71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Working on 71 Duster..could not find my other set of pushrods....or slapped in the adjustable pushrod and ordered a set form Smith Bros....

turned attention to 904....thought it was the 904 that was gone thru 2 yrs ago...was just going to check a few things inside then put some new lip seals and sealing rings in it and call it good....well...after tearing it apart I realize this is an much older trans that came out of my 69 Barracuda...so rebuild this 904....got the clutch pacs done..waiting on a new set of bands...and go thru the pump with new bushing and seal...

was hoping to have this back in the car tomorrow but nope...

parts arrived......

904 going back together...just gotten put a new bushing and seal on pump...then assemble the front half...already got the drive train and servos installed...

going with a different converter...A-1 should flash a couple of hundred rpm higher..

Smith brother pushrods cam on tuesday...finally got them installed this evening and adjusted the valves...hope to have it all back together sat or sunday depending on the weather...

Figured out one thing about the missing pushrods...they are in a box that says smith brothers on it...LOL

nhra heritage series race in Phoenix mid Jan.... nice road trip :)

1st race in vegas is jan 23 2016

dam pump was giving was pain tonight...and then i go to air test the clutch pac and nothing...LOL

i forgot to hit them with air and the pump outside the case...i guess i get to do it over again tomorrow...

after a good night sleep...all my problems i believe went away...only had two bolt in the pump and they were not tight..so the air was leaking there...

took the pump back out..air tested the clutches with the pump..all good..put it back together clutches work..servos work...can turn input shaft...out put shaft turns..

so got it back together ...hope to drop it back in tomorrow morning..

the old tranzact brake from 1992..and the same old filter....

Attachments

• 20151219_100950_resized.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 20151219_102145_resized.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 20151219_102949_resized.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 20151219_125553_resized_1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 374
Got the engine and trans back in...begun hooking things up....need to the duster back on the lift so I can get the trans and starter connected...

probably wont fire the engine until later in the week..no header gaskets...

Wow...a guy i know here in Vegas...cleaning out his garage ...said he had 2 340s bare blocks and 2 360 bare blocks he needs to get rid of..told me to come and get them....

so santa comes twice in your house. lol sounds like a good score!

Wow...a guy i know here in Vegas...cleaning out his garage ...said he had 2 340s bare blocks and 2 360 bare blocks he needs to get rid of..told me to come and get them....

check vins on the 340's and let me know...

Got the engine and trans back in...begun hooking things up....need to the duster back on the lift so I can get the trans and starter connected...

probably wont fire the engine until later in the week..no header gaskets...

Engine is ready to refire...just go a few last minute thing to check....oil...water...tranny fluid..lol

picked up those blocks this morning...1 71 340..1 73 340...and 2 78 360s.....

the two 360 are 1978 motors....one is standard and the other is .040 over....

took a ball hone and wd 40 and the bores clean up rather well...got them wrapped in plastic...suppose to rain this week...

Nice raining tuesday....just needed the moody blues singing Tuesday Afternoon.....

Had to wait for my ace mechanic to get out of a training class before I could start...she wanted to help...

working on putting a new front end on my favorite duster...aka fuster...

Attachments

• 20160105_173928_resized.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160105_174001.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 252
  • 20160105_173949_resized.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 286
  • 20160105_173921.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 261
Spend the weekend working on Old motorhome....Tonya and I ripped out the old carpet...wall paper...and inside roof material ...some kind of paper with carpet on it..

Tonya picked out some wonderful colors to repaint the inside...i repaired the roof...caulking...picking up a gallon of the roof paint...

Got new stick on tile for the floor and new inside roof material....got a new carb coming this week also I think we spend more money then the old 1977 motorhome is worth...LOL

She is getting some new curtain and blinds...It still is a good towing vehicle with 360 in it...plus allows me to store tools...chairs...table...grill and all the other junk we take to the track....and with 3 cars...

We found some Gold linoleum under the carpet...beautiful 70s stuff...

I did get the 71 Duster fired while I was waiting for the paint to dry between coats.....

It's CrUnCh time team Santos!!!! are ya ready??? Since I have to meet a gentleman from Australia saturday night for a wide cast valve cover transaction... I might as well bring the car up. Have to work sat so no TnT... but I'll be there sat night and ready for Sunday!!

Well...things are coming together slowly...Tonya and I have been redoing the old motorhome..but things are going slower then we planned...like that is a surprise...interior repainted...new flooring installed...got new cushions...resealed the roof with rtv and elastomeric paint...new holley carb...

interior roof not done .... and counter top not done..

71 Duster ...been working on my favorite car...lol...

after firing the engine last weekend or whenever...could not find the trans dipstick...lol...finally found one...hell I got 10 trans lying around and can not find a dipstick....sometimes i think i have too much ****...so i could finally check the trans fluid..figured it needed two more quarts and yes it did...

put it in gear and run thru the forward gears...go to check reverse...dam..no reverse..you have to push of transbrake button for reverse to work.....but hard to see sitting in car...

After christin got home..had her set in car...and as i figured...no reverse..then check the brake in 1st gear...no brake...put car up in air with her in it...had voltage at connector...so the pan needs to come off ...I suspect the wire inside is no longer connected...as they say **** happens...at least it was on tuesday...

I got the new front end on that duster too...no more torsion bars..coil of shocks kit...need to do an alignment job on it...

then i gotta go to the DMV tomorrow...

just gotta adjust valves on the other two cars...check tire pressure..fit them up with that special fuel...

outside of all that ....and any unforeseen problems we will be ready to roll.....

ps...I am taking friday off from work...

Yet..went you are on roll...keep it going...

did you want me to bring that set of coil springs? .....or is all well.

After dropping the pan on the love of my life fuster....yes it is the wire...to be repaired and reinstalled tomorrow....one thing..sure was nice doing the work standing up and no torsion bars in the way..

Got the transbrake wiring fixed....frayed wire...

had to reset the toe on the front end...1/8" toed in...if i can read a tape measure and add and subtract....

couple of small things to do to duster tomorrow...gotta get the Demon down from the rafters...after i back out the 73 Duster as it is staying home this week...demon needs valves shafts tightened down and rocker checked...water ...fuel... batteries charged and away we go....

same thing needs to be done with the Dart...

I took the day off...floating holiday ...what a wonderful company i work for now...

For those that dont know..... "Floating Holiday"... Thats a day off with pay !!!!!
Good for you Tony !!!!!

For those that dont know..... "Floating Holiday"... Thats a day off with pay !!!!!
Good for you Tony !!!!!

Yes..it is...worked my *** off today getting cars loaded...

got a few bugs still hanging out there...that is life...got a month after this weekend to fix those..

unless you book home in short order tomorrow.... we'll see you tomorrow night! Kind of stoked for Sunday!

-
Back