are things really that overpriced these days?

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1970-Dodge-Dart-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ434441295

1970 440 DODGE DART SWINGER

-Always garaged.
-Hemi orange with metallic
-Original 4 speed std. with 83/4" Posi.
-Original Blk. interior with bucket seats
-Excellent rust free restored body
-58,000 miles
-Many new parts. Flow masters, ceramic headers, holly high performance 850cfm carb., aluminum intake, clutch and pressure plate etc etc...

This is a classic mopar muscle car.

Price $20,000. Will consider trades

----------------------------------------

I don't think its a factory bigblock car and its definatly not an E body challenger; so is it overpriced? I think its over by about $10,000

If the paint work is good and mechanicals checked out, I dont think the price is that outta line.

It looks great,If it looks this good in person not overpriced at all.

Can you build a pretty nice big block, 4 speed car with nice paint and interior for that?

I don't think it's too far off base if it's nice and the conversion was done well.

thing is this is NS were they spread salt like no tomorrow and there is salt in the air; the topside is re-painted; wonder what the underside looks like and what it looked like before paint

Yes
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1970-dodge-dart-sedan-w0qqadidz434441295

1970 440 dodge dart swinger

-always garaged.
-hemi orange with metallic
-original 4 speed std. With 83/4" posi.
-original blk. Interior with bucket seats
-excellent rust free restored body
-58,000 miles
-many new parts. Flow masters, ceramic headers, holly high performance 850cfm carb., aluminum intake, clutch and pressure plate etc etc...

this is a classic mopar muscle car.

price $20,000. Will consider trades

----------------------------------------

i don't think its a factory bigblock car and its definatly not an e body challenger; so is it overpriced? I think its over by about $10,000

Here's how I see things, (sometimes). Can I build it for that price? It depends on what you have in the parts stash, what your skill set is, and the quality of friends/ fellow Mopar people you know locally (someone to lend a hand with a wrench, sell/ give you a part, barter for bodywork, paint your car for cost of materials + a grand)ect. Badass car, (although I think a Dana is in order) It's worth it. Look at the cost of things. Donor car, motor/ drive-train core, rims/tires, body/ paint, suspension/ brakes, interior, and more. Hell, I have almost $5000 in my 340, and I built it, not a shop. It runs perfect, has large sacks, and will rev to over 7000 rpm, instantly (or damn near it) I built it to stay together, but will /or can i ever get my $ back out of it? Probably not. Personally, if I had 20 large, I would go a different route ( 426 Hemi crate motor for my car) He He:D ( and still have $ left over)
just my 2 pcs of non copper , worthless metal

Another thing I see (sometimes) When I want to buy something, its made of un-obtainum, If I have something to sell, (even if its a rare Harley racing bike, Vintage Mopar parts, whatever,)it seems the some folks think you can just go grab 'em at china-super low mart.
Sorry for the rant, and for getting off topic.

I wouldn't say its "way overpriced", but probably a little on the high side, especially for this time of year. Its always hard to properly determine the value of a car without seeing it in person. A car's true value is determined by only one thing....... thats what someone else is willing to pay for it!

thing is this is NS were they spread salt like no tomorrow and there is salt in the air; the topside is re-painted; wonder what the underside looks like and what it looked like before paint

Just because someone throws out a price, means it market value gospel. Look at the goofs on Craigslist posting junk for $5,000+ who are so lazy they don't move the crap stacked on filthy 4 door beaters with flat tires that hasn't run in years.

I agree on many of these so called "rust-free" cars listed in the rust belt areas with no mention they came from California, the Southwest, etc. Most people have no clue what 'rust-free' really is. In so many cases they are patched up rust buckets and most never escaped some level of prior collision damage in it's 40+ years.

At least this is a complete driver you can assess the quality of and negotiate what you think is a fair market price. If it's not, walk.

Look at the goofs on Craigslist posting junk for $5,000+ who are so lazy they don't move the crap stacked on filthy 4 door beaters with flat tires that hasn't run in years.

I thought you were referring to this one for a second, but it looks like on this one they at least moved the crap stack! EDIT: Oops, guess it's not a 4 door either. There's a different 4 door on CL too though.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3396687576.html

With that one, I was wondering if they'd at least inflate the tires for me if I gave them their $5500 asking price?!

Seems about reasonable to me. I assume the seller has a bit of room on the price for negiotiating so if you can get into it for $17-18k it's not bad.. Of course this assumes everything is as it should be - body and mechanical.
If anything these days prices are super deflated on cars. There are cars all over selling for far less than it cost to build..

Thanks Stumper, that's kinda what I was trying to say, but you did it without all of the tire spin(LOL)

I love everything about the car except the 440. Don't flame me, I just prefer small blocks. A 408 or 416 dressed to look like a stock 340 is my idea of a good time. Mid-high teens would be fair for that car, in my opinion.

Doesn't seem that far out of line if it is as advertized. All it takes is someone who sees this as their dream car, and they have the money to spend.

its all about timing....the right time/right person thing.bad *** little dart tho....bee a lotta fun!

Bottom line. Sellers usually want as much as they can get. (normal right?) But if they want to sell they'll take what they can get, almost always less than asking.

the thing is this is only a small province and these cars are never as they seem around here unless its brought up from southern US

I have seen 4 door darts advertised at $12,000 here before; nothing sells because your can buy better state side cheaper and not have a bondo buggy

seems like a very nice car but the market won't support that price

Ya never know. I see a few threads on here about "hi priced" and have wondered, earlier, about some of 'em "could I" have built that for that amount of money?

My own car, if I ever can afford to paint it will HAVE to be stripped, and "something" done with front/ rear glass and door seals. For me, for now, it's just a driver, but I can see another 5-6K just to do that much.

It almost seems like some of us never want to see our car's value go up, why is that?

If I tell you what I turned down for my 64 Signet, many here would heart attacks. And to top it off I get offers like that a lot. My Signet is not and never will be for sale.

It would be overpriced for this area: So Cal

But I know stuff in Canada goes for a lot more. Especially if it really is rust free.

Really there isn't enough good pictures and info to tell how overpriced it is. It may be an original 340 4spd 1970 Swinger with a 440 transplanted in it. It actually sounds like it. You will have to ask for the vin and fender tag info (no tag in photo). That will change things.

But there are clues in the picture that car wasn't that nice to start with.

Like the door panels and door handles are off a 1967 Dart. Does a 58K mile car that's always been garaged need door panels? Shows the effort and care put toward the rest of the car.

Car has been fully repainted in engine compartment and jambs. Hood latches painted over, missing all the window washer equiptment, 71 center caps in rear with 70 in front...

Enough info from the pictures to show it really needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb before purchase. As with ANY car.

I'm from Nova Scotia and I have seen many classic and muscle cars which have spent their whole lives in Nova Scotia and they are in pristine condition. Some were never winter driven and were lovingly cared for. Many back in the day were oiled yearly and today are in excellent shape. He said it was always garaged and from the look of it, it is really nice. $20,000 is not out of line for a nice A body. Why do people think good clean A bodies are cheap?

-
Back