**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
I have been lurking in the shadows for a while on this build but I finally have to post something. I freaking love that you left the bench seat in this car!!! 5 point harness with a bench seat!!!!! :evil2: Can't wait to see some video footage.

Maybe one of you can help me here. I am trying to find some Seat Belt Bezel Trim, Rectangular Style to go where the Submarine Belt will go through the seat.

The Submarine Belt is 2" so I am looking for something that is slotted no more than 1" x3"

These look about right and mopar!

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-roadrunner-gtx-bench-seat-seat-belt-plastic-bezel-inserts-383-440-hemi-/181281401767?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3536aba7&vxp=mtr"]1970 Roadrunner GTX Bench Seat Seat Belt Plastic Bezel Inserts 383 440 Hemi | eBay[/ame]

Lol. The the A pillar bars are in through the dash. We got them in without taking the heater box assembly out. Going at it again tomorrow starting again at 7am. I think we should have most of it tacked in if not all. Door bars, both sides with swing outs and forward struts bars then gussets is what is left. Then comes the Tig Welding party! Lol I'm
going to be twisted up like a pretzel I can already feel it.

Got some more done on the cage. A pillars was yesterday. Door bars today and the strut bars landed underneath the fender wells. The Heater Box is still in the car and the strut bars go through the firewall and land at the A Pillars.

Tomorrow I may cut in the swing outs. I have them marked ready to be chopped on. Gussets etc and then welding it all off…. Painting it then final assembly.

View attachment IMG_6034.jpg

View attachment IMG_6035.jpg

View attachment IMG_6036.jpg

View attachment IMG_6037.jpg

View attachment IMG_6038.jpg

View attachment phpxXHa0TPM.jpg

Door bars swing outs are cut in…… Leaving the bench seat in it made it pretty damn tight with no room for error!

I know if I ever go to a bucket seat that is racing style there will be plenty of room!

Attachments

• IMG_6050.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 409
  • phpOOZQ70PM.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 418
  • phpigz3icPM.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 402
  • phpUflLPHPM.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 419
  • php5DDpEtPM.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 410
  • php59TruvPM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 418
  • phpCQrhGtPM.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 406
  • phpQsVkyXPM.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 438
Cage looks good so far! coming along nicely!

Looking awesome Louis. Who would have thought that when you bought this car you'd be doing this to it!?

Not to sound ignorant here but will those pins that lock the cage in place actually hold up during a wreck or roll over? I have always been a bit iffy on swing out door bars on cars.

Not to sound ignorant here but will those pins that lock the cage in place actually hold up during a wreck or roll over? I have always been a bit iffy on swing out door bars on cars.

Well the pins have been in use for years and I have never heard of any failing or falling out when someone wrecks. If a car hit the wall or rolled over and the cage moves even a hair those pins get tighter in their hole. They are not easy to put in nor take out. There is a good bit of effort needed to slide them through 1" of chromoly. As far as shearing them off…..If you wreck that bad the only thing someone will need to worry about is there Soul Fire Insurance cause there would be nothing left of the car or the person.

NHRA when I am done will certify this cage to 8.50

Would love to see the look on people's faces when a bench seat column shift green on green Scamp kicks their ***.

Lol, yeah I kinda went a little over board calling it a sleeper. I am a weirdo my thought is if I don't need to remove it or take it out to do my upgrades….. May as well leave it in the car. Stock ish body & interior as I can get is the goal.

68GTconvert Looking good.

Thanks!

Mshred, Cage looks good so far! coming along nicely!

So far…. Come on now. I guess your right though cause my body don't bend very well or anywhere close to a pretzel. The welding off is going to be a bear. I think I need to head down to the welding store and pick up a smaller Tig Torch so I can get into the very tight areas better.

pettybludart, Looks to be well thought out job Louis...looks great

Thanks Scott. The Dash Halo and the dash bars were definitely the hardest part so far. After the dash pad is cut in it should hide most of the sin that happened kind of like a Banker in his business suit. Lol

clinteg, Looking awesome Louis. Who would have thought that when you bought this car you'd be doing this to it!?

Yup, not even me….. Lol

Well the pins have been in use for years and I have never heard of any failing or falling out when someone wrecks. If a car hit the wall or rolled over and the cage moves even a hair those pins get tighter in their hole. They are not easy to put in nor take out. There is a good bit of effort needed to slide them through 1" of chromoly. As far as shearing them off…..If you wreck that bad the only thing someone will need to worry about is there Soul Fire Insurance cause there would be nothing left of the car or the person.

NHRA when I am done will certify this cage to 8.50

I guess asking about the certification would have been a easier way to ask that question. Your build is a benchmark for my winter project next year.

Roll cage looks great,Louis! Can only imagine, that go fast itch for you right now.

Got about 1/2 of the cage Tig Welded off. I swear I am going to POP a Lung, I am seriously tied up like a Pretzel! No Lie.

I added a few gussets. I need 4 more seat belt mounting points. Need to add bracket for Submarine Belts and cut the seat in for them. The Submarine belt is supposed to mount about 4" back or center of your body. Also need to add a plate to catch the shock tower and land it onto the strut bars on both sides. I will also be adding a bar in between the rear trunk bars under the package tray Sneaky pete style! ….. a gusset off of the A Pillar to the Strut Bars will also be added on both sides inside the car. I will try to tackle all of that tomorrow after work.

View attachment IMG_6071.jpg

View attachment IMG_6072.jpg

View attachment IMG_6073.jpg

View attachment IMG_6074.jpg

View attachment IMG_6075.jpg

View attachment IMG_6076.jpg

View attachment IMG_6077.jpg

View attachment IMG_6078.jpg

View attachment IMG_6080.jpg

View attachment phpzt6bizPM.jpg

Forgot to say that I will also be adding a provision for a Window net. I figure may as well since the cage is not painted yet. Tomorrow I will be calling Crow and getting their net, install kit and the seat brackets that I need.

Now your going to need a 400 shot to make up for the weight... :(

Yeah.... It's chromoly it can't weigh more than 70 lbs or so. But I hear ya..... More juice is on the menu without a doubt!

I did not feel safe at all with just the lap belts and no cage.... If I feel safer then I'll drive the car harder is my thought. If I crash it hopefully I'll walk away instead of getting ejected!

Is your shoe covered with duct tape glue? You know with the pedal control taped to your foot so you could lay on your back and use the roof/a or c pillar, interior walls as the spot to control the torch? LOL

Looks nice.

-
Back