Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I've got a buddy that builds race car chassis. I don't have a tubing bender so I'll need his help with fabrication. It'll be a long process getting this thing built.

What is/was the idea when it comes to power plant? It's a drag racing car, right?

What is/was the idea when it comes to power plant? It's a drag racing car, right?

I'm not sure. I'd always figured that I'd drop that old Hemi in it and try to keep the build mild so I wouldn't be as likely to scatter things.

img_6347-jpg.jpg

- But if my son changes direction on the engine for his Charger that would mean that we've got the makings of a really strong 512. I doubt we'll find anyone that would give us our $$ back on the blower cam/low compression Ross pistons that we have for it. We've constantly bought parts that we never ended up using and always took a loss on them. If I went with the 512 it might be more cost effective and I'd be less afraid to squeeze more power out of it.

img_6348-jpg.jpg

- On the other hand, I've always wanted to build a blown Hemi. Either way I'll be running a supercharger. And at least I'll finally be able to clear up some floor space in the garage.

img_6349-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6347.jpg

View attachment IMG_6348.jpg

View attachment IMG_6349.jpg

Last edited:
Glad the resistor tip, got all the speeds working, funny thing is every time I started loosing the low speeds its in the summer when the AC is running.

Those blower motors are not floor space they are garage jewelry.
I love the throttle response of the little 144 blower on my vette.

You could send that ol' Hemi over here...... that would clear up some floor space.

You've already got your hands full with that 'Cuda build. This boat anchor would just set you back a few more months!

Last edited:
Glad the resistor tip, got all the speeds working, funny thing is every time I started loosing the low speeds its in the summer when the AC is running.

Those blower motors are not floor space they are garage jewelry.
I love the throttle response of the little 144 blower on my vette.

I must have been lucky when it comes to those resistors. - I've never had trouble with the fan speed controls on any of my vehicles before.

Those motors were cool for the first few months sitting here. Now they've just become obstacles to work around.

I've never run a blower motor myself. I'm really anxious to fire one of these up. The Hemi is still sporting a set of 13&1/2s. It'll take quite a few new parts to get it set up. The last time it was run it was naturally aspirated and had 6 Strombergs on it.

Last edited:
OMG!! It's snowing! Looks like I'll have to do more garage cleaning. The truck parts should start showing up tomorrow and the driveway will be a sludgy mess. I need to head to New Hampton, Iowa on Sunday to pick up some stuff. The forecast looks OK but I'm hoping to get a lot more done on the truck first.

Snow, the worst 4 letter word, dissemble the motors and put them under the work bench, attic etc.

As far as driving a boosted car...
The vette has instant power, no lag, no BS the power starts at idle.
An exact quote out of my wife's mouth, she drives a turbo dart, "give me three seconds and I will pass you.

Gotta know where the boost kicks in at, I had a turbo'ed fox body stang paired with a 5 speed. Awesome combo if you keep it in the right rpm range

Gotta know where the boost kicks in at, I had a turbo'ed fox body stang paired with a 5 speed. Awesome combo if you keep it in the right rpm range

Fox body guy here ,JeepJeep.. Leaving Cali ( eventually,..) What combo? Tired of Cali's smog.b.s... If you would care to share,much appreciated...

Snow, the worst 4 letter word, dissemble the motors and put them under the work bench, attic etc.

The rain/sleet/snow wasn't heavy but the howling wind made it seem like Winter. Today the sun is out and that wind has almost dried the ground off.

As far as driving a boosted car...
The vette has instant power, no lag, no BS the power starts at idle.
An exact quote out of my wife's mouth, she drives a turbo dart, "give me three seconds and I will pass you.

LOL! Teresa doesn't appreciate my 'need for speed'. If I don't want to get smacked, I have to leave her at home when I put the pedal to the metal.

Last edited:
Fox body guy here ,JeepJeep.. Leaving Cali ( eventually,..) What combo? Tired of Cali's smog.b.s... If you would care to share,much appreciated...

87 body, had a 93 5.0 with cobra intake, gt-40 heads, the bottom end had a forged crank KB pistons, with a 76mm turbo on the hot side. A buddy started building it when we were in high school. I bought it off him, it was stupid fast for a couple of kids. The guy I sold it to blow it up. As far as I know it still the same set up. Come to Indiana, are vehicle laws rule!

The rain/sleet/snow wasn't heavy but the howling wind made it seem like Winter. Today the sun is out and that wind has almost dried the ground off.

LOL! Teresa doesn't appreciate my 'need for speed'. If I don't want to get smacked, I have to leave her at home when I put the pedal to the metal.

That is not right, the first time the wife rode in the vette, we were just going to the grocery store, pulled out of the garage, went around the block, hit the gas a little hard, and the blower sneezed.
The wife said "you have to let it warm up dumb-***"

So we took it for a little ride, after about 5 miles the blower was good and warm, I got on it hard coming out of a 25 mph turn, grabbed 4th gear, and she looked up at me and said "this car is too hard to see my phone with you driving"

That is not right, the first time the wife rode in the vette, we were just going to the grocery store, pulled out of the garage, went around the block, hit the gas a little hard, and the blower sneezed.
The wife said "you have to let it warm up dumb-***"

So we took it for a little ride, after about 5 miles the blower was good and warm, I got on it hard coming out of a 25 mph turn, grabbed 4th gear, and she looked up at me and said "this car is too hard to see my phone with you driving"

I can empathize with you on the 'dumb ***' quote. I think Teresa has started using it as a term of endearment.

Cell phones are a curse to mankind. Teresa spends 16 hours a day on hers (- she does have to sleep some time).

Last edited:

I don't think the learning curve will take too long with a supercharger. I could see it taking a few attempts for me to get used to lag with a turbo. I guess downshifting before you punch it wouldn't be so difficult.

Last edited:

Where you thinking about moving to bomber? We could use more gearheads here.

Last edited:
87 body, had a 93 5.0 with cobra intake, gt-40 heads, the bottom end had a forged crank KB pistons, with a 76mm turbo on the hot side. A buddy started building it when we were in high school. I bought it off him, it was stupid fast for a couple of kids. The guy I sold it to blow it up. As far as I know it still the same set up. Come to Indiana, are vehicle laws rule!

- Sounds like a pretty potent combination. The fox-body Stangs became almost as common as VW bugs were back in the 60's & 70's, but they're starting to disappear now too.

Last edited:
I don't think the learning curve will take too long with a supercharger. I could see it taking a few attempts for me to get used to lag with a turbo. I guess downshifting before you punch it wouldn't be so difficult.

Keep in mind a blower loves alot of initial timing, but things go bad real quick with too much total timing.
A good place to start is around 16-20 deg initial and no more than 28 total.
Make damn sure you have adequate fuel pressure, do not cheap out here.
And buy a good air/fuel mixture gauge.
Depending on how much boost you are running, a retard for boost may be needed when you surpass around 5 psi.
There, your learning curve just got shorter.

And your wallet just got lighter.........

Keep in mind a blower loves alot of initial timing, but things go bad real quick with too much total timing.
A good place to start is around 16-20 deg initial and no more than 28 total.
Make damn sure you have adequate fuel pressure, do not cheap out here.
And buy a good air/fuel mixture gauge.
Depending on how much boost you are running, a retard for boost may be needed when you surpass around 5 psi.
There, your learning curve just got shorter.

And your wallet just got lighter.........

We did buy an MSD-BTM control box that retards timing when boost hits a certain point. Hopefully it'll alleviate the concern about too much advance. It'll be a while before we get to the point of tuning anything. - Right now we're still trying to finalize decisions on block/stroke/head combinations. I called Keith Black up the other day and was told there's about a 6 month wait time for their aluminum 440 blocks.

Last edited:
After struggling to get that chassis in the garage I'm going to have to move it back outside (at least for awhile). I didn't have time to do the frame modifications yet but I decided to go ahead and paint it the way it is. After all the work it took to clean up the rust I didn't want to have to repeat it. I'll strip it back down again later.

img_6351-jpg.jpg

img_6352-jpg.jpg

img_6353-jpg.jpg

img_6354-jpg.jpg

I still need to get other vehicles inside so I can work on them. The chassis will just have to go in and back out whenever I need the space.

View attachment IMG_6351.jpg

View attachment IMG_6352.jpg

View attachment IMG_6353.jpg

View attachment IMG_6354.jpg

Last edited:
Parts are starting to arrive for the truck. As soon as the GPS showed up I programmed it for the upcoming trip this weekend to Iowa.

img_6356-jpg.jpg

img_6358-jpg.jpg

When I bought the truck the driver side window switch panel was all 'Fupped Duck'. The previous owner broke the panel trying to access the switches.

img_6360-jpg.jpg

I purchased a used window switch from a salvage yard and a new plastic panel online. After swapping out my old switches I found out the replacement worked even worse. I opened it up and it was full of dirt so I hosed it down with contact cleaner. While I was looking at it I saw that one of it's contact arms was bent and wouldn't move so I straightened it. After reinstalling it I now have all controls back except for the right front door. I'm guessing there's a problem with the circuit board that's in the switch. - Thought I'd save some bucks by paying $50 for the used switch instead of $100 for a new one. :banghead:

View attachment IMG_6356.jpg

View attachment IMG_6358.jpg

View attachment IMG_6360.jpg

Last edited:
GPS... GUIDANCE for PEOPLE with SENSELESS direction.. I sure qualify, can't remember roads without multiple times there,a map, or this wonderful intervention... As for moving location: Most likely Southwest,possibly mid west. ( anywhere with relaxed atmosphere, lack of stupid government, & no smog laws a bonus.) Nice work, on the Ford. They aren't quick, but likeable.

See, John, that left rear tire has a big flat spot. I told you ... :D

What rear end is that? 8 3/4? (I'm not afraid to display my ignorance in public.)

GPS... GUIDANCE for PEOPLE with SENSELESS direction.. I sure qualify, can't remember roads without multiple times there,a map, or this wonderful intervention... As for moving location: Most likely Southwest,possibly mid west. ( anywhere with relaxed atmosphere, lack of stupid government, & no smog laws a bonus.) Nice work, on the Ford. They aren't quick, but likeable.

I sometimes find myself getting lost on the way to the bathroom. LOL. Back in the day I never would have thought I would have needed such a device but times have changed. Nowadays it seems impossible to find an accurate map because they're constantly changing the roads and there are a lot of streets that zigzag or dead end.

I don't know whether or not you'd consider Nebraska a place with a relaxed environment. For excitement around here I usually make a comment to Teresa about her weight and then wait to see how long it takes law enforcement to answer my 911 call.

Last edited:
See, John, that left rear tire has a big flat spot. I told you ... :D

What rear end is that? 8 3/4? (I'm not afraid to display my ignorance in public.)

It's a 9" Ford housing but it doesn't have a center section yet or axles. The axles that are in it now are just stock ones that have been torched off. I may swap it out for a Dana rear yet. It'll depend on which route ends up being most economical.

Last edited:
-
Back