73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Mark..how's the Demon coming....you lose your camera??.....or nothin' new to shoot??

Hey 76, check out Weld Wheels in the in RT-S Series. They have a wheel called the S71,,,has tons of width and backspacing options. Pricing in 15" is excellent, 17" $$$ is so so and 18" gets pricey. I bought a set 15x10.25" wih a 29/12.5 for my minitubbed Demon, very happy with them. Section width on my Sportsman pros is 13.5" fills the well up nicely. I had to go with lots of back spacing because of stock axle width. I was also limited in space where the quarter meets the wheel well. My build is in progress but later I plan to buy big wheel/low profile rubber as another cruising option to make more use of my corner carving Bill Reilly Suspension. I love Pro street and Pro Touring looks.

Your build and skills are Awesome!!

Now the gears are turning again, the M&H tires on a 17"x 12" are 14.3" section width that would give me about 3/4" frame side and 3/4" Quarter side if my measurements are exactly spot on and in a perfect world everything worked out to the fraction of an inch as planned... would that be enough ???? I would spend a couple hundred extra on wheels but save on frame rails and lots of labor......... guess I'll buy a 390/40R 17 next weekend and try it........ thanks Rodzilla you may have just saved me lots of time.....

3/4" per side should be OK, but it depends on how much body roll you will have. I think I would rather have 1" on the frame side and 1/2" on the quarter side. JMO.

So it the project going back to "pro-touring"?

With a 29.5" tire height. I think "Modern Pro-Street" fits better than "Pro- Touring". Even though the tire will be mounted to a 17" wheel, with the overall height of 29.5" I dont see much canyon carving in the future....thats 6 1/4" of side wall to be flexing and rolling.

With a 29.5" tire height. I think "Modern Pro-Street" fits better than "Pro- Touring". Even though the tire will be mounted to a 17" wheel, with the overall height of 29.5" I dont see much canyon carving in the future....thats 6 1/4" of side wall to be flexing and rolling.

not posting any updated pics? :supz:

not posting any updated pics? :supz:
Just hanging Quarter panels currently not the best things to use as good photo opportunitys.... once they get fully welded on Ill post some of the completed work . I was also waiting on you to get some ideas....

At least it's closer. :thumleft:

Okay, here's the week's progress : I had the doors media blasted and then primed them in epoxy primer there were a few pin holes in the passsenger side but nothing too bad...I took the door hinges to work and rebuilt them with new pins, bushings and springs. Finished welding up the drivers side quarter panel and went to Summit Racing to pick up a 390/40R17 M & H racemaster tire to see how it would fit and look without moving the frame rails..I came to the determination that I can live with the size and will not be relocating the frame rails....enjoy

Attachments

• duster 011.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,272
  • duster 012.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,260
  • duster 023.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,254
  • duster 024.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,247
  • duster 014.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,249
  • duster 042.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,236
  • duster 004.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,443
  • duster 027.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,376
  • duster 031.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,301
  • duster 007.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,271
love the shot from the rear.....width looks perfect

do you think you will have em' that high up in the wheelwell at ride height.....if you had......oh say.....a couple (2 or more).....fat chicks in the back seat...maybe

love the shot from the rear.....width looks perfect

do you think you will have em' that high up in the wheelwell at ride height.....if you had......oh say.....a couple (2 or more).....fat chicks in the back seat...maybe

I set them with 2.5" compression travel axle to frame, hopefully that will be the final height.....without the fat chicks !!!!!!!!!

ya' sure....we could spare a few...there are plenty around here

loving your build! can i ask a favor.. could you take a photo on the corners on the quarters where u welded them together. from the back next to the tail lights. much appreciated if you could thanks :) keep up the awesome work!

from my computer...those tires sure look like they are up in that fenderwell....fat chicks or not

I love your build so far. I am working on a 74 Duster. I have a long way to go also. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

I don't know, still kind of looks "pro-touring" like to me. :-D

Sure seems like the NASCAR guys run with more sidewall than that, and they turn corners.

I like it!

I don't know, still kind of looks "pro-touring" like to me. :-D

Sure seems like the NASCAR guys run with more sidewall than that, and they turn corners.

I like it!
I can't argue that point, a typical nascar tire is 28"x12"x15" so that means they have 6.5" of sidewall, since the M & H specs out at 29.5"x14.3"x17 I will have 6.25" sidewall....although thats still considerably more than a typical 25.5"-26" " Pro-Touring" tire diameter....and when looking at the defination of a "Modern Pro-Street" they seem to be running 18"-20" diameter wheels, so where do I fit in with this...oh crap, I'm building a Red Headed Step Child of a car....Send me to the island of Misfit Toys/Cars..

I can't argue that point, a typical nascar tire is 28"x12"x15" so that means they have 6.5" of sidewall, since the M & H specs out at 29.5"x14.3"x17 I will have 6.25" sidewall....although thats still considerably more than a typical 25.5"-26" " Pro-Touring" tire diameter....and when looking at the defination of a "Modern Pro-Street" they seem to be running 18"-20" diameter wheels, so where do I fit in with this...oh crap, I'm building a Red Headed Step Child of a car....Send me to the island of Misfit Toys/Cars..

Keep forging ahead Ross, I like where your going a lot! :thumblef:

Just my opinion, but the front tires will be the defining factor in which way this build goes. If you run a skinny tire, it will be a more of a Pro-Street build, but a wide tire will make it more of a Pro-Touring build.

As far as I know, there aren't any rules as to what size tires you have to run for either "class". Build what you want and tell the haters to get a life.

I think we need more "misfit" cars. Too many formula builds out there.

That said, my Duster will probably be more formula than I would like, but that's more due to budget and the fact that sometimes the formulas are there because they work.

Don't try to put it in a catagory, build what you like, your the guy who has to live with it!

"misfit".......I like that......looks like a dandy personalized license plate to me

-
Back