CAM HELP NEEDED!

-

spd691

Reaction score
Ill try to keep it short. The car is a Dodge Dart Sport 340. I'm doing a refresh on my 340 (1969 engine), here is how its going together. 340 bored .030, zero decked, closed chambered SM heads .03 head gasket. I have a Holly Strip Dominator intake with a Barry Grant 750 DP. Looking for a dual plane now. Crane 1.6 roller adjustable rockers. The block combo should yield a static compression ratio of about 10 to 1. The car is roughly 3700 LBS, 4 speed, 355 gears, tires have yet to be decided. I decided to use a Hughes Engine cam and lifter set. I sent the information to Hughes and the recommendation I got was the SEH 3236AL8. I called to order it, they said they didn't have it and don't know when it will be in. I was told they just received some today and to call back Wednesday to see if one arrived. This car will be a street cruiser, car shows and the like, maybe a few trips down the strip, its close by. Anybody have any recommendations if they don't have the one recommended. No power brakes... Thanks guys.
1711413417131.png

Looks good from here. If they don’t get the cam, contact Howard’s for a cam.

Ill try to keep it short. The car is a Dodge Dart Sport 340. I'm doing a refresh on my 340 (1969 engine), here is how its going together. 340 bored .030, zero decked, closed chambered SM heads .03 head gasket. I have a Holly Strip Dominator intake with a Barry Grant 750 DP. Looking for a dual plane now. Crane 1.6 roller adjustable rockers. The block combo should yield a static compression ratio of about 10 to 1. The car is roughly 3700 LBS, 4 speed, 355 gears, tires have yet to be decided. I decided to use a Hughes Engine cam and lifter set. I sent the information to Hughes and the recommendation I got was the SEH 3236AL8. I called to order it, they said they didn't have it and don't know when it will be in. I was told they just received some today and to call back Wednesday to see if one arrived. This car will be a street cruiser, car shows and the like, maybe a few trips down the strip, its close by. Anybody have any recommendations if they don't have the one recommended. No power brakes... Thanks guys.
View attachment 1716226988
If you like their recommendation, just buy a similar spec cam that available from another company.
It doesn't have to be identical.

that is a whole bunch of lift for a street cruiser. it'll mos def be stout.

sure ain't gonna be skipping leg day driving that though, rowin' some gears for sure.

If you like their recommendation, just buy a similar spec cam that available from another company.
It doesn't have to be identical.
I have been looking. With the 108 LSA and the duration @50 with this lift combo it's a it of an odd duck.

I have been looking. With the 108 LSA and the duration @50 with this lift combo it's a it of an odd duck.
You might have to make some compromises if you want now from what's available.

Going from 108 to 110 might lose you 5-10+ lbs-ft, it all steps in performance the further you stray the further the change in tq and hp. Duration should be easy to get a little less lift and lsa gonna cost a bit but is not gonna be crazy differences. See what what's available around those specs post them and maybe we can help narrow the choices down.

yeah, especially with that narrow of an LSA

upthread rumblefish mentioned Howard's as a possible source and i'll second that. they seem to make a lot of big solid rollers so there might be something in their catalog that's close, or nearly identical to what you're looking for.

fwiw, i've used howard's for a few motors and was pleased with the product.

I don't like living on the edge for a street cam. STREET. STREET. STREET. But it's your decision. Good luck with it!

Hughes prides themselves on using "REAL CHRYSLER" fast-ramp cams (high lift for a given duration) which do give more performance but at the cost of valvetrain longevity (mainly springs and lifters). A buddy of mine used one of their hydraulic flat-tappet cams in the SBM in his Ramcharger truck and it ate a lifter once during break-in and then again about a year after break-in. He followed Hughes' instructions to a T and when he called them for a replacement the second time it went bad they basically told him it was his fault and to go pound sand. I personally wouldn't buy anything from them unless you don't mind having no customer service. Plenty of other horror stories if you search around a bit.

Better IMO to call up one of the smaller outfits like Schneider, Bullet, Racer Brown etc. and get something from them. Or pretty much anyone besides Hughes.

Hey, did some homework for you.
Call Howard and ask to adjust the 110 to a 108. Comp cams did it for me.

Specs close enough? (Link at the bottom.)
Lift: .531 / .547, Duration @ .050: 230 / 236, Centerline: 106, Lopey idle, Strong mid-range, Good throttle response, 2400+ stall converter.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Basic RPM Range: 2600 to 6200
Valve Lift Intake .531 (1.6 - .566)
Valve Lift Exhaust .547 (1.6 - .583)
Duration Intake 277
Duration Exhaust: 283
Duration at 050 Intake: 230
Duration at 050 Exhaust: 236
Lobe Separation 110 Intake Centerline 106

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 2600 to 6200 Howards Cams 710581-10 | Howards Cams

I want to express that your car is heavy at 3700lbs.
I would make use of the RPM-AG and with some EZ DIY porting as far up as you can get it done.

Last edited:
Lose a little lift
Unless there’s a v-p contact/clearance issue, why? He is using every last bit of cylinder head flow he paid for to abstract all the power potential the cylinder head offers.

TBH, I was thinking this cam is a bit much for what I'm doing. I think I need to tone it down a bit. The real questions are where? Lift, duration, LSA?
Hey, did some homework for you.
Call Howard and ask to adjust the 110 to a 108. Comp cams did it for me.

Specs close enough? (Link at the bottom.)
Lift: .531 / .547, Duration @ .050: 230 / 236, Centerline: 106, Lopey idle, Strong mid-range, Good throttle response, 2400+ stall converter.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Basic RPM Range: 2600 to 6200
Valve Lift Intake .531 (1.6 - .566)
Valve Lift Exhaust .547 (1.6 - .583)
Duration Intake 277
Duration Exhaust: 283
Duration at 050 Intake: 230
Duration at 050 Exhaust: 236
Lobe Separation 110 Intake Centerline 106

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 2600 to 6200 Howards Cams 710581-10 | Howards Cams

I want to express that your car is heavy at 3700lbs.
I would make use of the RPM-AG and with some EZ DIY porting as far up as you can get it done.

TBH, I was thinking this cam is a bit much for what I'm doing. I think I need to tone it down a bit. The real questions are where? Lift, duration, LSA?
If it were I doing a cam for the combo, it would be a 224@050 intake duration max. Lift would be as high as the head flows or close to it. The LSA would be on a 108.

What I could live without? I could live EZ with a 110 and less lift if I could ‘t find the cam on the shelf fitting exactly what I just said. It’s not the end of the world. Ordering a custom cam is EZ.

The better the cylinder heads flow the more HP is returned if the lift is taking advantage of the available port flow.

I’ve used the Rhodes lifters before. Target the best cam for the job before using them. They’re very good lifters. They are of part of the plan for me.

Below is the cam I use in the wife’s Barracuda w/a 360/904/3.55 on 26” tires with 1.6 rockers on top of TF heads and a RPM & TTI exhaust.

The cam happens to be a Hyd. roller.

IMG_0668.jpeg

If it were I doing a cam for the combo, it would be a 224@050 intake duration max. Lift would be as high as the head flows or close to it. The LSA would be on a 108.

What I could live without? I could live EZ with a 110 and less lift if I could ‘t find the cam on the shelf fitting exactly what I just said. It’s not the end of the world. Ordering a custom cam is EZ.

The better the cylinder heads flow the more HP is returned if the lift is taking advantage of the available port flow.

I’ve used the Rhodes lifters before. Target the best cam for the job before using them. They’re very good lifters. They are of part of the plan for me.

Below is the cam I use in the wife’s Barracuda w/a 360/904/3.55 on 26” tires with 1.6 rockers on top of TF heads and a RPM & TTI exhaust.

View attachment 1716227172
Hey rumble,
Is the ABDC spec for roller cams always measured at .050? In the comp card above it shows 38, and searching others on their website always seem to show a ABDC number in the 30's verses the 50/60 for a flat tappet hydraulic. Always wondered about this.

View attachment 1716227172
I was on the Howards site and found this, 710991-08
710991-08
Year:
 1964 - 2003
Make:
 Chrysler

Engine:
 273, 340, 360

Camshaft Type:
 Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Basic RPM Range:
 1800 to 5800
Valve Lift Intake:
Valve Lift Exhaust:
Duration Intake:
Duration Exhaust:
Duration at 050 Intake:
Duration at 050 Exhaust:
Lobe Separation:
Intake Centerline:
Firing Order:
 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Quantity:
 1 Each
Country Of Origin:
United States

I was on the Howards site and found this, 710991-08
710991-08
Year:
 1964 - 2003
Make:
 Chrysler

Engine:
 273, 340, 360

Camshaft Type:
 Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Basic RPM Range:
 1800 to 5800
Valve Lift Intake:
Valve Lift Exhaust:
Duration Intake:
Duration Exhaust:
Duration at 050 Intake:
Duration at 050 Exhaust:
Lobe Separation:
Intake Centerline:
Firing Order:
 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Quantity:
 1 Each
Country Of Origin:
United States
That would work.

I know we’re talking cams here but what’s your thoughts on zero deck, .03 Head gasket and closed chamber heads?

I know we’re talking cams here but what’s your thoughts on zero deck, .03 Head gasket and closed chamber heads?
Measure and compute compression to make sure it's not too much. Then take the cam specs and check for valve to piston clearance.

Hey rumble,
Is the ABDC spec for roller cams always measured at .050? In the comp card above it shows 38, and searching others on their website always seem to show a ABDC number in the 30's verses the 50/60 for a flat tappet hydraulic. Always wondered about this.
This has me wondering as well. The cam companies do things I don’t always understand and wonder why they supply what is ether a lot of info or not a lot of info.

Why they do what they do is a mystery to me.
.030 clearance? Factory did less. IMO, that’s fine. It helps create a good agency area.

-
Back