Best way to clean the gas tank and main fuel line?

-

timk225

Reaction score
I got a 73 Duster recently that sat for many years. On the list of things to do is clean out the gas tank, which is already sitting in the trunk, and run something down the main body fuel line. Looking for suggestions. I was thinking lacquer thinner or acetone for the fuel line, and taking the tank to a local car wash and blasting it every way possible, even putting some limestone in it and shaking it all around, then rinse it out some more.

And ideas for this?

There are tank cleaning kits and tank sealers for after it’s cleaned. Replace the fuel line.

Thought about cleaning mine out, decided against it. lol. Also just replaced all the lines from tank to carb, and the pump. No reason to take chances.

IMG_9598.jpg

tanks are cheap and widely available, replace it. and do the fuel sending unit at the same time-- but keep your lock ring! the new ones are trash.

same with the fuel supply line.

ask yourself what your time is worth vs. new parts that just bolt right in. that energy is better spent elsewhere on things that either cost more or are no longer available.

Yes, I'll do some shopping for tanks and lines. I already changed the fuel pump for a new Advance Auto Parts one. Wasn't going to trust the old one to not leak gas into the oil.

But the fuel sending unit, aren't the rheostats wound wrong to make the gauge at least factory level accurate? Best source for a fuel pickup assembly, gas tank, and the sealing ring for the filler tube? I need that too. Manufacturers to get or to avoid? I see lots of cheap stuff on amazon.

Last edited:
Look over the tank. If it's not rusted inside then clean it and use it.

If it has rust then dump it.

Clean tanks with Castrol super clean and a pressure washer.

Where's the best place to find the filter strainer for in the tank, and also the sealing ring for the gas tank filler pipe?

If you have the OEM sending unit, try to find someone close to you to rebuild it. You will be better off in the long run because the aftermarket units are iffy at best.

I called a place to rebuild the sender. $350 and a 10 week backlog. Damn. Looks like I'll just order a new one, I hate to use one with that much shorter arm on it, but I guess it'll work.

Here's the sending unit I pulled out of the tank. This doesn't look right, isn't there supposed to be a strainer on there? And what about the compression fitting attachment? Whoever worked on this car years ago was a big fan of compression fittings, I took the pump to carb fuel line out completely because it not only had compression fittings with barely perceptible ridges holding the fuel filter rubber hose pieces on, but there were also 3 layers of insulation on the fuel line. A plastic cover, fiberglass insulation, and finally aluminum foil!

I took the gas tank to a local car wash, and blasted it out through the filler and sending unit holes for a good 10 minutes. I got most of the old gas smell out of it, but there's still a pretty good layer of blackness on the bottom of the tank, so as others have said, probably not worth trying to clean. A new Year One tank is $120, so I'm about to press the order button for a tank sending unit and filler tube grommet, all in one shot. $220 and the problems go away, except for unknown sending unit accuracy. Then it is on to the main under body fuel line / vent line!

Tank sender 1.jpg

Tank sender 2.jpg

Last edited:
tanks are cheap and widely available, replace it. and do the fuel sending unit at the same time-- but keep your lock ring! the new ones are trash.

same with the fuel supply line.

ask yourself what your time is worth vs. new parts that just bolt right in. that energy is better spent elsewhere on things that either cost more or are no longer available.
What he said. ^^^ He beat me to it.
@timk225 Eastwood sells a kit that will coat the inside of the tank after you clean it out following the kit's instructions. It will take you an afternoon. I would only consider that if your tank is in pretty good shape. In the long run, I would do a Google search to find the best price in a new tank. While you are at it, buy the new insulation pad that goes on top. I bought a new sending unit from Classic Industries, and it worked fine.
I realize that different people have different budgets. I really do. If you can afford a new tank, fuel line and sending unit, that is what I would do. Keep the old sending unit just in case.

-
Back