74 Dart 360 Sport

-
Carb cleaned up real well super easy tear down. It had been rebuilt before all was loose no issues or seized stuff. Top is still soaking and I'm sure I have a timing issue that needs to be addressed once I throw this on. Hopefully this block is good for short time while I save up. I have a build in mind for sure. Eyeing the stroker and a fresh build up. Why not I owe it to the old girl clearly she drag raced a bit from what I was told. The bits are there I know some things will get changed but my wife saw a Dart eat a Hellcat and she wants that car lol. Wife also wants me to send it off just prime it only and let it get the paint done. Hey she wants to spend the cash I didn't want to why not. She saw the interior done and said I get now... Your right it's a time machine! She is a keeper!

IMG_20220525_205021.jpg

IMG_20220525_205006.jpg

IMG_20220525_204957.jpg

Top half carbon removed sprayed it all out. I will also take off the Edelbrock filter and make sure it's clean again before I load up the fuel on it.

IMG_20220526_130259.jpg

IMG_20220526_130248.jpg

Done very happy super easy quad rebuild these are not hard. I think we go in nervous and don't take our time. Pictures help alot here if your old like me now.

IMG_20220526_220704.jpg

Done very happy super easy quad rebuild these are not hard. I think we go in nervous and don't take our time. Pictures help alot here if your old like me now.

View attachment 1715933681
Well even with all new seals and such this carb had other issues. I will replace least float is set right all that just a leaker for sure as other owner stated and it was rebuilt minus the rust. Wonder what carb would make the most sense here.

Last edited:
I just decided my Dad is not stopping me saying you leave that car alone! I'm going to have some fun lol!
Made me recall a time back in high school, around 75, a friend's parents (they had a body shop) acquired a 62 Impala SS they repainted it the original white and his mom did a blue mist lace job on the hood, roof & trunk. It looked really cool. Although it was a bucket seat, 4spd console, dual exhaust car it had a measly 283 in it. He came about a 350, 350hp engine. Well he and 2 of his brothers were at the shop swapping engines on a Saturday and dad pulls in. Seeing what the boys were up to dad asked "what the new engine was". Upon being informed he said "put that original engine back in that car right now!" And completed his command by adding "stupid kid, what do you want to kill yourself or something?" Needless to say my friend was bumbed out big time. Dad sold the engine on Monday and split the $ with my friend. Memories...

Got my order in for a Pro-form carburetor 67214 850, 4150 adapter, cables, a 1 in spacer. That hurt a bit I'm sure you all will hear me whining come intake and heads time. I need to get a new distributor ignition probably just go MSD. Proform 67214: Street Series Mechanical Secondary Carburetor 850 cfm with Electric Choke - JEGS High Performance. I just decided my Dad is not stopping me saying you leave that car alone! I'm going to have some fun lol!
Let me make it clear I know the E58 is super rare. I'm keeping the heads carbs and intake and will shelve them on rebuild I won't do anything that makes the block unable to be returned to stock. If the block is even good it does have low miles well have to see how it machines up for lower end which will be little better set of pistons better compression. Trick flo heads and intake cam should be good for a nice 420 plus hp I have read. Main thing I have to do start buying parts or I won't do it. I could do the stock heads 2.0 valves better piston maybe get close to that number. My issue is I don't want to ruin a block and a low production numbers car.

Got things going to shoot some primer when it is really cool this week. Then look it all over find the spots I'm not happy with and fix those up.

IMG_20220531_164148.jpg

After I got it all taped up it's just GD hot lol but managed to go over whole car some more. This area pass side like someone went at it with a ball peen hammer no filler and not rusted just lousy how it was done or time maybe. Anyways its worth getting these little spots in the end it will look that much better!

IMG_20220531_202514.jpg

Just wow compared to what I started with I know alot of sanding still and some fine tuning! I knew it was decent but I exceeded my expectations.

IMG_20220601_194104.jpg

IMG_20220601_194058.jpg

IMG_20220601_194053.jpg

IMG_20220601_194049.jpg

IMG_20220601_194039.jpg

IMG_20220601_194029.jpg

IMG_20220601_194015.jpg

IMG_20220601_194001.jpg

IMG_20220601_193950.jpg

IMG_20220601_195853.jpg

More coats primer and I managed to get Pro Form installed. Couple hoses to do and bleed the brakes. Need to do the Lokar kickdown cable still. Plan to get alignment soon and maybe trans shop for that cable want it done right. Need to buy the paint make a plan for the final push and enjoy on road a bit.

IMG_20220604_143403.jpg

IMG_20220603_202707_01.jpg

Little car show by us today Sunfest Bartlesville I believe this is the local Good Guys club. Really nice Roadrunner there. Not sure why people bring modern vet sorry not impressed at all by these. Nice 50s era Corvette or early 60 there though.

IMG_20220604_085809.jpg

Brakes are bleed and float is adjusted. I need to get a hose for the vacuum to manifold plan to use the brake booster on that one. Pcv is on the back of carb small on distributor front. Directions from pro-form were easy to follow for the carb. Top radiator appears to seep a bit will replace the radiator and go electric fans eventually. First paint and alignment. Wow does it ever drive different now. I got on the gas a bit and things got silly quick LMAO pretty sure neighbors hate me. She is very much awake.

Managed to get the camber set where it looks ok and safe zone for drive to shop. Also got the front end down a bit stance is better. Got bunch of bolts and such torque to spec. Need to massage tail pipes flip one bolt on the leaf spring driver side. Little bit closer little things now. Gotta get butt up to tag office get my tags.

IMG_20220607_202459.jpg

IMG_20220607_201658_01.jpg

IMG_20220607_201609_01.jpg

Ok now I'm not lying the rusty jobs are over! These bumpers and getting them loose from factory crap. Unless someone needs the under side bumper for beak car front and rear I'm tossing. Don't wait long in truck for landfill soon. I'm using the chrome with aluminum mounts. Just big and heavy I live in middle of no where America so not alot of population or traffic.

IMG_20220609_203733_01.jpg

IMG_20220609_203709_01.jpg

Little to no work this week feel like crap bad cold and it's hot as hell out. I will wet sand soon and get back on soon enough coming along.

Ok now I'm not lying the rusty jobs are over! These bumpers and getting them loose from factory crap. Unless someone needs the under side bumper for beak car front and rear I'm tossing. Don't wait long in truck for landfill soon. I'm using the chrome with aluminum mounts. Just big and heavy I live in middle of no where America so not alot of population or traffic.

View attachment 1715939920

View attachment 1715939921

Wasn’t aware the bracket guy had mounts for a ‘74 bumper. Are you swapping to an earlier bumper?

My ‘74 doesn’t have the threaded inserts to use the aluminum brackets on the front. Does yours? I know some do, but mine doesn’t.

Wasn’t aware the bracket guy had mounts for a ‘74 bumper. Are you swapping to an earlier bumper?

My ‘74 doesn’t have the threaded inserts to use the aluminum brackets on the front. Does yours? I know some do, but mine doesn’t.
Was told they won't work. I may get aluminum and make my own. I got a son in-law welds aluminum all day and makes stuff said we could do it and be fine. We have the old so we have a guide. Key is how thick thinking qtr inch but we'll see. Goal is loose the next inner pig and those shocks they are rusted junk and heavy.

Managed to get out there and wet sand today omg 110 heat index. I was in swimsuit lmao hosing myself down and I went. Got a side I plan to skim coat behind drivers door the entire back quarter driver side needs a good base sand it down get my lines right. The rest of the car I'm very happy with. Do some little spots ranging from a pinhole to a pencil eraser head. Well do all that well mix up some primer hit those spots again and wet sand again. I hope I'm not making it to smooth for paint. Hoping 2000 wet sand is ok for paint adhesion. Plan to get some good paint degreaser and clean it before paint make sure it's debris free and dust and crap. Probably buy a new gun to spray color and clear it. I had couple runs but not from over doing it was from leaky gun that can't happen on final paint. It's stressful enough I don't need that kind of help from crap equipment. New compressor as well and a water catch is in order. To much work into this now and Im exceeding my own expectations so time to do it right.

You could always hit it with a quick 600 grit for paint... But reality I know nothing about paint...

-
Back