Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
By the time you get to be as old as the hills you're bound to have collected a bunch of junk. Someday you may see me featured on one of those 'hoarder' programs on TV. They'll be tossing my stuff into the back of a dumpster as I bawl my eyes out. :crybaby:

Can I have the cuda then?

By the time you get to be as old as the hills you're bound to have collected a bunch of junk. Someday you may see me featured on one of those 'hoarder' programs on TV. They'll be tossing my stuff into the back of a dumpster as I bawl my eyes out. :crybaby:

Don't worry I have a 40 x 60 barn with a full loft at my farm full of parts.
The last time I could get to the steps to the loft I put 2 cuda' shaker hoods up there.
Actually forgot about them until you mentioned hording.
I have no idea how much sheet metal A, B and E body stuff is up there, let alone the crap down stairs, 6-pac stuff etc, full engines.
And I have 3 garages at the house I live now stuffed full.
I have grey hair, my wife says I suffer from CRS, can't remember ****.
But I do remember paying only pennies on the dollar for the parts I have now.
Bought them around 20-30 years ago cheap.

Can I have the cuda then?

If things get to that point you'll be dumpster diving and I'll have to be sedated so I probably won't know what the heck is going on. Years later in a nursing home, I'll be reminiscing about all the cars I used to have and the staff will just assume I'm some crazy old coot with a wild imagination. They wouldn't really be all that far off.

Last edited:
Don't worry I have a 40 x 60 barn with a full loft at my farm full of parts.
The last time I could get to the steps to the loft I put 2 cuda' shaker hoods up there.
Actually forgot about them until you mentioned hording.
I have no idea how much sheet metal A, B and E body stuff is up there, let alone the crap down stairs, 6-pac stuff etc, full engines.
And I have 3 garages at the house I live now stuffed full.
I have grey hair, my wife says I suffer from CRS, can't remember ****.
But I do remember paying only pennies on the dollar for the parts I have now.
Bought them around 20-30 years ago cheap.

CRS. Yup. I hear ya. There are days when I suspect a lobotomy would probably be a memory improvement. One of my biggest problems is that I usually sell stuff for pennies on the dollar. :banghead:

Last edited:
My seat covers arrived today for the truck. Even though I'm not planning on this thing turning into some kind of restoration, I still wanted to fix a bunch of stuff that bugged me.

Some 'before' pics of the seats. There was a lot of cracking started, some small tears, and the rear seats had a lot of paint on them. The previous owner was a construction guy and this was his work truck. I figured it wouldn't be long before the rips became bigger.

img_6378-jpg.jpg

img_6379-jpg.jpg

img_6380-jpg.jpg

img_6381-jpg.jpg

img_6382-jpg.jpg

img_6383-jpg.jpg

img_6384-jpg.jpg

img_6385-jpg.jpg

img_6377-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6378.jpg

View attachment IMG_6379.jpg

View attachment IMG_6380.jpg

View attachment IMG_6381.jpg

View attachment IMG_6382.jpg

View attachment IMG_6383.jpg

View attachment IMG_6384.jpg

View attachment IMG_6385.jpg

View attachment IMG_6377.jpg

Last edited:
The covers I bought are a slip over design that can be installed without removing the seats. They're not as nice as a re-upholstery job but they're a lot cheaper. These covers are custom fit to the exact seats I have.

img_6387-jpg.jpg

img_6388-jpg.jpg

img_6389-jpg.jpg

img_6390-jpg.jpg

I do have to remove the rear seat to get it recovered because someone stuffed a big subwoofer beneath it. I still need to stretch the front covers a bit more to get them fitting tighter.

View attachment IMG_6387.jpg

View attachment IMG_6388.jpg

View attachment IMG_6389.jpg

View attachment IMG_6390.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you buy the covers from, they look pretty decent.
My dad has a 06 f-150 that the drivers seat is looking rough.
It would make him a good christmas present.

Where did you buy the covers from, they look pretty decent.
My dad has a 06 f-150 that the drivers seat is looking rough.
It would make him a good christmas present.

Originally I was looking for the CHEAPEST seat covers I could find. I didn't want any 'themed' seat covers. - No Hello Kitty, - no camouflage, - no Ford insignias, etc... What I wanted was something that looked as close to a factory re-upholstery as I could find without breaking the bank. Universal covers suck. They don't fit well. I searched until I found a few companies that offered better quality. The ones from CLAZZIO seemed to be the best but they didn't offer the correct ones for my 2001. Almost as good seemed to be the ones from PrecisionFit and they did offer the ones to fit my truck. Leather was an option but I didn't want to spend that much. I chose their 'Leatherette' covers.

http://www.precisionfit.com/

If you do choose to order some they do install easily. I'd say it would take less than an hour to complete both front & back seats. Easily less than half that for a single cab. They attach using a combination of Velcro and plastic buckled straps. Be VERY cautious with those straps & Velcro. Those straps tear off easily. I tore two of mine. Even with two straps missing my seats are snug but I'll probably try to re-attach them anyway.

Last edited:
A few days ago I was sitting on our couch when suddenly I heard a super-loud banging on our door. I mean REALLY LOUD!! It sounded as though someone was trying to kick the door in.

It was the Sheriff's department. The officer at the door informed me he was there to 'investigate' the vehicles I have on my yard. He did his best to try and intimidate me and treated me like a criminal. I don't like being bullied. He then informed me that he was there to check the VIN numbers on each of my cars and that if I didn't like it there was nothing I could do. His attitude was confrontational.

So, what could I do? Apparently nothing. I closed the door as he traipsed across the yard going from vehicle to vehicle recording the VIN numbers. I didn't see any point to talking further with him. The way he was acting I assumed I'd only get myself into trouble if I voiced any objection.

I knew what this all had to do with. The city council here is pushing to get rid of as many vehicles in town that they deem to be 'nuisances'. I guess that's what they consider mine to be.

They've changed the city ordinances here. It used to be that race cars were exempt from rules the rules they had. I guess that's no longer the case. Today I received a large envelope in the mail stating I have 7 days to remove most of our cars from our property or the Sheriff's department will confiscate them and charge us with misdemeanors for each one and charge us a fee for each one they tow away. They've now decided that any vehicle left on a person's property without being moved in the past 7 days constitutes an abandoned vehicle. Any vehicle that is inoperable does also. With the various car projects I have that are 'in process', I'm screwed.

If I read the copy of their statutes correctly it sounds as though businesses (car dealers) are allowed 60 days rather than the 7 they give to normal owners.

Now, I've gone through this a few times before. Each time they seem to modify their regulations after it was found that I was in compliance the time before. This time they've changed things to the point where I have to move all my cars out of town (other than the Sebring and the truck I just bought).

With all the problems as I've seen (and experienced) with thefts and vandalism in this area I'd think these A$$holes would have something more important to do than step on the rights of lawful citizens. Then again, I guess I'm not considered to be lawful anymore.

I try my best to keep my property maintained. I don't consider my vehicles to be a danger to anyone or an eyesore in the community. I bet if I had a handful of Prius's on the lot I'd have been left alone.

A few days ago I was sitting on our couch when suddenly I heard a super-loud banging on our door. I mean REALLY LOUD!! It sounded as though someone was trying to kick the door in.

It was the Sheriff's department. The officer at the door informed me he was there to 'investigate' the vehicles I have on my yard. He did his best to try and intimidate me and treated me like a criminal. I don't like being bullied. He then informed me that he was there to check the VIN numbers on each of my cars and that if I didn't like it there was nothing I could do. His attitude was confrontational.

So, what could I do? Apparently nothing. I closed the door as he traipsed across the yard going from vehicle to vehicle recording the VIN numbers. I didn't see any point to talking further with him. The way he was acting I assumed I'd only get myself into trouble if I voiced any objection.

I knew what this all had to do with. The city council here is pushing to get rid of as many vehicles in town that they deem to be 'nuisances'. I guess that's what they consider mine to be.

They've changed the city ordinances here. It used to be that race cars were exempt from rules the rules they had. I guess that's no longer the case. Today I received a large envelope in the mail stating I have 7 days to remove most of our cars from our property or the Sheriff's department will confiscate them and charge us with misdemeanors for each one and charge us a fee for each one they tow away. They've now decided that any vehicle left on a person's property without being moved in the past 7 days constitutes an abandoned vehicle. Any vehicle that is inoperable does also. With the various car projects I have that are 'in process', I'm screwed.

If I read the copy of their statutes correctly it sounds as though businesses (car dealers) are allowed 60 days rather than the 7 they give to normal owners.

Now, I've gone through this a few times before. Each time they seem to modify their regulations after it was found that I was in compliance the time before. This time they've changed things to the point where I have to move all my cars out of town (other than the Sebring and the truck I just bought).

With all the problems as I've seen (and experienced) with thefts and vandalism in this area I'd think these A$$holes would have something more important to do than step on the rights of lawful citizens. Then again, I guess I'm not considered to be lawful anymore.

I try my best to keep my property maintained. I don't consider my vehicles to be a danger to anyone or an eyesore in the community. I bet if I had a handful of Prius's on the lot I'd have been left alone.

Town hypocrisy.. They take your tax monies( no problem there!..), yet still instill a home owners administration concept, against a legal taxpayer who complies with the stated legal rules. Have you consulted a good lawyer yet,John?...

Town hypocrisy.. They take your tax monies( no problem there!..), yet still instill a home owners administration concept, against a legal taxpayer who complies with the stated legal rules. Have you consulted a good lawyer yet,John?...

When we consulted an attorney about the problems we were having with that other city council (it was in a different town) we were more or less told that these city councils can legally set whatever rules & regulations they choose. They have their own lawyers. (In this case their lawyer is the same one that the other city council has) The government's attorneys seem to know the limits to which their clients can push things and know that they have the authority to see the codes they write enforced.

I've never quite understood why they've tended to come after me. I've paid my taxes, utility bills, etc. I've never thrown any wild parties. I don't make any noise to speak of after dark. The one thing I've been guilty of is leaving my musclecars out for display. Maybe it sounds silly but I assume there are some very anti-hotrod types that have decided they don't want that in this county. I know for certain that describes several members of law enforcement here.

Last edited:
Legally I think the city is within their rights to "maintain appearance" if any car does not have tags, insurance or inspection.
My step daughter parked her car for a couple of weeks in my yard with a dead inspection sticker, I got a polite note from the city to have it inspected or it would be towed.
It was ok to sit in the yard as long as it was 100% legal to drive down the road, but a 2 week old inspection sticker constitutes it as a junk car in city limits.

Legally I think the city is within their rights to "maintain appearance" if any car does not have tags, insurance or inspection.
My step daughter parked her car for a couple of weeks in my yard with a dead inspection sticker, I got a polite note from the city to have it inspected or it would be towed.
It was ok to sit in the yard as long as it was 100% legal to drive down the road, but a 2 week old inspection sticker constitutes it as a junk car in city limits.

From what I've heard it seems that you're correct about the city being within their rights. I have a hard time believing that they should have those rights though. In my case it doesn't matter if the cars are licensed and insured.

- I don't like someone basing laws on 'maintaining appearance'. I've spent a lot of time and money making my vehicles look nice. When someone else can decide that they don't think it looks good to have someone else's property have multiple vehicles on it, -that may be their opinion. But I don't believe those people should pass laws to force their opinions down someone else's throats.

What's next? They could choose to outlaw certain paint colors from a home's exterior or mandate what brand of vehicle you can own. I've heard of some neighborhood associations that have outlawed flying the American flag. To me that is outrageous. I haven't joined any house association and had been under the belief that I could do whatever I wanted to on my property as long as it didn't endanger anyone and wasn't some form of criminal activity.

The way they have changed the laws here now, there is no way someone could own a musclecar that isn't kept inside year round, - let alone juggle work on multiple vehicles. I don't see how that isn't an intrusion on the rights of the individual home owner.

I guarantee you that there are a number of wealthy people here that own expensive motorhomes and boats who will not be confronted.

Last edited:
I think it still comes down to will the vehicle go down the road 100% legal.

I can park a car trailer on the street with no questions asked, except a polite letter from the city to not let it sit there long so other people have a place to park.

I un-hooked my trailer for one day out in front of my house with my buddies drag GTO on it, the next morning the police knocked on the door, the trailer could stay but the car had to go, or be legal.

John, I don't understand. If your cars are taged and insured, how can they legally get on you. If that is the case I think you need to start a petition or something.

I think it still comes down to will the vehicle go down the road 100% legal.

I can park a car trailer on the street with no questions asked, except a polite letter from the city to not let it sit there long so other people have a place to park.

I un-hooked my trailer for one day out in front of my house with my buddies drag GTO on it, the next morning the police knocked on the door, the trailer could stay but the car had to go, or be legal.

I don't entirely agree. My Barracuda is 100% street legal yet they have listed it as a vehicle that has to go. I realize that the funnycar and Duster are race cars that won't ever be street driven, - but the 'Cuda?? It seems more to me to be based on whether or not they find certain vehicles to be 'acceptable' to them. - And if you want to own some form of hotrod here you better keep it inside where it can't be seen. Having it out will lead to harassment by the council & law enforcement. I know that sounds ludicrous but I don't know how else to explain why they've kept modifying the rules until I could no longer be in compliance or why I've gotten such rude treatment by the sheriff's department.

As far as the police telling you that your buddy's drag GTO couldn't stay at your place, - it's not that much different to what I'm going through. All I can say is 'WHY?' Why are some city councils so hell bent on preventing people from owning a drag car? Sure, it may not be illegal, but they make it as difficult as possible within their power. There are a number of golf carts in this town that are kept outside. Even though they're unlicensed the city allows them to be street driven here. It seems like a double standard to me.

Last edited:
John, I don't understand. If your cars are taged and insured, how can they legally get on you. If that is the case I think you need to start a petition or something.

I think I'm in a very small minority here. I'm sure that they are touting the new regulations as an attempt to clean up the town and there probably aren't too many people that feel they want to oppose that idea. Truth is that the regulations will force the cleanup of some properties. - But the reality is that these regulations they've written go beyond that and I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

Last edited:
The Duster and the dually are gone. Today I moved them to a friend's place. They say 'there's no fighting city hall' and I guess they're right. The 'Lil Red Express is next. There was no way I was going to get it finished & drivable within the next 5 days.

I've had enough vehicles here that it wasn't unusual for me to have some of them sit for months at a time. We used to keep the majority at the farm and only brought the ones in that we wanted to drive or work on. Ever since the burglaries started we felt it safest to keep the most valuable ones here. Now that they're classifying any vehicle that isn't driven within a 7 day span to be an 'abandoned vehicle' I guess they've all got to go. I've got too much to do to keep playing hopscotch with them all the time.

Despite all the drama around here lately I'm still trying to make progress on some of my projects. Last night I turned my attention back to that older pinball machine I'd bought. I figure that I'll have to make a few mods to increase the play-ability. Right now the balls seem to go straight down the center 50% of the time. I've seen some pictures online that show a center bumper added in and some that have added longer flipper arms. It'll still be old and slow but at least it'll be less frustrating.

The playing field was in pretty good shape but the paint was flaking off of the back glass. I decided to try to re-design it to make it look better.

I started with this:

start-jpg.jpg

I searched online for images that I could manipulate with the computer's paint program. You can see how it evolves as I add each new piece of artwork.

start2-jpg.jpg

start3-jpg.jpg

start5-jpg.jpg

start6-jpg.jpg

start7-jpg.jpg

start9-jpg.jpg

start10-jpg.jpg

start11-jpg.jpg

start16-jpg.jpg

I think I may change the images of the cars to match my own Barracuda & Duster yet. For now, I needed some pics that I could play with. I'm eager to start designing the main wooden exterior. I think I'll shoot it all black and add new graphics over it. I haven't come up with any ideas for the playing field yet. It won't be a great pinball machine when it's done but it should look pretty cool.

View attachment START.jpg

View attachment start2.jpg

View attachment start3.jpg

View attachment start5.jpg

View attachment start6.jpg

View attachment start7.jpg

View attachment start9.jpg

View attachment start10.jpg

View attachment start11.jpg

View attachment start16.jpg

Last edited:
Last image on the pin-ball machine looks the best.

Sounds like you need to sell a couple of houses and move out to the farm.

I think there is also a 7 day vehicle has to move ordinance here.
I only park 2 about permanently in front of the house, but I do make a point to drive both of them each week, and park them in a different direction each time.
Its plain BS since I own 1/2 the city block, but you have to play by the rules.
My driveway is 5 cars wide, and it has a couple of cars with covers over them.
City does not say crap about them.

That stupid county ordinance/law is why I have a 36' X80' pole barn out back. They wanted to come an inspect them. I said "f#@& you!" :protest:

One of the neighbors complained back when I lived in Round Rock about my "loud" car. County Sheriff came by to visit. I happened to be in the garage. When he drove up I closed the garage door as I stepped into the driveway. He asked about the car. I told him it was licensed, inspected, and fully legal. He asked if I could open the door and show him. I asked if he had a warrant. I smiled and opened the door anyway, started the car and pulled it into the driveway. He walked once around the car, then spent the next 30 minutes telling me all about his '67 Nova...

Apparently the guy around the corner was complaining about me squealing tires, racing around, and etcetera at all hours even late at night. He claimed that I had been at it for the past sixth months. Makes sense considering I had two month old twins sleeping in the front room and this was the first time the car had been out of the garage in six months. There was also that period of time before the kids were born when I was in another country. Maybe my pregnant wife was street racing to pick up extra cash. Sheriff at least laughed when I dropped that line on him.

I told the Sheriff that my money was on the kids two blocks over with the Supra, but they probably did not flip off the old man when he glared at them when they were driving past his house like I did.

When the kids were about three this same old guy drove by and was taking pictures of the weeds in my yard so he could send them to the HOA. My kids and the neighbor's daughter were in the yard. I yelled "pedophile" and ran out of the garage at his pickup with a pick axe. He almost wrecked leaving the street. I didn't see him for at least a year after that.

Good times...

Last image on the pin-ball machine looks the best.

I like the addition of the 'THUNDER VALLEY" logo but I'm still uncertain if I'll use it. If I had some really good images of the track that I could manipulate for the table playing field I'd probably go with it for sure.

I've considered making it more of a MOPAR theme instead or possibly a CAR-toons theme. I guess I won't decide until I can map out the entire machine.

Sounds like you need to sell a couple of houses and move out to the farm.

Ideally Teresa would like the convenience of staying in town but I don't see it as a viable option if I'm forced to give up the car hobby. We talked it over and agreed the city has been evolving into a less friendly place to live. Although we won't be able to move in the near future, we have decided to put this house on the market as soon as we're able.

I think there is also a 7 day vehicle has to move ordinance here. I only park 2 about permanently in front of the house, but I do make a point to drive both of them each week, and park them in a different direction each time. Its plain BS since I own 1/2 the city block, but you have to play by the rules.
My driveway is 5 cars wide, and it has a couple of cars with covers over them.
City does not say crap about them.

In the big scheme of things I realize that there are much bigger problems facing the world than these BS issues with city councils. - But I can't help but come unglued. It is understandable that laws will encroach on personal freedoms. But the laws made should be for people's protection, and laws made that do not serve that purpose seem illegitimate to me.

Last edited:
That stupid county ordinance/law is why I have a 36' X80' pole barn out back. They wanted to come an inspect them. I said "f#@& you!" :protest:

They have laws here against the construction of pole buildings too. - No steel buildings either. They regulate how big garages can be and limit the height of the eaves so I'd never be able to install a lift either.

When my dad built this house he purchased the lot next to it as an investment and planned to sell it later. They changed their regulations regarding how large a lot has to be before you can build a house on it after he bought it. The lot adjacent to us became classified as 'too small' then. He had considered building a shop on it but the city's limitations kept him from doing it.

My conversation with the authorities sort of went the opposite direction. They may not have used such colorful language but they did let me know that I could pretty much go screw myself if I objected. When I told the Sheriff deputy that I'd rather he NOT go through my vehicles, he moved his hand to his holster and put a finger on the gun's release strap. - AND I WAS POLITE! I doubt I would have gotten shot but I figured that if I argued with him I'd probably have been cited for interfering with law enforcement or something like that.

Last edited:
One of the neighbors complained back when I lived in Round Rock about my "loud" car. County Sheriff came by to visit. I happened to be in the garage. When he drove up I closed the garage door as I stepped into the driveway. He asked about the car. I told him it was licensed, inspected, and fully legal. He asked if I could open the door and show him. I asked if he had a warrant. I smiled and opened the door anyway, started the car and pulled it into the driveway. He walked once around the car, then spent the next 30 minutes telling me all about his '67 Nova...

Apparently the guy around the corner was complaining about me squealing tires, racing around, and etcetera at all hours even late at night. He claimed that I had been at it for the past sixth months. Makes sense considering I had two month old twins sleeping in the front room and this was the first time the car had been out of the garage in six months. There was also that period of time before the kids were born when I was in another country. Maybe my pregnant wife was street racing to pick up extra cash. Sheriff at least laughed when I dropped that line on him.

I told the Sheriff that my money was on the kids two blocks over with the Supra, but they probably did not flip off the old man when he glared at them when they were driving past his house like I did.

When the kids were about three this same old guy drove by and was taking pictures of the weeds in my yard so he could send them to the HOA. My kids and the neighbor's daughter were in the yard. I yelled "pedophile" and ran out of the garage at his pickup with a pick axe. He almost wrecked leaving the street. I didn't see him for at least a year after that.

Good times...

It cracked me up when I read the part where you yelled 'PEDOPHILE' at that guy.

I was pretty sure that I wasn't the only one that was having 'these' types of problems. I was surprised to see some of the other states where it occurs though. I always thought that this sort of thing was more likely to happen in places like California, Washington, or Colorado where there are a lot more tree huggers.

Last edited:
-
Back