watching videos and these forums just blow my mind. I've been into mopars my whole life and I'll admit this has been one of the most satisfying builds I've done
Thanks for the kind words and stay tuned
Aaron

I'll admit this has been one of the most satisfying builds I've done
Aaron

If you think it's satisfying now, just wait until you turn that Toad on with about 25 pounds of boost in 1st gear! Talk about satisfying!!!! YOU AIN'T SEEN NUTHIN' YET!!! :hello1:

My choice for the first A Body in the nines!!! TOAD RULES!!!:prayer:

Right now, Ryan Peterson has a huge head-start on all of us, but you're defintely on the right track!!!
:happy1:

Bill my goal for this season is to break into the 11s on this junk yard motor and it will give me some time to dail everything in. I'm In the process of gathering parts for a new short block now and I hope to start the machine work on it next month but will see
What's the latest on you and Freddie progress we need a update!
As for the nine second mark will just have to see about that I'd like to think my chassis prep and work should beable to handle it but that's another will see
But like I've said in the past this thing wouldn't be where it is without all the great knowledge and advise I've received from the couple of forums that I troll everyday
Aaron

Bill my goal for this season is to break into the 11s on this junk yard motor and it will give me some time to dail everything in. I'm In the process of gathering parts for a new short block now and I hope to start the machine work on it next month but will see
What's the latest on you and Freddie progress we need a update!
As for the nine second mark will just have to see about that I'd like to think my chassis prep and work should beable to handle it but that's another will see
But like I've said in the past this thing wouldn't be where it is without all the great knowledge and advise I've received from the couple of forums that I troll everyday
Aaron

I hope your junk yard motor runs as well as you want it to. I din't realize that you were taking that approach, but I agree that it's definitel the smart thing to do. Keep us posted.

Our car is getting closer to completion, but hasn't made any giant stepa, lately. The fuel lines are all in place, and the new plug wires are on. Jut some 12-volt wiring and fuel fittings and we're done. I'll post pictures when we are ready to roll.
Thanks for your interest and support!

Bill I don't want to be misleading when I say junk yard motor its got about 40000 plus miles on but remember I did install arp studs through out, turbo grind cam, double roller chain, ported and polished head, hi flow oil pump, O ringed block
I just didn't go through the bottom half of the motor because I'm going to do a long rod motor with turbo pistons and the funds weren't there at the time
But I'm gathering all the parts and pieces now so after I get the thing down to the track and see what it will do I should have my back motor ready to go by mid summer
Aaron

Bill I don't want to be misleading when I say junk yard motor its got about 40000 plus miles on but remember I did install arp studs through out, turbo grind cam, double roller chain, ported and polished head, hi flow oil pump, O ringed block
I just didn't go through the bottom half of the motor because I'm going to do a long rod motor with turbo pistons and the funds weren't there at the time
But I'm gathering all the parts and pieces now so after I get the thing down to the track and see what it will do I should have my back motor ready to go by mid summer
Aaron

Yes, that's a long way from a junk yard motor... and, should work well for you to get a viable baseline setup. We probably should have done something like that.

Great plan, Aaron! Thanks for the explanation. I get it, now! :glasses7:

Good luck!!!

No Bill I cut it out when I had the four speed in it but no real big deal I'm getting close to getting this thing back together I've had some unexpected family issues in the last week but everything is all good
Thanks Aaron

No Bill I cut it out when I had the four speed in it but no real big deal I'm getting close to getting this thing back together I've had some unexpected family issues in the last week but everything is all good
Thanks Aaron

Glad to hear you're making progress!

We are working on the fuel system, and MIGHT have that finished by next weekend (not the coming one.)

I now have all the fittings, and tubing necessary to connect the 2 (two) filters, pump, regulator, carb, and by-pass line. Just need to screw it together.

Checked out the tranny today on the street, with an improptu (temporary) fuel system, and we have all 3 gears... 904/Turbo Action valve body with a reverse pattern, and a Turbo Action shifter to work it. It all works, so far...

Then, when the fuel system is done, we have to wire the car, but we hace all the stuff to do it; just have to git-r-dun...

Might actually get to run this thing this year!! LOL! It would be great to take it to that Cedar Falls, Iowa race this fall.... 650 miles, one-way from here.. At 3.75/gallon, probably not gonna happen... :sad7:

Bill I'm hoping to make one of the slant races in the fall either Iowa or the KY race I believe there both the first week of October
Also Bill you've never blessed us with any video of that valiant running yet I'm sure all the members including myself would love to hear that thing run
We're awaiting patiently :coffee2:

As for the TOAD I have to finish up some welds on the roll bar and then I can drop the motor and transmission back into
Then a the fun begins

Bill I'm hoping to make one of the slant races in the fall either Iowa or the KY race I believe there both the first week of October
Also Bill you've never blessed us with any video of that valiant running yet I'm sure all the members including myself would love to hear that thing run
We're awaiting patiently :coffee2:

As for the TOAD I have to finish up some welds on the roll bar and then I can drop the motor and transmission back into
Then a the fun begins

I assume you're asking about the turbo slant six car and not my '72 Valiant with the Vortech/360. The fact is, we took the turbo header and 4bbl intake off the engine when we installed the worn-out 318 valve springs to break in the cam and have not yet re-installed the turbo setup. That will happen soon, though; I am sick of looking at it with that 1-bbl.... LOL!

You'll be the first to know....
:wack:

Attachments

• js640_js640_IMG_0619.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 560
Bill I decided on not using a intercooler I've done a bunch of research and there's a ton of guys over on the turbo forums pushing 800 HP not running a intercooler. You can see in the pics my meth injection system in the corner of the pics im thinking a direct shot from the turbine housing to the carb hat with next to no restrictions and my meth injector will be about six inches from the Inlet of the carb hat.
I can always change my setup and run a intercooler if I decide one is needed with next to no problem when I constructed the header I took that into consideration

Stay tuned
Aaron

Bill I decided on not using a intercooler I can always change my setup and run a intercooler if I decide one is needed with next to no problem when I constructed the header I took that into consideration

Stay tuned
Aaron

Well, I think you'll probably be OK without one, but I can see where if you go much over 25 pounds of boost. you MIGHT need one... dunno, really..
Ours was given to us, so we're gonna use it!!!

We will see?????
Bill I should have the motor and transmission all hooked back up and running by the end of next week if all goes according to plan atleast that's the game plan
I'm getting very excited to see this little TOAD of mine coming together its been along time coming
Aaron

The intercooler will help with engine temps in traffic,so if you do find it over heating while waiting for a red light I'd add it.

We will see?????
Bill I should have the motor and transmission all hooked back up and running by the end of next week if all goes according to plan atleast that's the game plan
I'm getting very excited to see this little TOAD of mine coming together its been along time coming
Aaron

Yes, I understand that you'd be getting a little impatient after all this time, but you have done such an EXCELLENT job so far, in putting everything together, I would hope that you take the necessary time to not hurry the final stages of this project and do your usual thing and dot all the i's and cross all the t's so that it has a mininium amount of "teething problems."

I am sure that after doing EVERYTHING right so far, you won't have a problem with that!

I'm very excited that you're so close to startup with this little jewel!

I think it's going to be a really fast car, and although you already have a group of quick cars in your stable, I'll bet that the TOAD becomes your favorite right away!

Gonna be a KILLER in the quarter mile; that's for sure!!!

Keep us posted; inquiring minds are REALLY interested in this one!!!!:cheers:

The intercooler will help with engine temps in traffic,so if you do find it over heating while waiting for a red light I'd add it.

I'm Alittle confused by that statement as is Bill I'd think setting at a red light with no air flow thru the fins of the intercooler there would be no cooling affects

Bill the TOAD is the only car in the stables at this time the ones stated in my signature are all cars I've had in the past this is the first car I've done in a long time almost 15 years my first car at 16 which I bought myself for $ 400 and was a mint 66 two door fury sedan 440 in 1988 and I've been hooked on mopars every Since

I'm going to give it a try without a intercooler first at this time I have extra IC piping and couplers so the only thing I'd need would be the actually IC which is no big deal once I get everything figured out ill take some temp reading with a inferred temp gun and see just what temp my in coming charge is
With the water cooled intake and turbo housing I'd have to say it should cool the charge considerable then add the meth injection to the equation I'd say the charge should come in Alot cooler

This is all just my opinion like I stated earlier there's a bunch of guys on the turbo forums pushing 800 HP not running a intercooler but ill be honest I'm not sure just how much boost they are running!

Aaron

Boost is what creates heat. So sitting in traffic your car is basically Naturally Aspirated. You may get a bit of heat soak by sucking in the under hood air but I don't believe it would be anything to worry about. Maybe use 2 Hobb switches, have 1 Meth Nozzle kick in at say 2 PSI with a light spray and the other kick in at say 8PSI on a bigger nozzle. This way when you move the car 15Ft in traffic you can get it up on 2 PSI the meth kicks in and cools it off. This is just a thought and very inexpensive to do this.

Another thought is a Momentary switch on the Dash that bypasses the Hobbs switch and lets you spray meth at will. Kind of like a Fuel Dump Switch that the Motorcycle guys use to use so they would not go lean and burn up their engines. This would cool it off like right now whenever you seen the need.

-
Back