Bostonian 71 demon

-
These were the parts we dreamed about reading Hot Rod and Car Craft in the high school library...well, at least when we went in there.

Getting ready to get my 71 demon called the Bostonian back up and ready to go racing in the super gas category and NHRA and the nostalgia modified eliminator classes in AHRA. As it sits the car will do high 9s.

So the car is a 1971 Dodge Demon built period correct for the early '70s it's got a 15:1 398ci small block Doug Nash 4 + 1 leaf spring ladder bars and that every period trick I could come up with. It will not be using any throttle stops or any electronics other than a standard MSD box with one rev limiter to save the motor otherwise straightforward nostalgia technology.

With that being said hopefully you guys dig my trial and error process as try to get back in the swing of things especially being a young guy sticking my head back up out of the foxhole

View attachment 1715761255

View attachment 1715761256

View attachment 1715761258

View attachment 1715761260

View attachment 1715761261

View attachment 1715761262
Is that a Mustang gas tank? I'm considering using one in my 71 Demon

Wait... what?

Can't just casually drop something like that and not elaborate on it at all.

Details and several pictures please.
Yes sir This week they should be back in the shop and are going to dig it out and send some pic's (he joked from his flip phone) but once its a sealed deal it will get dropped shipped to liberty most likely to be machined and have my transmissions guts retro fitted. Its my busy season for work again with all the events they got us at LS fest this week but he told me its as good as mine so im stoked

Is that a Mustang gas tank? I'm considering using one in my 71 Demon
Yes im actually going to get rid of this one (no issues) just going to section one for smaller capacity and weight. As well as the fill will be in the trunk now with the filler being shaved

With the aluminum inner fenders ,what is going to help strengthen the frame rails to carry the load of the torque from the solid mounted engine plate? Very nice work, I love the car !

Yes im actually going to get rid of this one (no issues) just going to section one for smaller capacity and weight. As well as the fill will be in the trunk now with the filler being shaved
What year Mustang is it for? I'm seriously considering doing the same. It looks cleaner. And mine isn't a show or drag car. So I'm not concerned with originality or weight. Thanks ,Mike

This Labor Day weekend wasn't as productive as I wish it was. Between looking at land to buy and build our house and shop and the C10 having a couple small things come up after a lot of driving. I managed to make all the patches for the firewall and cowl now to weld it up. Made up the fillers for the bottom of the vintage elephant ears to square the engine up in the chassis for mounting. Then decided to check the hight on the tunnel ram before sticking it in the cabinet to blast so I can make the mag finish uniform. I also finalized the steering column and shaft assembly so I can weld in a support. Plus the big block clutch linkage came in, figure this is a better start and modify from there vs making 100% from scratch.

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2368.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg

Image 11.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

With the aluminum inner fenders ,what is going to help strengthen the frame rails to carry the load of the torque from the solid mounted engine plate? Very nice work, I love the car !

The down bars, that will be installed once the spaces from the old shock mounts are boxed in. The down bars will be tied to the top of the coil-over mounts, as well as to the cage and firewall. Additionally, a 1" diameter bar will be hidden under the dash, tying both sides together and attaching to the firewall. This will allow for the mounting of the mid-plate hoop, which will be connected to the frame rails, effectively integrating the engine into the chassis structure. This setup will support the entire front end of the car, tying it all together. The core support and fender supports will hold only the fiberglass.

This week they should be back in the shop and are going to dig it out and send some pic's
"They"???

I'm really curious about this piece and it's history. It's also sort of astounding that in Sept. of 2024 you were able to locate one and had the opportnity buy it.

I imagine someone like Ted Spehar or Sox would have had access to something like that when they were actively racing but even in '70-'71 before they went to Lencos there couldn't have been many of these cases available for non-factory supported racers.

Looking forward to seeing this thing either way.

"They"???

I'm really curious about this piece and it's history. It's also sort of astounding that in Sept. of 2024 you were able to locate one and had the opportnity buy it.

I imagine someone like Ted Spehar or Sox would have had access to something like that when they were actively racing but even in '70-'71 before they went to Lencos there couldn't have been many of these cases available for non-factory supported racers.

Looking forward to seeing this thing either way.
I don't want to name drop as its who is. They are still kinda active but doesn't flaunt all they have so I'm being respectful as you know (blood in the water lol). But they are an old racer with pro ties from the day that I was introduced too through from another retired northeastern racer that my dad still see's once a week and has coffee with. As you know sometimes it's just word of mouth. I was told in my phone conversation it was one of a handful made for Chrysler racers in the day. It was bought to be run in "Play Thing" then changed hands a couple of times making its way to this guy, in his words as he's a racer says " he doesn't want to see old race parts go to a Carlisle collector and rather see them used" his opinion isn't always the most popular but why he keeps his mouth shut about what he has and seldomly cuts it loose. I've been just fortunate enough buy these old parts when offered with the intention to run them. Currently I'm working a deal on a Mag Ramchargers dana 60 as well that I will most likely run. The mag tunnel ram was a NOS piece that was in a Butch Leal addressed weiand box when I first got it prior to cutting it up and soon sending to Wilson for porting. Im just lucky the wife understanding. Plus it helps talking with so many guys within the industry you find stuff and someone always knows someone else.

-
Back