Borgeson Steering Box

-

71Duster

Reaction score
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143

Has anyone tried it? I've read a bit on the forum and it all sounds good. Most guys ***** about price but from my stand point of ordering one from firm feel and converting from manual steering needing the hoses and to do somthing with my steering column this isn't too far out.

I had a stage 2 firm feel in my Duster it was way better then stock but wasn't what I wanted. I've looked around on the B body forum as this is form my 67 Belvedere with a 440 and no ones running one over there yet.

Thoughts?

Have not tried one, I wish someone would.

I'd like some size comparisons between it and the stock manual box and the stock PS box. I'm hoping that it is the same size or smaller than the stock manual box so that I can run power steering on my 6.1L Hemi conversion.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

$750 for the box and $130 for the adapter. Way to much for me.

$330 for the firm feel box
$175 for core charge
$50 roughly in shipping last time
$30 new power steering lines $90 flaming river u-joint adapter

$675 to go that route and as I understand it NO ONE builds new gears for inside the chuck so all the rebuilds are using good but all be it used gears inside not new and still a slower ratio. So again price aside as I said actually looking to see who's used one or seen one in action. I've seen someone on the site selling these boxes through his company with hoses and couupler for about $800 shipped.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on one soon. I'll report back picture by picture, detail by detail.

Might get some other people I know to drive the car before and after to give their impressions of the box.

I wanna see this too. IMO the big heavy steering box is the only thing i don't like about the mopar's stock steering.

I wanna see this too. IMO the big heavy steering box is the only thing i don't like about the mopar's stock steering.

This one has a quicker 14:1 ratio that modern car typically use and it's supposed to be more precise too.

We'll see. :burnout:

The U-joint couplers and their lack of provision for body flex has always bothered me.

The 14:1 offered by the Borgeson isn't that great, since factory was only 16:1. I doubt that you'd even notice the difference unless you're autocrossing it and then it'd have to be a pretty tight track. Really, the manual steering cars (well, the bulk of them) were 32:1. Is a 13% difference worth that kind of coin?

Between shimming the pump and your choice of Firm Feel boxes (which I have and will always highly endorse), you're getting nearly the same ratio for half the price and you can tailor it perfectly to your driving needs (Why pay the core fee? Go digging in your couch cushions and you'll probably find a Mopar steering box in there that you can send in). Buy a new column at $150 and you're up a couple hundred, regardless.

It's not explicitly stated on the website, but I believe that Firm Feel has 16:1 manual boxes available, too. Either way, 16:1 versus 14:1 is not much of a difference to the average driver.

$330 for the firm feel box
$175 for core charge
$50 roughly in shipping last time
$30 new power steering lines $90 flaming river u-joint adapter

$675 to go that route and as I understand it NO ONE builds new gears for inside the chuck so all the rebuilds are using good but all be it used gears inside not new and still a slower ratio. So again price aside as I said actually looking to see who's used one or seen one in action. I've seen someone on the site selling these boxes through his company with hoses and couupler for about $800 shipped.

the $175 core gets returned when you turn your old one in. even if you don't have an old one you should be able to find one for free ot at least dirt cheap to send back and get rid of that $175, so in reality it should be down around $500, less if you don't need th FR adapter and new lines.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143

Has anyone tried it? I've read a bit on the forum and it all sounds good. Most guys ***** about price but from my stand point of ordering one from firm feel and converting from manual steering needing the hoses and to do somthing with my steering column this isn't too far out.

I had a stage 2 firm feel in my Duster it was way better then stock but wasn't what I wanted. I've looked around on the B body forum as this is form my 67 Belvedere with a 440 and no ones running one over there yet.

Thoughts?

i think pete (GMachineDartGT) is running one of those boxes. maybe pm him and ask him about it.. haven't seen him here too much lately.. may be busy with his new business..

I have one coming my way.
Would've expected it to have arrived already.

I haven't decided yet what to do with the coupler. $130 for a simple u-joint is pretty stiff in my book.

the $175 core gets returned when you turn your old one in. even if you don't have an old one you should be able to find one for free ot at least dirt cheap to send back and get rid of that $175, so in reality it should be down around $500, less if you don't need th FR adapter and new lines.

Yup, my lines are fine and you dont need the u-joint with the adapter with the stock box. But Im also building mpre of a stock cruiser then a corner carver.

But if you want to add those then you need to add the price of new lines and shipping to the borgeson box too

I understand how the core works but being in Canada with $50 plus on shipping and whatever I score an old power chuck for almost makes it a wash

I have manual steering so I need the hoses and the adapter I see usually goes power to manual. I always hated the stock style couplers when headers where added to to equation. Easier to cut the longer power steering shaft down then it will be to score a new one for a 67 b-body

I got one of the first boxes and would love to rave about it, but I am months away from driving it. As for the coupler, there is no comparison. It's way heavy duty and smooth with the correct needle bearings to allow for a nice tight angle against the body. U-joint couplers would and could be a concern with body on frame mounting where flex is a concern, but the precise nature of the design is what we want when comparing to the slop Chrysler built in their product. The Delphi box is from a late model GM with an adaption for the Chrysler idler arms. Even if the ratio is not what people want 14:1 is an improvement of the 16:1. The clearance is also a better. I attached some pics for reference. I also think header clearance would be better too.

Attachments

• Duster Steering_004.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Duster Steering_007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Duster Steering_008.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,447
  • Duster Steering_006.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Duster Steering_005.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,357
How much heavier is the steel Flaming River case vs the Ma Mopar case?

The steering box on my drag Demon is smooth on the sides of the travel but loose and rough in the center of the travel. My guess is the car has done too many wheelies (needs bushings on the UCA and LCA too.

Just talked with Borgeson. They rebuild stock manual boxes and charge 4390 for a rebuilt box. They also will buy your old one for $75. Problem is the used ones are getting hard to find and they are out of rebuilt units right now.

They suggested trying Redhead steering boxes.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/re-manufacturing.html

Redhead sells a rebuilt unit (24-1) for $246 and they have a $125 core charge.

Ehrenberg just did an article on this PS box in the most recent issue of Mopar Action. They use remanufactured Grand Cherokee boxes for cores and remachine the shaft for use in 62 and up Mopars. It's much smaller and lighter than the old style PS box. Thre is a lot more room for headers/exhaust. His biggest complaint was the loss of the slip-spline action with the steering column but I believe they redid the coupling to fix that. (there is movement between the K member and the steering shaft while driving)

I see the Borgeson site talks about a new Mopar manual box that isn't released yet. Competition for the Flaming River one I guess.

Mopar Action has a good write up in the April 2013. I like their solution to the steering column joint so you don't have to cut your steering shaft. I want one too.

I did the install on this months ago and reported it here. I got ripped all over Moparts... As soon as my site is done, I will advertise here as a vendor. I have been selling these and installing them. I also have made an adapter coupler like Rick suggested to elimate cutting the column. PM if interested.

-
Back