Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
There was a break in the rain today. Before heading out to do house painting I towed the Duster into the driveway.

img_5093-jpg.jpg

img_5091-jpg.jpg

img_5090-jpg.jpg

img_5089-jpg.jpg

img_5087-jpg.jpg

I haven't dropped the pan yet but at least it's on pavement now.

View attachment IMG_5093.jpg

View attachment IMG_5091.jpg

View attachment IMG_5090.jpg

View attachment IMG_5089.jpg

View attachment IMG_5087.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't a beginner easy fix, a good welder (with time & patience...), can do it, without pulling it...(I.M.O....)

It isn't a beginner easy fix, a good welder (with time & patience...), can do it, without pulling it...(I.M.O....)

I`m mopar about as far as it goes w/in reason. but don`t you just hate the center sump pans and torsion bar clearance, and throw in the factory k frame on top of that. jim hale showed me a k frame that he`d done, if I was running one, Id do his mod 1st thing !

There was a break in the rain today. Before heading out to do house painting I towed the Duster into the driveway.

View attachment 1714813925

View attachment 1714813926

View attachment 1714813927

View attachment 1714813928

View attachment 1714813929

I haven't dropped the pan yet but at least it's on pavement now.

A little j.B weld and your good to go!!!!!
Maybe throw some bondo on it and give it a gold paint job?
L.O.L!!!!!!
It's gonna be a bugger to get off and fix or replace but at least your working on a Mopar again.
:violent1::banghead:

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to agree with you. I've got the aluminum panels pretty close to those fenderwell headers. If I have to jack the motor to get the pan out I'd probably have to disconnect the exhaust.

Last edited:
I`m mopar about as far as it goes w/in reason. but don`t you just hate the center sump pans and torsion bar clearance, and throw in the factory k frame on top of that. jim hale showed me a k frame that he`d done, if I was running one, Id do his mod 1st thing !

I agree that those torsion bars can be a real pain when it comes to fitting exhaust, etc... I'm looking forward to working with that HemiDenny K-frame setup in the Charger. It'll be interesting to see if I gain a lot of clearance. I so realize that I'll have that rack & pinion to contend with though.

Last edited:
A little j.B weld and your good to go!!!!!
Maybe throw some bondo on it and give it a gold paint job?
L.O.L!!!!!!
It's gonna be a bugger to get off and fix or replace but at least your working on a Mopar again.
:violent1::banghead:

One of the biggest reasons I'd wanted to drop the pan was to remove the dent and make it look pretty again. After consideration I think I'll weld it up under the car and maybe worry about the way the pan looks later. I may end up wanting to pull the motor next Winter and I can get to it then.

Last edited:
One of the biggest reasons I'd wanted to drop the pan was to remove the dent and make it look pretty again. After consideration I think I'll weld it up under the car and maybe worry about the way the pan looks later. I may end up wanting to pull the motor next Winter and I can get to it then.

If you are going to do it on the car, I would make a patch for the cut. Do not weld the cut directly. You take the chance of weld splatter, piece of wire burn through, etc., getting in the pan. With a patch, you are welding to somewhat flat metal outside the "cut" area without the risk of burning the edge of the "cut" and making the hole bigger.
I would not risk my engine on a piece of debris from welding getting in there and wipe a bearing, or worse.
No matter which way you go, it's still gonna have a repaired area.
Or, you could take the pan off and do a really pretty job on it......... :glasses7:

I know, I just ruined your parade....... I hear it's raining there anyway. Ha!

I've got a guy coming over tomorrow to look at our used Charger fenders. They are in pretty good shape. The only rust is surface. I stripped them down to bare metal inside and out and know they won't need any patching but they'll need either blasted or chemically etched to be perfectly clean. They have light dings and dents but are really decent for used o.e.m. I told him $300 each or $500 for the pair. The AMD catalog lists them for $749 each.

He's also planning a supercharged 512 for his car so he's interested in seeing the way we cut our hood. I told him I'd give him our old hood for free if he wanted one to play with. The under-structure is rusted out so it hasn't much value but if he wanted to gut it, it could still work.

img_5095-jpg.jpg

img_5098-jpg.jpg

If he decides he doesn't want the fenders I'll take them to the big Mopar show in Omaha next weekend.

View attachment IMG_5095.jpg

View attachment IMG_5098.jpg

Last edited:
If you are going to do it on the car, I would make a patch for the cut. Do not weld the cut directly. You take the chance of weld splatter, piece of wire burn through, etc., getting in the pan. With a patch, you are welding to somewhat flat metal outside the "cut" area without the risk of burning the edge of the "cut" and making the hole bigger.
I would not risk my engine on a piece of debris from welding getting in there and wipe a bearing, or worse.
No matter which way you go, it's still gonna have a repaired area.
Or, you could take the pan off and do a really pretty job on it......... :glasses7:

I know, I just ruined your parade....... I hear it's raining there anyway. Ha!

Ya, I was concerned about spatter. I figured I could avoid it by hammering the gap closed before running a bead. That patch idea is pretty good. It might even be cosmetically better looking.

Last edited:
I sold the Charger fenders yesterday. The guy told me he's thinking about modifying the front of his Charger. He's looking for a '70 front wrap-around front bumper that he can mold into it and still maintain the '68 grill. - Personally I'd leave the front end stock, but maybe he'll be able to get it to work and look right. I think he'll make good use of that hood I gave him. If he guts the understructure and reinforces it for his blower opening he should be alright.

I sold the Charger fenders yesterday. The guy told me he's thinking about modifying the front of his Charger. He's looking for a '70 front wrap-around front bumper that he can mold into it and still maintain the '68 grill. - Personally I'd leave the front end stock, but maybe he'll be able to get it to work and look right. I think he'll make good use of that hood I gave him. If he guts the understructure and reinforces it for his blower opening he should be alright.

I did something like that on my 68 Charger. I tried to make it look like you could get non hide away headlights as a factory option like they did on the 71-74 charger.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0426_2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 198

That shouldn't look too bad if he can pull it off.:blob:

Glad you were able to help a guy out on fenders and a bad hood. Sounds like you gave him a great deal on them. Now you have some money for a new oil pan. Or is it paint brushes that you need? L.O.L!!!

I did something like that on my 68 Charger. I tried to make it look like you could get non hide away headlights as a factory option like they did on the 71-74 charger.
img_0427-jpg.jpg
img_0426_2-jpg.jpg

I'll have to show him the pictures of your Charger the next time he stops by. I'd suggested to him that he consider putting in a Coronet grill and give it a Charger 500 look. I assume that's a steel hood you're sporting on your Charger. He'll like to see it too. One of the things that bugged him about the factory Charger hoods was that area where water tends to pool. - Any pictures of the underside of it?

Last edited:
Glad you were able to help a guy out on fenders and a bad hood. Sounds like you gave him a great deal on them. Now you have some money for a new oil pan. Or is it paint brushes that you need? L.O.L!!!

Sort of a rainy day again today so I took Teresa to Omaha for Mother's Day. We picked up a carton of brushes. The $$ from the fenders will go toward those 'glass fenders & K-member. The guy that bought the fenders works at Speedway Motors. I should have twisted his arm to sneak me some discounts from there as part of the deal!

Last edited:
That shouldn't look too bad if he can pull it off.:blob:

I think the guy is just in his mid-twenties. I know this is his first car project. He seems to want to modernize his Charger somewhat similarly to what you're doing to your 'Cuda. He's already installed an Alterkation K-member/rack setup on it and is tinkering around with the idea of a modified rear suspension.

I'll probably be doing more dealing with him later. My son is thinking about making changes to the original cam/valvetrain components that we bought and it sounds as though he'll be interested in buying some of our leftovers.

Last edited:
I cannot believe you didn't pump that guy for cheap parts!!!!!!!!!!!! :violent1:

FAIL!!!

Bad John, bad. :violent1:

If I recall correctly HemiDenny said that the brake and steering components we'll need to finish his K-member are available through Speedway. They've got such a limited Mopar product line that it didn't occur to me that I was going to be doing much business with them in the near future until after he left. I'll do a little arm twisting after I see the parts list of what we'll be needing.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly HemiDenny said that the brake and steering components we'll need to finish his K-member are available through Speedway. They've got such a limited Mopar product line that it didn't occur to me that I was going to be doing much business with them in the near future until after he left. I'll do a little arm twisting after I see the parts list of what we'll be needing.

Indeed Speedway , is limited on Mopar specific products. However the universal circle track chassis section, always makes my mouth water. As for Chargers, I still want a '71-73 body style. I dunno if it's from my brother in law,having a root beer brown '71, or watching the Shaft movies ,too many times. Dammit, want too many cool cars...

Indeed Speedway , is limited on Mopar specific products. However the universal circle track chassis section, always makes my mouth water. As for Chargers, I still want a '71-73 body style. I dunno if it's from my brother in law,having a root beer brown '71, or watching the Shaft movies ,too many times. Dammit, want too many cool cars...

I know what you mean. Those years are under appreciated by most. I had a '71 Satellite Sebring years ago and hated the styling compared to my '70 Roadrunner. Now, all these years later I look at the '71 on ups and salivate over them. - What an idiot I was.

Last edited:
Had a few 71-72 Satellites. One was a fed car from Arkansas. Certified speedo and everything. :glasses7: Got wayyy hammered and wrecked that one. :protest:
Trying to buy a 72 from a local buddy. :cheers:

-
Back