Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
I am trying to transfer the title on Natalie, the new car. As the car is up on stilts, it can not be driven to have an inspection. The state of Arizona will not transfer title without inspection. AZ DMV gave me a 20 page list of companies that will perform an off-site inspection (i.e. come to my house and verify that the car is not running)
Every company on the list, within 10 miles of me, says they DO NOT do off-site inspections and wishes AZDMV would take them off the list.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Did you ever wonder why people go postal at the AZ DMV? :banghead:

Sounds like you may have just be handed the golden egg. Check in to the details and open up a side business if it will make you some extra cash. If Oklahoma allowed off-site inspections I would be checking it out immediately and be opening up shop.

Last I knew, in Idaho, a deputy would come (at his convenience) and do an inspection.

Unless things have changed in the last 2 years or so, you should be able to transfer the "title" only. To get a current registration with tags, it would need to be inspected if purchased from out of state.

If you need add'l help, call this place. The lady there is extremely knowledgable & very reasonably priced :cheers:

Action Auto Title
1911 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

(480) 970-0586

What year is the car ? I'm surprised, as I've found Arizona DMV light years ahead of Colorado in customer service and help getting things done.

Two salmon are swimming upstream, talking to each other. Suddenly one of them bumps his head on a cement wall.

He looks at his friend and says, "Dam...."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cIGYpFA68"]Beavis and Butthead at the Hoover dam - YouTube[/ame]

Yesterday, I spoke with the state DMV, AGAIN. After butting our heads against the wall, She said to have law enforcement do the inspection. I said that I work in Law enforcement. Telling her my position with the Sheriff's posse, she said that she will mail me the forms and "have one of your posse buddies sign it for you"

Part of my research led me to the manual to do off site inspections. I may start doing these inspections myself. I do not know if I can get approval from the Sheriff's office. I will look into it after I get close to finishing the project

Unless things have changed in the last 2 years or so, you should be able to transfer the "title" only. To get a current registration with tags, it would need to be inspected if purchased from out of state.

If you need add'l help, call this place. The lady there is extremely knowledgable & very reasonably priced :cheers:

Action Auto Title
1911 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

(480) 970-0586

I just call them, they don't do off site inspections, but gave me the number of someone she knows that does

Late Friday afternoon, I spoke with the insurance company and got them to email me a copy of my insurance card. Now I can go back to DMV (for the third time) and get the title transfer and classic car plates.

At times it does. But with the political correctness going on out there and politics in general, I would not live anywhere else

At times it does. But with the political correctness going on out there and politics in general, I would not live anywhere else

Eureka, Natalie is now insured and registered. I bought her plates for 5 years. They handed me a regular license plate, I asked why was I not getting the Antique or Classic Car plates. I was told it would end up costing me double if I wanted the special plate, So standard plates it is.

:thumbup: Good to hear you got it handled.....Congrats!!

Here's a little known fact for North Carolina, perhaps Arizona has a similar law. Oh, and I had it printed out and kept it in the glove box for those just in case times... Actually 2 different occasions I've had deputy sheriff's try to give me a ticket for falsified tags, was great when they get on the radio to a supervisor and have to walk back up to me and say they apologize, have a nice day. Makes my day lol. I highlighted in red the section I am referring. Basically you can run any tags you want as long as the year of manufacture is on the tag.

G.S. 20-63(d) reads:
"Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck-tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck-tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.
The Division shall provide registered owners of motorcycles and motorcycle trailers with suitably reduced size registration plates."
It is a good idea to keep a copy of this paragraph of the general stature handy in your vehicle along with the tag of current registration just in case somebody isn't up to date and tries to give you a hard time about the one that you have bolted onto the vehicle. Having the year of manufacture tag not only can help provide the correct "look" for an antique, it can serve as a subtle way to answer that question of "what year is it?".

"Year of manufacture" tags in Idaho is similar but different. Here, you cannot simply hang plates on the car. You must photo the plates for inspection, and email the photo to Boise who gives approval. Then you register the car, and mine is not registered with any sort of collector car mileage limits, l but there IS an extra fee on top of the standard registration fee.

But Idaho fees are fairly reasonable (so far!!) and I don't mind. Here, you only need ONE year of manufacture plate, so that is all I run. Have a Mopar plate on the front, and so far, no troubles. The "sticker" on the plate is "extra big," LOL so I guess the cops see it!!

In NJ, we can get special antique plates (referred to as "QQ" plates) for a one time fee of $50. They need to be renewed for no cost every other year. Plus only the rear plate needs to be displayed. There is no limitation on mileage and no state inspections are ever necessary. The only limitation is that the vehicle is only to be driven to/from car show type activities or to/from repairs. After 12 years, I only got hassled once for driving home from work. I believe the cop who stopped me saw a maniquin I used for show displays and thought I was kidnapping someone. He stopped me and crouched/creeped up to my window,with his hand on his gun. He peered into my backseat and then relaxed when he saw the dummy. He then asked me if I knew why he stopped me. I said "no, because I know that I wasn't speeding (for a change)". He said that he stopped me because I was cruising in the left lane (NJ has a law that says left lane is for passing only). I said that I was turning left in a mile and was just getting ready. Besides, it was only him and me on the whole road. Then he said that he knew I was driving home from work and this was not allowed because I had QQ plates on the car and never got state inspections. He said that my car was unsafe because of that. I replied that My car received more inspections than nearly every car on the road ... This guy was just trying to avoid being accused of mistaking a dummy for a kidnap victim. Anyway, I said give me the ticket and I'll see him in court. He just let me go. I never had any other cop give me any hassles in this car.

I had a Buick Grand National that every other time I drove it, I was stopped by a cop for no reason whatsoever. They profiled the car here as a favorite of drug dealers. They targeted/stopped the car and then when they saw my gray hair they nearly always relaxed and sometimes even laughed. I traded that beautiful car even-steven for a non-running 70 Road Runner just to get away from all the hassles!

The only limitation is that the vehicle is only to be driven to/from car show type activities or to/from repairs.

That's one hell of a limitation. I realize it's difficult to enforce, but one that's not acceptable to me. There are other "antique" "oldtimer" etc plate programs in ID which are similarly limited.

There is no set mileage limit here in AZ, that I know of.
But you must have collectors insurance, which has limitations. My insurance company vehicle usage reads, 'I hereby certify...(the vehicle)......will be used for hobby purposes, exhibitions and an occasional hice day drive. It will not be used for general or backup transportation, nor will they be used for running errands, shopping, driven to work or school, or for business/advertising purposes'

I have had my everyday car for 5 years and have put on 20K miles. My everyday car probably would qualify for this stipulation.

-
Back