Any input on this carb?

-
Simple rule of thumb here. Automatic=vacuum secondary. Maunal=double pumper. There are exceptions, but the rule will serve you well. The 750 Dominator is a THREE circuit carburetor. The three circuit carbs will run very rich without expensive tuning. A 3310 750 will probably be perfect for you outta the box.

Simple rule of thumb here. Automatic=vacuum secondary. Maunal=double pumper. There are exceptions, but the rule will serve you well. The 750 Dominator is a THREE circuit carburetor. The three circuit carbs will run very rich without expensive tuning. A 3310 750 will probably be perfect for you outta the box.

I dont agree with that at all. A 750 will run perfect on a medium (unsure what level that is) built 360. Vacuum carbs are for stock cars with too low stall speed and highway gears. Any car with gear and a remotely loose converter will like a double pumper. The Holley 750 dominator is a 750HP in disguise for the car show crowd who wants the flash of a Dominator but run like a 750. The 3 circuit carbs run well on the street, the two circuit have a huge problem at part throttle where the intermediate circuit should be, but it doesnt exist on a 2 circuit. That 750 Dominator would actually run well on his 360 even though it probably doesn't sound like it needs one.

The 750 Dominator is a DOMINATOR. It's not an "HP in disguise". It is a frikkin DOMINATOR. Without expensive tuning, including maching for restrictors and the like, they will be too rich for most street cars. Here. Go argue with Car Craft Magazine.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0603_run_a_dominator_on_the_street/index.html

Damn dead on balls acurte and frickin bulleyes!

He needs that Dom like a hole in the head.

turbodart68, your post shows a disreguard for his possible build and level of performance. Running such a carb on the street is not an ideal set up even for how he described his car/engine set up. Stroker Scamps "In General rule of thumb" is an excellent guide line. He may be able to use a double pumper, but with out a detailed description of the engine, I'd shy away from such a recomendation and error on the side of caution.

A 750 VS would do very well on this set up given it's general description.

Thanks, rumblefish. Well, I can tell you this....although it didn't involve a dominator. I had a 65 Valiant with a 12.5:1 360. it was a BLUEPRINTED 12.5:1 motor.....not some bench racin bullshit. It had 205 PSI cranking pressure. I had the Mopar 292 purple shaft in it, LD340 intake, Doug's headers, a hot 904 with 3K stall and 4.30 gears. ran mid 11s. I went from a heavily modded 750 3310 vacuum secondary carb to a 780 DP and the car slowed down. I tried jettin that damn thing every which way and never could get it back to where it was. Bolted the vacuum carb back on and it sped back up. If there was a car that wouldda "liked" a double pumper with an automatic, believe me, that car wouldda been it. It ran good with the DP, just not as fast or quick. It's funny to me that all this is in the MP engine book. It says vacuum carbs for autos and DPs for manuals.....and no exceptions, whether it's deep gears, flashy converters or whatever. This is why you'll see a lot of Thermoquads in the different SS classes of racing. they are about the best vacuum carbs there are up to a certain point. The DPs are good at makin you "feel" like you're goin fast cause you can feel those secondaries kickin in. The truth is, if you can feel it, then that's a bog, and bogs slow you down. Even with vacuum carbs, when you can feel the secondaries coming in, you need to do more tuning. Once you get it to where it's smooth as glass and all it does is keep on keepin on, you got it right. I've always felt like vacuum carbs were a thinkin man's carb because they are smart carbs. They know when to open up. They just need to be fine tuned to what's under them....and most of the time, a WISELY chosen vacuum carb for a given application will be very close to perfect right outta the box. That's tougher to do with a DP, especially with an automatic.

Vtmopar, do you have the 4777 650 DP? If so, switching to the Proform or Holley main body for about $125 will make it a 750. Don't know anything about Dominators myself but i believe the 750 version has the same size venturis as the 1050 but has some big *** boosters to kill the flow.

Damn dead on balls acurte and frickin bulleyes!

He needs that Dom like a hole in the head.

turbodart68, your post shows a disreguard for his possible build and level of performance. Running such a carb on the street is not an ideal set up even for how he described his car/engine set up. Stroker Scamps "In General rule of thumb" is an excellent guide line. He may be able to use a double pumper, but with out a detailed description of the engine, I'd shy away from such a recomendation and error on the side of caution.

A 750 VS would do very well on this set up given it's general description.

First off, did you read that article? It doesn't support your point. Secondly, have either of you guys run a Dominator on the street? Two? I have and I am here to tell you that they are the most adjustable carbs on the planet. They can be made to work very well. I might even bet that you could put one (a 750) on a stock 360 and have it behave properly, cant say that for other carbs. I have every reason to believe that the OPs engine combo is on the racy-er side of things and there is a reason that he is asking about the Dominator explicitly. I just read the article, thank you by the way it is a good article and there is a lot of info there that is very useful. In the article it states a couple of things. The 750 Dominator has a smaller bore size than the 1050.

They also state this " The bottom line is that large carburetors can be made to work on the street. The choice is to either invest in a custom-built carb modified by a professional carb builder like SMI or spend the time, patience, and money in search of the knowledge and tricks to modify your own carburetor to perform up to current expectations. None of this will come easy and there's much more to the Dominators than we could cover here. If you do your homework, you can make a Dominator work on the street. "

A 750 VS belongs on STOCK cars and is a very milk toast carb, I dont like them and apparently it shows. I think we have presented a bunch of good info for the OP to digest. Thanks guys for the info and the good debate.

Was thinking of ordering this.
Right now I am running a 1450 650 but want to upgrade to a 750.
Never ran a dominator or know anyone that has.
medium built 360, 3500 stall and 3.91's
street strip car.
thanks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80186-1/

I will say i agree about the 3 circuit Dom. being a decent street carb once its "dialed in" properly by a professional who knows those carbs, the 3rd. curcuit makes it more tunable in the mid area (part/moderate throttle), but most wouldn't be able to tune it in your area i'll bet, so you'de have to send it off, I'll say unless you just want that "bling' affect that carb has no grounds being on a combo like yours, even if its a 750 thay flow alot of air & have a lazier signal, they belong on a build alot more then yours that sees very high RPMs, sure it'll work, but your waisting your money if you buy it, because your looking to go "faster" not slower right?? Now that i've said that, i'll say this, your waising your money on ANY carb purchase from what you already have IMHO, That 650dp is the most versatile carb out there for a DPer, its not too big, its not too small, & they "rock" for there size period on a variety of engines, you would be better off sending that 650dp out to a good holley carb guy & have it modified for less then 1/2 what that Dom. would cost you & i'll garuantee you'd be a whole lot happier, I've seen guys running in the 10s on there smaller BBs with nothing more then a 650dp, i also would not waist any money on the Proform MB, just keep what you have & spend the money elsewhere, trust me on this one, you "will not" see that much of a gain switching, you may even gain "nothing", how badly would that suck, would really suck if you lost power because the carb was too big, the choice is yours my friend.

If you don't mind a 500.00 price tad, this would be a great carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holl...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

First off, did you read that article? It doesn't support your point. Secondly, have either of you guys run a Dominator on the street? Two? I have and I am here to tell you that they are the most adjustable carbs on the planet. They can be made to work very well. I might even bet that you could put one (a 750) on a stock 360 and have it behave properly, cant say that for other carbs. I have every reason to believe that the OPs engine combo is on the racy-er side of things and there is a reason that he is asking about the Dominator explicitly. I just read the article, thank you by the way it is a good article and there is a lot of info there that is very useful. In the article it states a couple of things. The 750 Dominator has a smaller bore size than the 1050.
I don't care if it supports my point, your missing mine via what you read and only what you read. No big deal. You can go read and beileve what you want. If you have done this, great. But heres my point via what YOU said and nothing more on that for now. Ready for the quote?
They can be made to work very well.
Can be made to work. Why? Seriously speaking, all carbs can be "Made to work well" and all will need tuning. This one requires more tuning. So whats the point your making?
If such is the case, going to a higher dollor carb with 3 instead of 2 circuts, why not get a better carb and make a jump upwards with more features?
LOL WTF will spend his money and go super duper quasi moto direct port F.I.! LOL!
I might even bet that you could put one (a 750) on a stock 360 and have it behave properly, cant say that for other carbs.
You might even bet? Why bet? And other carbs won't work? Are you outta your mind?
So your telling me for the better part of the last 75 years that people have been putting Carters and Holleys on there engine that weren't this 750 Dom series carb, they were doing it wrong?

You are crazy. Absoultely crazy.

cant say that for other carbs
I just can't beilev I'm even reading this one. It applies to every carb to a degree.

The 750 Dominator has a smaller bore size than the 1050.
This, we know. Thank YOU very much. ;)

They also state this " The bottom line is that large carburetors can be made to work on the street.
True, been there done that, wan't the happiest about it, but, if it'll getcha home, then by GOD do it. I once had a 800 DP on a mostly stock 318. That was short lived. (Thanks tomy buds, I got home with it and promptly swapped it out. Gave it back.)

The choice is to either invest in a custom-built carb modified by a professional carb builder like SMI or spend the time, patience, and money in search of the knowledge and tricks to modify your own carburetor to perform up to current expectations.
If one wants to invest (Or AKA throw there money away, fine) or learn a carb (Which any hot rodder worth the salt will at least attempt to do.) fine, I guess it's a choice thing. Which one do you do?
Did you learn to tune a carb?
The OE poster never stated if he knows or learned. So, with that being, that alone leans me to suggest a basic holley to learn on. (Something that has been done for many years. When did that 1850/3310 carb come out? IDK, millions of hot rodders/racers can be to far from wrong.)

None of this will come easy and there's much more to the Dominators than we could cover here. If you do your homework, you can make a Dominator work on the street. "
So by this, I should throw away my tried and true carbs and spend more money on a 750 Dom to learn a 3 curcuit carb for what now?

A 750 VS belongs on STOCK cars and is a very milk toast carb, I dont like them and apparently it shows. I think we have presented a bunch of good info for the OP to digest. Thanks guys for the info and the good debate.
Milky toast carb. That is funny! IDK what that means. I never read that before, but it sounds like a trashing of the carb. LOL! That is funny. He he he he, milky toast!

A VS carb works best with a auto matic trans, he has that.
I've seen 3310's into the 11's. I guess they got it working well? Would the Dom be better? I guess it would be. But at what cost? IDK that ethier. But is it worth it to you for a street/ strip car?

there is alot of missing info here on his build. Just street strip and 3.91's leaves alot of room. I personally do not see a S/S car w/3.91 being super fast and in need of a high dollor carb and a possible re-learning of tuning a 3 curciut. IDK.

From here on out, I'm outta this thread. He has alot to choose from and read about.

Vtmopar, do you have the 4777 650 DP? If so, switching to the Proform or Holley main body for about $125 will make it a 750. Don't know anything about Dominators myself but i believe the 750 version has the same size venturis as the 1050 but has some big *** boosters to kill the flow.

Yes.

The 3310 was another I was thinking of.

I have a 570 street avenger I had on a midly built 350 SBC that worked well.
I tried it on my 360 and it did not work. Ran very lean. Stepped the jets but was not enough carb.
I do not know what I have for a cam or compression.
I will not know that until this winter when I get the motor out.
I have only had this car a few months.
My first Mopar,learning.
I know some about engines and I do know it is a very aggressive cam.
Very choppy Idle loves WOT.
has fairly high compression have to run high test.

Has chevy adjustable rockers and not sure if it still has the small valves in it or not.
The previous owner told me it had a 3500 stall converter. I do believe it but he bought the car as is,he did not build it.
Again I will know for sure when the motor is out and I can go through everything.
Its a very quick car. I am very curious to find out what cam it has and what has been done to the heads.
Plan on rebuilding the engine this winter.
Goals are somewhat streetable car that hopefully will run in the low 13's
then work towards getting into the 12's eventually.
Somone used the car at some point as a track car,the rear fenders have been rolled to accomadate wider tires.
Pleased with the car,light and fun.

Thanks for the input and replys.

Yes.

The 3310 was another I was thinking of.

I have a 570 street avenger I had on a midly built 350 SBC that worked well.
I tried it on my 360 and it did not work. Ran very lean. Stepped the jets but was not enough carb.
I do not know what I have for a cam or compression.
I will not know that until this winter when I get the motor out.
I have only had this car a few months.
My first Mopar,learning.
I know some about engines and I do know it is a very aggressive cam.
Very choppy Idle loves WOT.
has fairly high compression have to run high test.

Has chevy adjustable rockers and not sure if it still has the small valves in it or not.
The previous owner told me it had a 3500 stall converter. I do believe it but he bought the car as is,he did not build it.
Again I will know for sure when the motor is out and I can go through everything.
Its a very quick car. I am very curious to find out what cam it has and what has been done to the heads.
Plan on rebuilding the engine this winter.
Goals are somewhat streetable car that hopefully will run in the low 13's
then work towards getting into the 12's eventually.
Somone used the car at some point as a track car,the rear fenders have been rolled to accomadate wider tires.
Pleased with the car,light and fun.

Thanks for the input and replys.

Your welcome. I was wondering why you were looking at the Dominator. I think this post clears that up. Good luck!

-
Back