Biohazard

-
Holy crap! 1,000th post in the Biohazard thread!!

Okay, so anyway: more pics.

This is not exactly how the factory did it. They didn't tape anything off so all the edges should be fuzzy. But for all the details I really care about, this isn't one of them.

Also hit the little chin support where it would show from under the bumper.

Free hand looks just fine and overspray.

It's just a personal thing.

Keep moving forward!

Also hit the little chin support where it would show from under the bumper.

I think the little recessed area in the lower valence on each side should also be blacked out. I have seen so many that have not been I wonder, but I am told that is correct.

Like this car:

Attachments

• joe cuda1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 590
In all honesty, I keep thinking the same thing every time I look at the front of the car. Its something I'll dig a little deeper into to be sure but it is also something not critical to do at this moment since it doesn't require having anything else out of the way to paint it. But yeah, sharp eye and definitely a good point. I keep thinking it would look better blacked out whether it's correct or not.

Okay, some quick research done and I'm going with that the factory did not paint those strips black. I still may paint mine but....no, the factory didn't. So sez I.

Dan,

I found plenty of proof they did depending on the body color. Here are a few.

First a 68 Notch original owner never been repainted he claims.

Second a 69 Vert download the pic and look closely.

Third what I did.

Dont be so precise if you want it like the factory did.

Attachments

• 024 up.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 483
  • 20140919_092808.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 471
  • IMGP1952.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 454
  • IMGP1950.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 490
It seems there is anecdotal evidence to support both. I wonder what the code is on this.
I do still intend to blacken mine FWIW.

Gerald's pics have vanished. :(

So here's some of what I found:
Gold front end I am personally familiar with - all original junkyard front clip didn't look like it had ever seen a paint gun. I zoomed way in and can't find any black paint on the areas in question.

Here is another car which had never been repainted (or so I thought?) but it only makes things more confusing. Black on one side but not the other.

Cool '85 Nighthawk S in the background ;)

Radiator back from the blaster with props to "A Blast from the Past" in Bernalillo!

Shoulda done 'before' photos.

Dan,

That paint on the valence is lightly done and seems it could easily have been washed off over the years! That most likely explains one side and not the other.

I have been helping a guy and his 69 B5 RoadRunner that swore his core support was never blacked out from the factory (Original Owner)! He hit a tree in 71 and had to have the core support replaced but still had the original. He pulled it out of its hiding place and there was the black. At first he said it was dirt, then looked closer and saw it was paint! Very thin paint!! He is now rethinking and will likely get out some paint. This car is # 13 off the Lynch road line and a Hemi super track pac 4spd car. To important to not get correct for him.

I think someone was in a pit on the line and just free hand sprayed them and probably had a mask for the valences.

Well, I'm just not sure now. But, I see mine getting painted since it looks better and isn't difficult to do at all. I have a 69 sales brochure hidden in a box somewhere - maybe I can find a suitable photo that reveals all. It's been a real busy week and pursuing research on this
has taken a low priority position.

A review of some sales lit posted on eBay indicates darkened out recesses on the valences.
Great discussion, Gerald!

Its a '68 but most pictures from the sales lit didn't show the valence well at all. There's no rational call for them to have stopped spraying the recess for the last model year run but if I can find better pics of a '69, I'll post them, too.

Go for it.

Here is what I used and Le used to spray my core support.

It lays down like silk and super flat sheen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 461
Gerald, I did use engine enamel but I opted for the VHT brand.
On that note, all the painting is complete, all the lines are hooked back up, and there's no leaks so far. I just left the auto parts store with a brand-new radiator cap as well. I did reinstall everything using the Spring clamps and so far so good. The whole system has been filled up with water from the reverse osmosis tap and I need to run the engine to pressurize the system and check for leaks under pressure.

Started her up with a fully functioning cooling system. Still have the slightest drip from the lower neck :( Otherwise, it heated up and held pressure just fine.
Car ran well from a cold start but, after warming up, quit running and refused to start again without a shot of starting fluid. Decided to quit before burning up the starter.

Since I was having such a hard time getting her to start on her own, I thought filling the tank with fresh petrol wouldn't hurt. By doing this, I discovered how rotted-out my filler neck grommet was when I created a lovely cascade of gasoline pouring out from under the back of the car onto the garage floor. Of course, I had to kick the ol' girl out of the house, into the driveway again.
-Got a new grommet coming and it looks like someone already drilled out the tamper screws for the flip-cap and put phillips heads in there. Finally! A break!

At least you found that now instead of driving down the road and having a fireball out the back!!!! :protest: After all that work..:wack:

What's disappointing is that the tank had been replaced...and likely not too long ago. So I find it odd that the grommet wasn't replaced then (or is there even one in there?) Gas poured out of it like there was nothing holding it back. Oh well, I have a new grommet on order.

For spring clamp pliers, stop in at you local NAPA and buy a K-D brand of them.
I have a set I bought years ago and they are the best I have ever used.

Bought a better looking plier set from pep boys. OEM brand, I believe. They're better but still not great. Also just bought a remote start switch to make my life a little easier while trying to get the mill to start like it should.

Car still sitting outside. I really need to install the headliner so I can put the windshield in and make the car a bit more rain-resistant.

-
Back