Can i fix this at home?

-

65rbdodge

Reaction score
Someone gave me this 440, I tore it down yesterday and pressure washed it. I found this under all the grease
1000021775.jpg

Probably not, unless you are really proficient at cast iron welding. Unless it's a rare block or it's the numbers matching block for your car, I'd shop around for another usable block.

We just fixed the same break. Spray weld new metal in and machine the surface then drill and tap the hole.

You could also weld the broken piece back in. We used Certanium rods to weld block ears back on. First pass looks terrible ,Second pass it cleans right up. We are located in North east Pa. SK Machine

You could braze it back together if you have the busted off ear, but OMM may be your best bet.

We just fixed the same break. Spray weld new metal in and machine the surface then drill and tap the hole.

You could also weld the broken piece back in. We used Certanium rods to weld block ears back on. First pass looks terrible ,Second pass it cleans right up. We are located in North east Pa. SK Machine
What did you charge for a repair like that?

The block will have to be cooked in an oven, shot blasted and then spray welded. surfaced, drilled, and threaded in a mill. $150 to $200 . I'll have my son send pictures .

This block was cooked The glyptal was put on before any machine work is done. The welds are trusted enough to add cross bolt mains to this block.

100_0057.JPG

100_0058.JPG

100_0059.JPG

100_0060.JPG

100_0074 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I'll probably just put it I the corner of the garage with the other blocks, If i ever need it I'll get it fixed, have quite a few blocks that dont need repair in line before this one

That part of the block is very rigid. So is the cast iron pump hsg. I would try using it with just the two bolts, I think it would seal ok.

See a lot of them broke off. It is from not being able to get the rusty bolt out behind the heater hose nipple when disassembling. They get all the bolts out except that one and try to break the bolt by prying the housing off. But the bolt is usually stronger then the block. Steve also fills in stripped holes and re threads them. I noticed there an oil pan bolt welded in the block above .

Mad mike it must be you cars near the restroom at carlisle. I see them every year when I go.for a shower in the morning. I haven't missed a year since 1991

The block will have to be cooked in an oven, shot blasted and then spray welded. surfaced, drilled, and threaded in a mill. $150 to $200 . I'll have my son send pictures .

This block was cooked The glyptal was put on before any machine work is done. The welds are trusted enough to add cross bolt mains to this block.

View attachment 1716292241

View attachment 1716292242

View attachment 1716292243

View attachment 1716292244

View attachment 1716292247
I would shudder to think what a repair like that would cost in Canada. I paid $250 to have a 1/2 inch crack in a cast manifold welded. Great work by the way :thumbsup:

Hey 65 what makes you say that. I was being nice not here to put anybody down. As far as I'm concerned, any broken block is nothing more than a boat anchor. I would get another block period. Thats just me, there are plenty of people who would trust a welded block, and I will always support them. My blocks produce too much HP to be using a welded anything. My customers trust my judgement and my honesty. I guess I parked my cars next to yours at Carlisle.:rofl:

To 65, A lot of friends I have say good things about you, I was hoping one day to meet you. Thats why I don't understand your comment. I'll wait for your explanation. I'm not a nasty disrespectful person unless somebody goes too far insulting me or others. I am very passionate when it comes to my degree in engineering and the respect to all people. Sometimes I get so pissed when people put down others my mouth gets overridden by my ASSHOLE and I'll say stupid ****. For that I will apologize to all I have offended. You would probably love my machine shop, I do all my own work, milling, boring, hot tank line boring, porting and polishing. I have built many BIG hp motors for the local boys who love to race. The sad part is they like street racing, I guess because of street outlaws. I believe racing is for the track not the street but, that's just me. I lost my brother in a street race many years ago. My passion however lives on strong and in his memory. So, if the block in question can be repaired and the one who owns it is ok with it, I say go for it and good luck. I just wouldn't do it.

To 65, A lot of friends I have say good things about you, I was hoping one day to meet you. Thats why I don't understand your comment. I'll wait for your explanation. I'm not a nasty disrespectful person unless somebody goes too far insulting me or others. I am very passionate when it comes to my degree in engineering and the respect to all people. Sometimes I get so pissed when people put down others my mouth gets overridden by my ASSHOLE and I'll say stupid ****. For that I will apologize to all I have offended. You would probably love my machine shop, I do all my own work, milling, boring, hot tank line boring, porting and polishing. I have built many BIG hp motors for the local boys who love to race. The sad part is they like street racing, I guess because of street outlaws. I believe racing is for the track not the street but, that's just me. I lost my brother in a street race many years ago. My passion however lives on strong and in his memory. So, if the block in question can be repaired and the one who owns it is ok with it, I say go for it and good luck. I just wouldn't do it.

I had to Mapquest Covington pa to see what area you were from. 225 miles away.

Yes, that is about right, I've read some of your posts about your times and runs. I must say I am very impressed with your runs. But I still would not build you a motor with a repaired block. No offense to you it's more of a safety factor. I wouldn't feel I did my job right if something where to go wrong. We as racers and builders have lost enough great people in Ower sport both men and women.

Yes, that is about right, I've read some of your posts about your times and runs. I must say I am very impressed with your runs. But I still would not build you a motor with a repaired block. No offense to you it's more of a safety factor. I wouldn't feel I did my job right if something where to go wrong. We as racers and builders have lost enough great people in Ower sport both men and women.

I’ve welded between the cylinders with success on cast iron heads and blocks but that’s a different story. I sold my last 440 block last year that was a 68 or 70 HP block and the previous owner pulled the engine with a high lift with the motor mounts still connected. It ripped the mount off ant tore a small hole (1 1/4 inch) in the block. If I was still running stock blocks I would have repaired that as I use a motor plate. Sold it for 25 or 50.00 to get it out of here.

I would shudder to think what a repair like that would cost in Canada. I paid $250 to have a 1/2 inch crack in a cast manifold welded. Great work by the way :thumbsup:
The last time I priced out cast iron welding (when I worked industrial) it was $500 and that was 20 years ago.

Sometimes and in certain situations I guess if the repair is done right, it would more than likely be ok. I just don't trust them in high hp motors. Of course, there can be times when it's for a normal engine [daily driver] with a rare motor it might be the best thing to do. I would not discourage anyone from trying it and would offer any help I could. 30 years ago, I tried to repair some cast pieces for a frame machine for a friend's body shop. I heated the parts with oxy-actalean and Mig welded the parts, they only lasted 2 weeks then broke at the weld points. I guess welding cast has come a long way since then. I am by no means a professional welder.

Hey mad mike, not sure what I said that could have been offensive, I was just putting together your user name and the name on a cool car that I've been seeing for many years at carlisle. I think you had a truck there too?

Hey mad mike, not sure what I said that could have been offensive, I was just putting together your user name and the name on a cool car that I've been seeing for many years at carlisle. I think you had a truck there too?
LOL......Probably his car parked by the ****-house was taken as an insult. I thought it was funny. Following this thread to see where it goes.....I guess I'm just bored :rolleyes: waiting for my car to be done in the paint booth:thumbsup:

To 65 , My apologizes I thought you were being sarcastic and implying my car was a hunk of ****. Sorry I took it the wrong way. Please forgive me. No this year I was parked at home due to back surgery. I drive my truck down; my car would only come down in my trailer. Hopefully we can laugh about this over a beer some day. :thumbsup:

Heres something you guys might find of interest. I have a friend who spun a bearing in his jeep. #3 cylinder, I think. He bought a new motor for it and said I can have the old one for $100. Surprise its a hemi. I haven't seen it yet and don't know if I can put it in my 66 Barracuda. It is a Chrysler motor. What do you think.

It's all good mike. Gen 3 hemi? I got into them the past few years, it should fit into your barracuda. Jeep motors have the alternator that sits closer to the block, which is normally a clearance issue compared to the car motors. Trucks have the alternator on top. Small block trans. Bolt to them but you'll need a special flex plate or flywheem

-
Back