Can you ID this Mopar gearbox?

-
If the one being sold with the 833 will line up your existing clutch linkage, I don’t see why you couldn’t use it. Here is a pic of a bellhousing that came with my 833 OD. The bolts are in the holes that line up with an 833. You can see the other 4 holes for a different transmission. The holes in this bellhousing match exactly with a 340 bellhousing I have that came off of a 72 Duster 340 that I am 100% certain had an A230 trans.Hopefully after looking at this you can look at yours to see. Looking at this pic, the bottom left hole without a bolt in it is visible with the 833 bolted to the bellhousing.
A7F584EB-4D14-4502-80B0-654118BDD7B9.jpeg

Wow, you're the best. :thumbsup:
This time, I understood everything.
On my current belhousing, normally, I can easily see the two bottom holes provided for the A833 under my A230 gearbox body.
bellhousing.jpeg
Thanks again very much for your help... :)

François

I talked to the seller and no ID tag on the gearbox body. He told me that the trans is out of a 170ci Barracuda. I think it's a '66.
He sells the complete trans, plus the bellhousing, the clutch and mecanism, the speedo cable, and a driveshaft.
Appears to be a good bargain at 500 euros.

I found an excellent information about slant-6 A833 & OD A833 :
4 Speed Transmissions transmission

Now, the bad news :
This page tells about a "hump" into the floorboard for 4-speed transmission, to clear all the shift rods.
I don't know if my factory 3-speed floorboard has this hump, or not... The shift rods on the A230 are under the gearbox body and do not really require a hump into the floorboard.

So, the question is : are 3-speed and 4-speed floorboards the same, or not?

Yes, my Demon has a floor shift transmission. Thank you for reassuring me on the hump question...

And about selling the bellhousing, I'm in Europe and here, it's not a highly sought-after piece on the market :)

I see. Do you think that the '65 or '66 bellhousing would bolt directly onto my '71 slant engine block?

And did you have to complain about the Inland shifter? Not as good as Hurst shifters for sure, but are Inland shifters real junk?

The early bellhousing will bolt to your block, but I would use your original if it has both bolt patterns. You know all the linkage works. I run Hurst shifters, they are much better. I used to do full power shifts. But I ran the inland shifter back in the day, and they work OK. You can always swap it for a Hurst later if you want.

The early bellhousing will bolt to your block, but I would use your original if it has both bolt patterns (Maybe, I have to check..!). You know all the linkage works. I run Hurst shifters, they are much better. I used to do full power shifts. But I ran the inland shifter back in the day, and they work OK. You can always swap it for a Hurst later if you want.

Yes, swapping for a Hurst shifter is an option. And why not? Let's be crazy : a pistol grip? :)

In any case, thank you very much for all your very useful information
:thankyou:

Francois.....you'd better buy that thing before someone else does! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, it's close enough for you to make a road trip to get it!

It's done.
The complete gearbox and the driveshaft are reserved to me.
They are 300km far from me, but I think I will go to pick up them next saturday :)

Just for the fun, here's the trip :
gearbox trip.jpg

Ok, I found another solution : the gearbox and driveshaft will be delivered to me on friday by a transporter :thumbsup:
No more expensive than if I had made the road myself. And less fatigue

A question : how does the Inland reverse lock-out mechanically work? Is it cable operated?

Meanwhile, I found the answer : the lock-out is operated by a cable in the hollow lever.
But if it's easy to get the cable apart, it also could be very difficult to get it on back (especially if the cable is frayed).
This can be a problem to pass the lever through a shift boot.

I also checked my current bellhousing and it doesn't have the dual pattern mounting holes :(
So, I will have to use the '66 bellhousing which comes with the 833.

François

Last edited:
It looks like the lower clutch linkage, probably just "stored" there to keep everything together.

It looks like the lower clutch linkage, probably just "stored" there to keep everything together.

The rod that goes between the Z-bar and the fork?
Oh...maybe. I didn't think about this :) Clever identification, thanks. :thumbsup:

The gearbox and loose parts are arrived home this evening.
It's night here now, and I just took apart the bellhousing to check the part#. 2468433

2468433.jpg
Tomorrow, I will continue to disassemble the exterior parts : the shifter and rods, the speedometer cable and the crossmember.

Mine is a '66 one, with a slip-yoke tailshaft.
This morning, I stripped it.
B1.jpg
No leak, the 3 gear levers move freely forward and rearward
Next step : degreasing the gearbox and external parts.

To check the compatibility with my '66 A833 output shaft which has 26 teeth, how much teeth on my '71 3-speed A230 output shaft spline? 26 or 30?

-
Back