68 valiant signet

-
i've just emailed a company in the states about flake. dawn says i should keep the valiant green but i want it metal flake so after looking at metalflake 'greens' for about an hour we've agreed on this colour. it's called poseidon and it's from a company called paint huffer Products
neil.

poseidon.jpeg

any car painted with that better get some lettering to go with it :thumbsup:

Is this flake going on the entire car or the roof only? What size is this flake?

Is this flake going on the entire car or the roof only? What size is this flake?
i'll flake the whole car, i've asked them if they think a 1/2lb jar will give heavy coverage on my car as i'd rather order too much than not enough.
it's what they call micro flake so not as big as the fairground flake i used on my anglia, pretty though :thumbsup:
POSEIDON

i just ordered a pedal assembly rebuild kit with pedal rubbers and a new clutch pedal pivot tube from brewers. it'll save time making parts and i'd still need pedal rubbers anyway so.....
i want to have all the parts i need so i haven't got to stop mid way through the build up due to a small missing part.
neil.

The micro flake was much easier to cover with clear than the larger flakes.

tell me about it, i put 5 heavy coats of big fairground flake on my anglia and then 6 heavy (unthinned) coats of 2k clear over the top. all in the same day.
neil.

today i opened the boot and passengers door of the valiant..... but to no avail.
icon13.gif

i was looking for an elusive 318 inlet manifold and it's cousin the single point distributor, but alas they still evaded capture.
icon_shake.gif

i did see the radiator lurking in the boot but that too was a disappointment as the bottom hose fitting is the wrong side.
icon_sad.gif

neil.

today i opened the boot and passengers door of the valiant..... but to no avail. View attachment 1715596846
i was looking for an elusive 318 inlet manifold and it's cousin the single point distributor, but alas they still evaded capture. View attachment 1715596847
i did see the radiator lurking in the boot but that too was a disappointment as the bottom hose fitting is the wrong side. View attachment 1715596848
neil.
possibly on holiday, hopefuly to return when the weather turns. what intake is it?

possibly on holiday, hopefuly to return when the weather turns. what intake is it?
stock iron 2 barrel for my spare 318 that i've sold to a mate. i put a wanted on the uk forums and within 1/2 an hour i'd got a free intake and a mallory dual point for £45, both to be delivered to me at the hot rod drags this weekend (there could be worse places to collect parts). i told the wife when (i know they're here somewhere) i find them i'll frame the fu**ers!
neil.

i bought this 'glass scoop at the swapmeet in march but it's not tall enough to clear the tunnel ram and carbs (it'll work with the 4 barrel). i'll keep it for now.
neil.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

this morning i took all of my slot mags to get the tyres fitted so i've got them ready when i need them. 2 x 5 1/2 x 15's with 165 x 15's, 2 x 8 1/2 x 15's with 295 x 50 x 15's and 2 x 10 x 15's with 29 x 15 1/2 x 15's. the plan is try the middle size on the back once the narrowed explorer axle's fitted and if they won't go under the arches i'll radius them and fit the bigguns sticking out the sides
icon_tup.gif
the skinnies of course will go on the straight tube axle up front.
neil.

this morning i dropped off a spare timing cover to have 1/4" (and a gasket thickness) machined off of the water pump mounting lip/raised bit so the pulleys still line up once the motor plate is sandwiched in there. it should be done to collect tomorrow hopefully.
neil.

the motor plate arrived from summit today, 5 days from order date! why does stuff take 10 days to a fortnight to get across the uk???? also the timing cover's done so i'll collect that tomorrow.
neil.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

it's been a while so i thought it was time to get started on the valiant........again
icon_smile.gif

so i moved a few bits so i could get to one of the explorer axles. i'd forgotten how heavy they are when complete
icon_eek.gif
after removing the calipers i could balance it enough to lift it up onto 2 large axle stands. next i removed the back cover and spun it over to drain the oil, nice and clean with no grey metal residue which was a good sign. then with the centre pin removed i slid off the discs and pulled the halfshafts, before refitting the back cover to keep the upcoming crap out of the diff. new toy time so i got my plasma cutter out and cut off the leaf spring perches and roll bar mounts and then ground the tubes clean/smooth. that's where i got to today.
next job of course is to cut the long side of the housing down so i can fit a second 'short side' halfshaft. this means if my measurements are right the 8 1/2" slot mags with 295 tyres will fit under the arches.
more soon, neil.

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

they're always waiting patiently for us to get back to them

i just bought a hurst competition plus shifter and bracket off a guy on rodsnsods (a uk forum). although i got the right handle for the inland shifter that came with the box i wanted a hurst one so it was just a case of waiting for one at the right price.
neil.

i finally got the valiant in and up off the ground today, my new 2 post lift works a treat
thumbsup2.gif
. my ceiling height limits me to having only 4 feet under the car but that's much better than being on my back with the car on chassis stands.
now i can get to work
biggrin.gif
neil.

IMG_0002 (7).JPG

IMG_0003 (4).JPG

finally something that's actually 'for' this car got done today! after getting my plasma cutter out and making it's new home i sorted some 6mm plate and cut out the parts for the rear leaf spring perches. i'm making them from 3 pieces and the reason is to centre the wheels in the rear arches (they're slightly forward stock). i've made the flat bit that sits on the spring too long so once i'm happy with the wheels position i can tack the parts together and to the axle casing then trim off the excess when i fully weld them. the side parts were clamped together so i could grind them all to the same shape/size.
neil.

IMG_0002 (12).JPG

IMG_0005 (7).JPG

IMG_0006 (5).JPG

-
Back