Cheap *** headers at it again!!

-
I had three days on a fresh polyurethane front end with BIG T-bars lol. In my case, the crown was between the tires. I'll never forget how fast the smile turned to a frown around that corner. The first corner I really tried carving with that combo lol
smiles to frowns on the daily for me lol

The cheapy headers create plug wire issues as they are right next to the plug wires and also makes it harder to change the plugs. I've also read about the header tube being close to the master cylinder has been known to raise the temperature of the brake fluid. I've done alot of research on things probably more than others
No issues with plugs or cables they fit perfectly fine with the stock valve cover inserts

maybe you need to go watch it again and refresh your memory. the amount and degree to which they dented those tubes up far exceeds any amount i've ever had to massage a header in order to get it to fit, and i'm sure it's the same for most others.

and what was the outcome? that's right, nearly nothing.

again, you're over here speaking like you're an authority on the matter when you don't have headers and don't even have a car.

i'll agree to the point that buying quality pieces like doug's or tti eases the install process, but as OP showed, even the cheapy summit units don't require mangling if paired with the right combo of parts.
You Sir owe me a bottle of Windex. Stop now, I can't keep spiling drinks laughing.

You Sir owe me a bottle of Windex. Stop now, I can't keep spiling drinks laughing.
dan dan minivan man over here acting as if tti's and doug's just go on ahead and jump right into the engine bay and slide right on in when you open the box like spending 1K on headers is some kinda magic cheat code.

are expensive headers easier to install than most, yes. but they too are not without their challenges. and guess what: plug access is the same pain in the dick, and distance to master cylinder is the same too close for comfort, and you can smoke out plug wires with stock manifolds too.

some bumped up primaries ain't gonna make a gnat's *** of difference for 99.9% of the action dudes installing them round here use them for. unless the collector is damn near pinched off you'd be hard pressed to see any difference in most street applications.

over here worried to death about headers when there's not even a car to put them on. cart, horse, yadda yadda yadda.

dan dan minivan man over here acting as if tti's and doug's just go on ahead and jump right into the engine bay and slide right on in when you open the box like spending 1K on headers is some kinda magic cheat code.

are expensive headers easier to install than most, yes. but they too are not without their challenges. and guess what: plug access is the same pain in the dick, and distance to master cylinder is the same too close for comfort, and you can smoke out plug wires with stock manifolds too.

some bumped up primaries ain't gonna make a gnat's *** of difference for 99.9% of the action dudes installing them round here use them for. unless the collector is damn near pinched off you'd be hard pressed to see any difference in most street applications.

over here worried to death about headers when there's not even a car to put them on. cart, horse, yadda yadda yadda.
'74 dart sport, 360 with a 4 speed and mini starter. Doug's headers fit like a glove and zero interference with the spark plugs and have a better clearance between the headers and the master cylinder.

You want to go along for the ride?
If the car is so good why are you towing it?
Have it inspected by a real.place. Not Joe Bob ya bringn with you that knows not much more than you. Ya bringing a lift with you?
Get car inspected, do an oil change in motel 4 and a half lot. Get supplies and drive home.
If a street car can't make it home you don't buy it.
Why am I getting sucked into another Dan getting a car thing, what is it 10 years and car #1000 now?

FYI, I'm not a bit worried about putting headers on a car, I was simply making a comment nothing more. I'm willing to bet that when the time comes that I'll be able to install a set of headers in less time than you for the simple reason that I took the time to do a little research and talked to people who have installed headers. I've heard of guys using different motor mounts and custom made high pressure power steering hoses in order to gain a little extra clearance. I'm sure that your aware of this but you can also go with electric steering conversion and eliminate the clearance issue with the hydraulic system. I may not have the experience that you have but I'm not a dummy either. I probably mentioned a few things about headers that you had no idea of. Oh, my name is not minivan man.

If the car is so good why are you towing it?
Have it inspected by a real.place. Not Joe Bob ya bringn with you that knows not much more than you. Ya bringing a lift with you?
Get car inspected, do an oil change in motel 4 and a half lot. Get supplies and drive home.
If a street car can't make it home you don't buy it.
Why am I getting sucked into another Dan getting a car thing, what is it 10 years and car #1000 now?
I didn't think that it was a good idea to drive a car 4 hours from home that I know nothing about. The guy going with me is very knowledgeable and I trust him. I haven't looked the 10 years that your talking about as I had some serious family issues with my parents and the wife's parents. As far as a inspection being done, how do I know that I can trust them?

FYI, I'm not a bit worried about putting headers on a car, I was simply making a comment nothing more. I'm willing to bet that when the time comes that I'll be able to install a set of headers in less time than you for the simple reason that I took the time to do a little research and talked to people who have installed headers. I've heard of guys using different motor mounts and custom made high pressure power steering hoses in order to gain a little extra clearance. I'm sure that your aware of this but you can also go with electric steering conversion and eliminate the clearance issue with the hydraulic system. I may not have the experience that you have but I'm not a dummy either. I probably mentioned a few things about headers that you had no idea of. Oh, my name is not minivan man.
Installing sets of, Hooker, Headman, Black Jack, TTI, Doug's, Spitfire, etc in real makes one more of an expert than reading about doing it.
@MinivanDan

I didn't think that it was a good idea to drive a car 4 hours from home that I know nothing about. The guy going with me is very knowledgeable and I trust him. I haven't looked the 10 years that your talking about as I had some serious family issues with my parents and the wife's parents. As far as a inspection being done, how do I know that I can trust them?
You are inspecting the car. It is either road worthy or not.
If you can not trust your or the person who you say is so much better than you. You have a problems right there and don't even know it. And you should instead of being insulted by that, think long and hard about not getting someone qualified, who also has equipment to asst you.

I'm willing to bet that when the time comes that I'll be able to install a set of headers in less time than you for the simple reason that I took the time to do a little research and talked to people who have installed headers.

i'd take that bet eight days a week and twice on sunday. but we all know you're just talk.

so before you go flapping your goat lips, about how you're gonna do wonders and **** black and blue cucumbers i thought you should know that: 1- i'm a professional mechanic, 2- i specialize in mopar and mostly work on a-bodies, 3- i've installed several sets of both tti and dougs (as well as other brands) on a bodies ranging from 64~76, both small block and big block with all types of configurations of steering and transmission.

so, if you'd still like to make that bet i'd be more than happy to entertain your action on it.

minidan vanman dan said:
I probably mentioned a few things about headers that you had no idea of.

you did not.

minivan man dan said:
Oh, my name is not minivan man.
are you sure about that? it's how you're quoted...

so to recap: doing research and talking to people does not translate magically into the ability to knock on a set of headers in record time. especially if you've got a peg leg and an eye patch, matey! arrr!

Installing sets of, Hooker, Headman, Black Jack, TTI, Doug's, Spitfire, etc in real makes one more of an expert than reading about doing it.
@MinivanDan
bro, he read about it and talked to people. i'm sure if he read enough popular mechanics and went to JPL and talked to a few folks he could build a new minivan based jupiter rover and the rocket to get it there-- powered by a 318 of course.

Last edited:
MiniVanDan's worry about spark plug changes and burnt wires are funny. You right there prove you are clueless.

i'd take that bet eight days a week and twice on sunday. but we all know you're just talk.

so before you go flapping your goat lips, about how you're gonna do wonders and **** black and blue cucumbers i thought you should know that: 1- i'm a professional mechanic, 2- i specialize in mopar and mostly work on a-bodies, 3- i've installed several sets of both tti and dougs (as well as other brands) on a bodies ranging from 64~76, both small block and big block with all types of configurations of steering and transmission.

so, if you'd still like to make that bet i'd be more than happy to entertain your action on it.

you did not.

are you sure about that? it's how you're quoted...

so to recap: doing research and talking to people does not translate magically into the ability to knock on a set of headers in record time. especially if you've got a peg leg and an eye patch, matey! arrr!
How long would it take you to install a /6 and transmission in a 1974 duster by yourself?

You are inspecting the car. It is either road worthy or not.
If you can not trust your or the person who you say is so much better than you. You have a problems right there and don't even know it. And you should instead of being insulted by that, think long and hard about not getting someone qualified, who also has equipment to asst you.
I'm thinking seriously about using a inspector now for sure. I trust my friend but I know how people try to hide things. You made me think twice about the inspector, thanks

I'm not worried about either one. That's good that you're admitting that you're clueless.
Your the clueless one. Your constantly worried about spark plug changes and fear of burnt wires. Shows what you really know and are capable to doing.

Your the clueless one. Your constantly worried about spark plug changes and fear of burnt wires. Shows what you really know and are capable to doing.
Man, I only made a comment about plug wires and plugs and I could give a **** less

and guess what: plug access is the same pain in the dick,

not sure what headers you are talking about , but tti small block headers make plugs cake to get to. even easier then manifolds..

fan shroud 020.jpg
fan shroud 023.jpg

All I can say is, you get what you pay for and me being cheap has bit me in the a$$. No complaints about spark plug issues yet, but fixing factory mistakes sucks sometimes.

-
Back