A833 O/D gears in an A833 1:1 ?

-
I'm trying to search my old, dead, worn out memory cells on the extension housings on the GM 833's. For some reason, and this is just a vague thought, the X housings had a cast in "bulge" (big eyelet?) on the back of the housing on the TOP for the tranny mount??????? My memory cells could be recalling a completely different trans all together, too.

One thing for sure. With the aluminum OD extension housing, I've had quite a few of them with the rear yoke bushing completely trashed and spun in the housing, ruining the housing. Always make sure your unit if full of oil (good old 90wt, or in zones like So Cal 80-140 GL-4). I always overfilled my personal transmissions by just a little, maybe a couple of extra squirts, but they were always fresh with new seals.

Russ.

I've never seen one. I've seen iron side cover/ aluminum, but never all iron. That's probably a really early 833 you did, like a '74-'75. Pulled one on a '75 years ago and it was alum/ iron side.

Mostly, I'd be interested in tailshaft serial number at this point.

I don't mind going aluminum on the tailshaft housing, but if an iron one works and it's the same part number as the early 30 spline out, 307 bearing units, it will open up my tailhousing options significantly.

I don't have the original tail shaft to compare, it was damaged, somebody welded a 4-speed shifter directly to the trans.
I did buy a replacement iron tail shaft off Wayne that worked.

With the aluminum OD extension housing, I've had quite a few of them with the rear yoke bushing completely trashed and spun in the housing, ruining the housing

Good info.

I wonder why that is? Do you suppose it has something to do with the way aluminum heat ranges quicker than iron?

Aluminum sounds less and less appealing to me for what I'm going for.

Good info.

I wonder why that is? Do you suppose it has something to do with the way aluminum heat ranges quicker than iron?

Aluminum sounds less and less appealing to me for what I'm going for.

Dave,

It could be because the ones I worked on were "ran hard and put away wet" sort of deals out of vehicles that were stock but beat to death. I'm sure the aluminum probably had something to do with it too, and people never checking their fluid level.

When I built the two I did for my Duster, it was back in the mid 1980's or so, and I bought the extension housings new from the dealer. But, I was always under that car doing something, so I checked my fluid all the time. My oldest son and I even drove it to Montana (tunnel ram and all, just changed the rear gear from my 5.13's to a set of 3.55's for the trip), with no problem. That car was a blast, I could shoot myself for even selling it. I must have sold it just before CudaChick moved next door, I don't think she ever saw it, so whenever that was. She'd know, maybe she'll see this and chime in.

Russ.

Interesting notion on that, Russ. I'm beginning to think that since the aluminum shafts were on alum. case, perhaps the seals were more prone to leak and inherently, the tailshaft yoke bushing suffered.

Maybe one will survive on an iron case. I know aluminum oil pans hate sealing. Even the Charlie's that sits under the 6.1 in the '59 Coronet we did has a weep on the plug. I think it's likely a heat movement/ shear issue.

If I can save weight, I don't mind, but another thing occurred to me that may not be the brightest idea, is attaching an aluminum tail to an iron case, because of the weight of the case, vs tailshaft that mounts it to the car. This car will likely never get pulverized, but I'd hate stripping the tailshaft mount or breaking it.

Automatics have torque multiplication, but it's shear torque applied and technically, a clutch should too, if you're nice to it, but I'll be the first to admit that it may get thumped a few times... Which reminds me that I should replace the motor mounts when I do this, with urethane.

Interesting notion on that, Russ. I'm beginning to think that since the aluminum shafts were on alum. case, perhaps the seals were more prone to leak and inherently, the tailshaft yoke bushing suffered.

Maybe one will survive on an iron case. I know aluminum oil pans hate sealing. Even the Charlie's that sits under the 6.1 in the '59 Coronet we did has a weep on the plug. I think it's likely a heat movement/ shear issue.

If I can save weight, I don't mind, but another thing occurred to me that may not be the brightest idea, is attaching an aluminum tail to an iron case, because of the weight of the case, vs tailshaft that mounts it to the car. This car will likely never get pulverized, but I'd hate stripping the tailshaft mount or breaking it.

Automatics have torque multiplication, but it's shear torque applied and technically, a clutch should too, if you're nice to it, but I'll be the first to admit that it may get thumped a few times... Which reminds me that I should replace the motor mounts when I do this, with urethane.

Dave,

Don't worry about using an aluminum extension housing with a cast iron case. Detroit did that for years with no problem. The early T-10's (and some hi-po Super T-10's) and Fords had millions out there, no problem. The more I think on it, I'm sure it was fluid level that killed them. MOPAR had a reputation of low maintenance vehicles. Just my thoughts.

Russ.

Dave,

Don't worry about using an aluminum extension housing with a cast iron case. Detroit did that for years with no problem. The early T-10's (and some hi-po Super T-10's) and Fords had millions out there, no problem. The more I think on it, I'm sure it was fluid level that killed them. MOPAR had a reputation of low maintenance vehicles. Just my thoughts.

Russ.

Low fluid level VS aluminum = murder. Yeah, it's likely suspect and I'll bet the plugs leaked on the aluminum cases.

Good to know about the Super 10's and A833, I have seen the Borg Warner. I think maybe as long as I have a good, urethane engine mount and a rubber or urethane tail, it should be fine.

I've seen a few cracked bells on autos from hard trans brake launches, but most of the ones I saw were on some kind of ludicrous solid mount.

Dave I found a photo of the before rebuild pic of the trans with iron case and tail, but for some reason image-shack decided it did not want to work.

I was able to zoom in on the replacement cast tail-shaft that Wane sent me and the numbers are as follows:
C37477-3 the first 3 could possibly be an 8 but it was just luck that I had a pic of that.

I will keep digging thru my pics and see if I can find a case #.

... I must have sold it just before CudaChick moved next door, I don't think she ever saw it, so whenever that was. She'd know, maybe she'll see this and chime in.

Russ.

I moved in next door in 1996. I never saw the Duster but I've heard a lot about it over the years. You aren't the only one kicking you because you got rid of it. :violent1: :wack: :banghead:

I still love ya though. :-D

I must have just sold it then. I know I had it when the Landers/Big Bear quake hit, it was locked up in the garage and we were just checking out of the Super 8 in Cortez, CO., on our way to the Whittington Center outside of Raton, NM. when it hit. We were in the Olds then, and the next year we took the Jeep I got from Al at Choice Auto. Al's the one I sold the Duster to, but that was a couple of years later, must have been not long before you moved in.

Gerald told me Al was hurting for money a few years back, so I went to his shop and asked if he wanted to sell the duster. He claimed he sold it for $24,000. I only sold it to him for $7,500, and all he did was put a cage in it and smoke the motor out of it. I have no idea where it is now. Al lives in the high desert, maybe Hesperia, so it might be up there somewhere?

Russ.

Hmmm, I've got an internet friend who lives up there. You want me to do some digging I will ... it'd be great to bring you two together again!

FYI they did build a all cast iron A o/d I have one out in the shed waiting to go in the duster when i get off my lazy @#%. LOL

Hmmm, I've got an internet friend who lives up there. You want me to do some digging I will ... it'd be great to bring you two together again!

Lee, sure wouldn't hurt. When I sold it, it was pearl white with a scoop, 340, tunnel with the TR1Y tall top with a pair of 3310's with the 1850 float bowls, Hookers with the vac-u-pan system and 5:13's with the Power Lok clutch type sure grip, V-Gate shifter and non-power front disc brakes, big bolt pattern all the way around and slotted wheels.

Russ.

"mod5v FYI they did build a all cast iron A o/d I have one out in the shed waiting to go in the duster when i get off my lazy @#%. LOL"

Correct. Actually, they built a bunch of them back then. It's not a rare trans by any means. I don't know if they actually came in Dusters, Darts, Barracudas or Valiants, but they did come in Volaries or whatever they're called. Regardless, they were a bolt in for short shaft A bodies.

Russ.

If I could find one, I'd go that route. So far, I've got about half of a transmission at the moment. haha...

That sounds like a hell of a ride, by the way. The '67 Silver Bullet clone car I drove last year was a bear with that V gate. Car alarms everywhere. Not exactly as street friendly as what I'm working on!

Leanna, is that Limelight or Sassy Grass? My girlfriend went with Sassy Grass on her car that is getting this trans. It's hard to tell on the CPU, I'm betting Limelight? Cool rig. I prefer the A body Cuda to the E.

As soon as I have everything, I'll post assembly pics and maybe drop the question mark from the title.

... Leanna, is that Limelight or Sassy Grass? My girlfriend went with Sassy Grass on her car that is getting this trans. It's hard to tell on the CPU, I'm betting Limelight? Cool rig. I prefer the A body Cuda to the E. ...

You bet right! It's the paint code for 1970 LimeLight with ultra fine gold metal flake added til I said "when." It sparkles in the sun ...

Russ, I'll see what I can do.

Cool. Sounds like some of the Hemi Oranges that came out. Looks non metallic until you get right up on it!

Getting closer to having this trans made up. I'm slowly accumulating all of the parts. I will be dropping heim joint linkage into this trans. I'll continue this thread as a build from here on out. I'll be posting pictures as I move on everything, including a parts list and materials and costs for heim joint linkage.

-
Back