Can you ID this Mopar gearbox?

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi all

I found this gearbox for sale
The seller says that it's a 4-speed out of a Barracuda. With this offset lever, I don't think about an E-body, but rather an A-body.

Can you ID it?
:thankyou:

gearbox.jpg

gearbox2.jpg

well, it's a 66~68 inland non-console shifter and it's a standard output trans (non B&T) so that lines up. it's got a /6 bell, but that doesn't mean much.

it's 4spd and it's a-body but without the numbers the specifics are impossible to know.

Don't forget Barracudas were A bodies until 1970.

Yes, I know :) . It's why I think it's out of an A-body, because (if I'm right) E-bodies never got an offset lever.
The seller just said "Barracuda gearbox"...
It's A body, no question because of where the shifter mount is. Looks like a good score.

Had a shifter like that in my 68 Barracuda 340 Formula S in the console.

Last edited:
You are better getting the casting numbers off the tail housing and bell housing. Check out the numbers on the Brewers Performance site. I'm thinking 66 or 67 Dart, Valiant or Barracuda.

Yes, I know :) . It's why I think it's out of an A-body, because (if I'm right) E-bodies never got an offset lever.
The seller just said "Barracuda gearbox"...
E bodies and I think 70 / later B/C/ etc are instantly recognizeable because the tail has TWO shifter mount positions. E body used the rear mount, the only vehicle I think, to do so.

The other side of the trans will have or not have a flat machined pad with numbers on it. If it is a 66-67 it will not have that pad, if 68 it will, Those numbers shown don't mean much...

It's an A833?
Yes, it's an 833 four speed. It is quite possible that it is a 66-67 transmission that uses a slip yoke that is the same as a 904 automatic. 68 and up 833's used the same slip yoke as a 727 automatic. If it's for sale at a good price, you should get it. Hurst shifters will bolt right on and work fine.

:thumbsup:

If it has the small output shaft, like it would if a slanty-trans, Yur kindof stuck on how much power you can slam thru it. The rear bearing is only a 307, and the U-joint is a 7260. So, all-in-all, that's three strikes for more than a 318 2bbl.

furthermore, If yur thinking of putting it behind a V8, you'll need a different front end on that thing; everything forward of the maincase.

I know your address says South of France, so if that is all you can get, and it's for a slanty A-body, well then, that may be your only choice.

If it has the small output shaft, like it would if a slanty-trans, Yur kindof stuck on how much power you can slam thru it. The rear bearing is only a 307, and the U-joint is a 7260. So, all-in-all, that's three strikes for more than a 318 2bbl.

furthermore, If yur thinking of putting it behind a V8, you'll need a different front end on that thing; everything forward of the maincase.

I know your address says South of France, so if that is all you can get, and it's for a slanty A-body, well then, that may be your only choice.
I ran that same trans in My ex-Popo Dippy, 383, 6,500rpm shifts & 125hp shot of nitrous..with a cerametalic button clutch, & I slick-shifted the 2-3-4 synchros. It is still in one piece.

It's an A833?
Affirmative, and that's definitely the small output shaft. Most likely came out of '66-'67 'cuda, if You were on this side of the pond You'd have a market for the bellhousing &/or whole unit. As above, if it's a good price snag it. I have the same trans, My particular one has the 2.66 1st gear, I pounded on it behind My cammed 'teener in My '69 Dart for a couple of years, then for 3 years behind the 383 I dropped in the '83 Diplomat with nitrous. Killed 3 clutches & blew a u-joint, and I slick-shifted it synchro-less & clutchless shifting. I wouldn't put it behind a 440 or Hemi with large slicks, but it will take some abuse, just make sure to use solid HD U-joints w/o holes drilled in them for greasing.

Thank you all for your useful opinions...

The trans is not very pricey : 500€ complete with lever and bellhousing. Usually, here, an A833, all by itself, is sold for at least 1500€.
But I don't know if this transmission would fit my '71 slant-six, if the Inland shifter would match the Demon floor opening, and also if my driveshaft could be reused (I currently have a A230 trans and a 7 1/4 rear end).

I'd love to have a 4-speed trans, but my Demon is matching and I do not want to do something irreversible.

Last edited:
The trans and shifter will work. Not sure about the bell housing linkage to use it in a 71 Demon. I assume it is a 66 bell housing trans and shifter.

Thank you all for your useful opinions...

The trans is not very pricey : 500€ complete with lever and bellhousing. Usually, here, an A833, all by itself, is sold for at least 1500€.
But I don't know if this transmission would fit my '71 slant-six, if the Inland shifter would match the Demon floor opening, and also if my driveshaft could be reused (I currently have a A230 trans and a 7 1/4 rear end).

I'd love to have a 4-speed trans, but my Demon is matching and I do not want to do something irreversible.
Your driveshaft will work right back with no modifications and your existing slip yoke should work also. You may get lucky on your existing bellhousing, and it will have dual bolt patterns for 3 speed and 4 speed transmissions, if there actually is a difference in the bolt patterns of an A230 and an 833. As far is doing something irreversible, it all bolts in...so it isn't a permanent modification. Simply save your A230 since it is your numbers matching transmission. I think the Inland shifter will probably fit thru the opening in your floor, but worst case scenario is you have to buy a Hurst shifter and rods. If it is close enough to you for you to go pick it up, don't let it get away! You may not find another one at that price.

Hi JDM
Thanks for this long explanation.
So, my driveshaft and yoke will work... ok. And probably, the shifter too...
But I didn't understand for the bellhousing. Do you speak of my current bellhousing, or the one sold with the 833?
The bolt pattern is different between A230 and A833?

I guess I didn't say that very well....lol. I was talking about your current bellhousing. I do not know for certain if 70's slant 6 bellhousings have dual bolt patterns for an A230 and an 833. I do know that every 70's Mopar LA car bellhousing that I have ever seen had both bolt patterns. I have never personally had an A230 transmission. I can only assume that the bolt patterns are different between and A230 and an 833, or the factory would not have made the Small block motor car bellhousings with 2 patterns. I'd say it was cheaper for them to have a bellhousing that would fit both transmissions than it would have been to produce and inventory separate ones. If you are able to safely jack your Demon up and can get under it to look at where your A230 bolts to the bellhousing, you may be able to see if there are other bolt holes near the holes the A230 is bolted into. I'll try to add some pics of a small block bellhousing I have out in the garage so it might make more sense. :)

Ok JDM, I understand for my current bellhousing and its - maybe - dual bolt pattern :thumbsup:

And about the bellhousing sold with the A833? Won't it fit my slant? Is the '66/67 slant engine block different of the '71 one?

-
Back