Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I sometimes find myself getting lost on the way to the bathroom. LOL. Back in the day I never would have thought I would have needed such a device but times have changed. Nowadays it seems impossible to find an accurate map because they're constantly changing the roads and there are a lot of streets that zigzag or dead end.

I don't know whether or not you'd consider Nebraska a place with a relaxed environment. For excitement around here I usually make a comment to Teresa about her weight and then wait to see how long it takes law enforcement to answer my 911 call.

That 's awesome, nice to see someone with that sense of humor(..( first paragraph, sounds so Monty Python,it kills me..
2nd paragraph : oh ****, you close out at night... I can't do that.. No wife,no honesty'( Bob Seger's greatest hits,on c.d.)..

As much as I may be inclined to 'dis the old black Ford pickup, I really shouldn't. It's been the ugly duckling among all the other vehicles here. I've forced it to work way beyond what it was designed to do. It's towed the Charger, the Roadrunner, the 'Cuda, the 'Lil Red Express, the Sebring, the Chevelle, the Duster, the Model A, the PT Cruiser, the funnycar, the Challenger, and a handful of others. I've hauled building supplies, carried trash, and never thought twice about whether or not I put a scratch in it. Other than putting in gas, oil changes and replacing a flat tire, I never spent a dime on it. It's hauled vehicles from Iowa, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas. It was under-powered but I flogged it as hard as I could to try and stay with the traffic flow on the interstates when towing.

img_1115-jpg.jpg

But it's time to say Goodbye. I was going to park it at the farm and use it for parts if I needed them. Teresa's son hit a deer tonight with his truck and totalled it. In need of a quick replacement he came and picked up the Ford. Right now he's just borrowing it but I told him I'd sell it to him for $700. He agreed and will pay me for it in a few weeks.

So I am thinning the herd. A few weeks ago I sold my son's stepside Ford pickup. It should help satisfy the anti-car crowd for awhile.

So you may be wondering what I'm going to do with that $700 windfall. - Well, it's already spent. With Christmas coming up I decided to buy Teresa something she's always wanted. - Her very own pinball machine.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

s-l1600b-jpg.jpg

s-l1600r-jpg.jpg

s-l1600v-jpg.jpg

s-l1600z-jpg.jpg

s-l1600t-jpg.jpg

Maybe I can get some of that money back from her if she keeps stuffing quarters in it. LOL.

s-l1600x-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1115.jpg

View attachment s-l1600.jpg

View attachment s-l1600b.jpg

View attachment s-l1600r.jpg

View attachment s-l1600v.jpg

View attachment s-l1600z.jpg

View attachment s-l1600t.jpg

View attachment s-l1600x.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet pinball machine!

But what are you doing up?!

I was working on the red Ford. I'm still hoping to get a bunch more things fixed before I take it on it's first long trip. Teresa will probably go along so I want as many potential problems gone. She already knows about the pinball machine. It'd be hard to keep it a secret from her when she's gonna have to haul it down our basement.

Last edited:
I told you somebody would need the old truck.....
Good score on they Bally pin ball machine, they are tough, plus its a bonus point you may need if you make a "weight joke" on Friday the 13.
Sleep well..............

I told you somebody would need the old truck.....
Good score on they Bally pin ball machine, they are tough, plus its a bonus point you may need if you make a "weight joke" on Friday the 13.
Sleep well..............

I didn't expect it to disappear so soon (if at all). I guess I'd rather get the pinball machine than park it at the farm and let the mice and thieves have at it.

It's strange. I always seem to miss every vehicle I ever get rid of. It made sense when it was the musclecars that I parted with, but this truck was a homely eyesore. - Maybe I just associate it with all the vehicles it's towed for us.

The guy I'm buying the pinball machine from just had it serviced a few months ago so we shouldn't run into any unexpected surprises for awhile. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I'm trying to check off as many things as I can off of the truck's 'to do' list as quick as I can. There are too many REAL projects that need attention to drag this out too long.

A bunch more parts showed up today. FedEx dropped off the bed cover first. Then UPS delivered the body panels and headlights. Lastly, the mailman brought the trailer brake and door's new switch panel.

The cruise control turned out to be an easy fix. The cable was disconnected from the throttle body. I took the truck in to a shop to have the air conditioning serviced. They ran a dye test and couldn't find any leaks. It's now recharged and ready to go. While it was there I had them check out the 'check engine' code and was told I needed a new O2 sensor. It should be here Monday.

I replaced the headlights as soon as I got the truck back from the shop and then I swapped out that left door switch panel. There's a night and day difference in the condition of the headlights. The previous owner had put in higher intensity bulbs because the lights were dim. I went back to originals figuring they'll be bright enough now.

img_6369-jpg.jpg

img_6370-jpg.jpg

It's nice not to have the window switches flopping around anymore. The armrest pad is still a bit distorted from when they'd been prying on it. I may just leave it as is (at least for now).

img_6360-jpg.jpg
img_6371-jpg.jpg

The replacement body panels will have to wait until I have a larger window of time to start on them.

img_6363-jpg.jpg

img_6362-jpg.jpg

I moved the funnycar chassis back outside so I could get the truck in.

img_6366-jpg.jpg

It was a nice day today but it was getting chilly and I wanted to continue working after it got dark. The truck was a tight squeeze inside the garage. - I've still got those engines sitting in front of it.

Next on the agenda tonight is the tarp. If I get that done I may try to tackle the brake controller.

img_6364-jpg.jpg

img_6372-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6369.jpg

View attachment IMG_6370.jpg

View attachment IMG_6362.jpg

View attachment IMG_6363.jpg

View attachment IMG_6366.jpg

View attachment IMG_6360.jpg

View attachment IMG_6371.jpg

View attachment IMG_6364.jpg

View attachment IMG_6372.jpg

Last edited:
I finished installing the bed tarp. It turned out OK but I'm not impressed with the design. I guess I was looking for an inexpensive, no drilling, roll up design and it does fit the bill. Right now it's Difficult to get the back end to latch in place. I have to stand on the rear bumper and put all my weight on it. It's almost as if the tarp is about a half inch too short. Maybe it'll stretch over time.

In order to release the tonneau cover you have to open the tailgate first. I thought it'd be a nice setup for when I do lock the tailgate. It would keep crooks from accessing cargo without cutting the tarp. Unfortunately when I tried to lock my tailgate I discovered that my key doesn't work. :banghead: I'll have to replace the lockset if I want to lock the back up.

img_6374-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6374.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I spent about an hour sanding off more of the metalflake paint remnants off the funnycar body. It'll probably take me a few full days of more sanding to get it all off of the nooks and crannies. Once it's all stripped I'll fabricate braces to restore the correct shape back to the roof and sides. I'm anxious to start on the repair work. Hopefully I won't get too side-tracked by other stuff. I know the Roadrunner will have to come back in when the new clutch rod shows up.

Yesterday I spent about an hour sanding off more of the metalflake paint remnants off the funnycar body. It'll probably take me a few full days of more sanding to get it all off of the nooks and crannies. Once it's all stripped I'll fabricate braces to restore the correct shape back to the roof and sides. I'm anxious to start on the repair work. Hopefully I won't get too side-tracked by other stuff. I know the Roadrunner will have to come back in when the new clutch rod shows up.

Sanding... Probably a lacquer base,gums all the works up. Best of luck & patience, John...

It warms my heart to see someone else use a wheeled garbage can as a work or storage platform....

It warms my heart to see someone else use a wheeled garbage can as a work or storage platform....

That's ironic.. I use a small refrigerator,(or two ) for mine....And I use all three of the garbage two wheelers ,at certain times. You are paying for the rental,right? Use the snot out of them, is my opine...

Garbage can?? You mean it's NOT a custom parts bin/sawhorse?? No wonder those garbage workers keep frowning when they've been tossing the junk filled cardboard boxes into their truck. :banghead:

Last edited:
That's ironic.. I use a small refrigerator,(or two ) for mine....And I use all three of the garbage two wheelers ,at certain times. You are paying for the rental,right? Use the snot out of them, is my opine...

I've been wondering when they'll start bitching about the overspray I get on mine when I use it as a paint stand.

Last edited:
I'm still working on the truck. It came with front drink holders but no ashtray. For most of you folks with common sense that wouldn't be a problem, but for walking chimneys like me and Teresa, - it didn't cut it. I ordered a used factory replacement unit that combines an ashtray with drink holders. Today I installed it. Teresa and I may not be smokin' hot but we're often smokin'.

I doubt the engine compartment had been cleaned in the past 15 years. I sprayed it with degreaser and blasted it clean at the car wash. It might sound anal but I Armor All'ed all the plastic and rubber components under the hood after I was done cleaning. - Looks almost like new now.

There was the typical accumulation of grime throughout the truck. The worst was the build-up of goo inside the center console and door panel pockets. I think the previous owner must have used those spots to store his loose Gummy Bears.

When I had a chance I researched what it was going to take to do the repairs to the sunroof. From the sounds of it I'll probably have to drop the headliner. Rather than start on it just before my trip to Iowa tomorrow, I decided to postpone that job until later.

I haven't ordered a back up camera yet. As soon as I get one I'll go ahead and install the brake controller. - No sense in having to string wiring through the truck twice. I want to run a pair of heavier gauge wires back to the trailer hook up to make sure the trailer battery stays charged.

Chimneys and gummy bears, lol.
You always make me laugh every time I come to this site.

Last edited:
Well, I survived the trip to Iowa and made it back home unscathed.

I'd always heard people describe driving across Nebraska as being one of the most boring experiences you can have. The reason they don't say the same about driving through Iowa is because the driving habits of the locals prevents you from ever falling asleep.

Someone needs to talk to the car manufacturers and find out why the vehicles sold in Iowa don't come with turn signals. I realize that the law allows the use of hand signals but the only ones I saw had nothing to do with turning.

I know that it's not unusual to see people talking on cell phones while driving nowadays. I've never liked the idea but I've accepted that it's become common practice. In Iowa I think it's become mandatory. I may have even spotted a few people using two at the same time.

One thing that usually annoys me is the glare of headlights in my rear view mirror when driving at night. It isn't much of an issue in Iowa. They tailgate so close that you can't see their lights. If my rear bumper wasn't fairly pristine I'd have shut the truck off and let myself be pushed across the state. - Think of the $$ I could have saved on gas!

Aside from the driving issues I must say that the folks in Iowa seemed fairly polite. When I stopped at a Home Depot to pick up a set of tie down straps I think the girl at the checkout counter even complimented me. She compared me to some famous celebrity. Just who is Jabba-the Hutt anyway?

The pinball machine was located way out in the boonies. (When someone from Nebraska describes it that way you know it's pretty far off the beaten path) I think I passed Hooterville on the way there. At times I've described the town I live in as 'the armpit' of the country. I think the place the pinball was at may have had an orifice. The GPS worked flawlessly.

The machine was in the guy's garage. When I entered I noticed that he had several more arcade games. Just for the heck of it I asked if he wanted to sell any others. I was directed towards an older pinball machine. It was built in 1962. Although it looked beat up it was fully functional. Teresa told me she remembered playing one similar to it when she was young. I tested it out and the gameplay was pretty lame. - Not a lot of targets, bells, or whistles. They'd had it for quite awhile and couldn't get anyone to buy it. They came down on price far enough that I decided to take it off their hands. Teresa should have slapped me on the side of the head and brought me to my senses. Oh well. What's done is done.

-
Back