Anyone running a crosswind (air gap knock off) intake?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
If so, how is the quality? Would anyone recommend one? Anyone recommend not buying one? I am going to be putting eigther one of these, or the actual edelbrock performer rpm air gap on a 10.3 to 1 340 with ported X heads, that flowed 268 cfm in. 195 cfm ex. @ .500 lift, possibly a comp XE284H cam. I think this will make a pretty good combo. Cam is rated for 2200-6500. Any thoughts on this combo?

got mine a couple years ago.. works fine... looks good.. all the ports matched up.

I have 45k miles on mine know. I have no issues, fits good and looks good. Can't compare it to anything else since I built the engine with it. The ports are a little smaller than the Air Gap so it likely favors the lower RPMs more than the Air Gap.

And we wonder why all the American aftermarket companies are going out of business.

The Edelbrock Air Gap is a better manifold, doesn't really cost all that much more, and supports an American company with some great hot rodding history. Look for a used one if price is really that big of an issue. I don't have a Crosswind, but I have heard other members say the castings are pretty rough. But I don't have one. The quality on the Edelbrock Air Gap I have is great, and I would (and probably will) buy more of them.

As far as the combo, should be a strong engine. Not sure what the heads are ported to flow, but I'm guessing you should be up around 450 hp. I prefer Lunati cams myself, the 340 I am finishing up is set up at 10:1 with 308 heads ported to flow 264cfm at .500" and has a 60404 Lunati cam in it (Advertised Duration 276/284, Lift .513/.533) and an Edelbrock air gap. The lunati's have a little less duration, but more lift, than the comparable Comp cams. But picking cams depends a lot on what people like, Comp makes good cams and I would suspect the end result is pretty comparable.

And we wonder why all the American aftermarket companies are going out of business.

The Edelbrock Air Gap is a better manifold, doesn't really cost all that much more, and supports an American company with some great hot rodding history.
X2 I wish I would have known about this website a few months before I started buying parts for my stroker, I bought a summit stage 3 manifold (china copy Airgap) and saved 40 bucks on the purchase, then spent $70.00 addl to make it fit on my LA stroker, the machine shop that built my motor did the machining without asking, then charged me for it afterward, they work but I would never buy one again, GO EDELBROCK keep the money in the US. JMO

:stop: Haha i bought one for my truck a couple years ago, i almost sent it back to china where it came from(says right on it). Next time ill buy the eddy, i only bought it because i needed one, and its not a race car. Port mismatch was hoooorrible. It costs a little more, probably because eddy has a q.c. department.

I thought Edelbrock was sold to a German companiy last year.....

When i bought mine it was $170... the comparable edelbrock air gap.. was almost $300. Edelbrock is a good company.. but sometimes the prices are a bit inflated..

Chances are i'll be going to a single plane intake in the future so either way i look at it i'm probably getting a mopar intake or get lucky and find a single plane that fits a magnum from edelbrock.

Forget buying American to support the workers, people need to stop voting for the R's who's main goal is the help big businesses earn higher profits over everything else.

Yeah Clinton was the one who started the China invasion of goods but I think things would have been much better today for us Joe 6 Packs if Gore would have gotten in over GWB...I can't see fuel prices being any higher, which was a worry with Gore and his green BS, at least many of us would have been earning higher wages and maybe our home values would still be going up like they still are up in Canada.

End of rant, sorry:butthead:

It doesn't sound like the rest of your engine is cheap, so what's a few extra $$ on the intake for an Eddy?

Thanks for everyones input. I bit the bullet today and ordered the Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap from summit. Should be here in a few days

My experience led me to not bother trying again. I think you made a decent choice.

Cheap Chinese crap. I've seen a new Crosswinds and a new Airgap side by side and there is no comparison...the Airgap is superior.

Wish my duster were green instead of pink. Wana trade? Mine has a worked over 10 to 1 ported aluminum headed roller cam 340 pushing 450 HP. The chevy boys @ work get pissed when the pink duster (girls car as they call it) beats there chevys @ the track. 7.60s in the 1/8th w 3:91s 3800 stall. If i were to hit 7.40s i will need a cage. Dont want a cage so its fast enough for me. Sure there are faster, but very streetable car as well. Good combo for me.

Wish i would have waited. Just give almost $275 including shipping for a new one. Could have saved $50. Good deal for someone.

When i bought mine it was $170... the comparable edelbrock air gap.. was almost $300. Edelbrock is a good company.. but sometimes the prices are a bit inflated..

Does the china copy company do any reseach on the motor your using when building an intake...

NO

Does the china copy company build or design anything for use on your motor

NO

So when you really can't get anything for a SB mopar don't run your mouth when you help screw the companies that spend money and countless hours designing and redesigning parts for your use....

So now the 300 for the intake isn't so much, and without it some scumbag couldn't send it over to china to be copied...

EVERYONE should stop using places that are selling scumbag copies....
like summit.....

No loyalty here in this country anymore....
pathetic

Forget buying American to support the workers, people need to stop voting for the R's who's main goal is the help big businesses earn higher profits over everything else.

Yeah Clinton was the one who started the China invasion of goods but I think things would have been much better today for us Joe 6 Packs if Gore would have gotten in over GWB...I can't see fuel prices being any higher, which was a worry with Gore and his green BS, at least many of us would have been earning higher wages and maybe our home values would still be going up like they still are up in Canada.

End of rant, sorry:butthead:

You better do some research before talking nonsense...

clinton cost this country 5 millions jobs

the new dick is still going ahead with 3 other free trades that will cost this country another 300,000 in 5 years.

Oil is not controlled by the president, so stop talking stupid.

If gore got in things would be worse... from terrorists doing as they please.

Housing prices going up aren't a good thing.... wtf kind of economical thinking is that...
Escalate housing prices out of reach so no one can afford them...

please stick to whatever auto knowledge you have....

Theres a 40 year plus mopar engine builder in S. Fl who runs the crosswind and swears by them. I bought one for my magnum the ports are slightly smaller than the Edelbrock and the finish is slightly more porous but at this point I don't see a problem with saving 150 bucks. If I were a perfectionist and concerned with slightly mismatched ports and minimal hp loss or needed a better finish it would be a different story.

So, edelbrock designed these and patented them I am sure, so edelbrock sold the patent to someone before they could have them made (anywhere) and sold in the US.

If edelbrock sold the patent, where is the loyalty coming from?

There are a lot of "american" companies that are owned by foreign investors so that profit does not necessarily go to americans.

You should take your own advice "please stick to whatever auto knowledge you have"

You'll see a problem with saving 150 bucks when you want a *** intake for your sb and there isn't any since china has no R&D....

Your only choices are a hand made AL sheet intake, or hand made tubular intake that you can't afford...

Then you'll see the light, like the 40 yr asshat in s fl

So, edelbrock designed these and patented them I am sure, so edelbrock sold the patent to someone before they could have them made (anywhere) and sold in the US.

If edelbrock sold the patent, where is the loyalty coming from?

There are a lot of "american" companies that are owned by foreign investors so that profit does not necessarily go to americans.

You should take your own advice "please stick to whatever auto knowledge you have"

So are you saying that edel sold there mold to china....

Are you insane, are you?

Spicer is selling there molds too?
ARB ? AAM, the other gear companies.....

No, scumbags here take 2 of what they want copied send it to china, they cut the 2 pieces up and copy them poorly and then you people screw the company that does the hard work and research, and then come up with some pee brained idea so you can sleep at night like a good fool story like you just printed about edel selling there molds....

:tool: :violent1: :roll:

The blatant copying and being able to get away with it do to bs with litigation between the US and china is why it exists...

So are you saying that edel sold there mold to china....
QUOTE]

I saw the ads for an Edelbrock Air Gap manifold in March or April (can't remember the year) and I tried to buy one then, and none were avilable yet. I waited 3 or 4 months, and finally called Edelbrock to see what the delay was, and was told that they (Edelbrock) was having production problems related to casting.

In the meantime, the Crosswind became available, and I really needed a manifold, so, since the Edelbrock (which was what I really wanted) still could not be purchased anywhere, I bought the Chinese manifold. It went on a centrifugally-supercharged engine, and I have experienced zero problems with it for as long as I've had it.

I don't like buying foreign products, and would surely have bought the Edelbrock, given the chance, but this turned out okay, considering the circumstances.

-
Back