Diaphragm vs. Borg and Beck.............

-
Why would you want to use less base?

Since someone deleted my post, I'll answer this you like this.

If you have to be told why you would use less or more base verses counter weight, I'll assume you've never worked with an adjustable clutch.

More than likely, you just like to type. I have found it's quicker to type bullcrap than it is to refute it.

Since someone deleted my post, I'll answer this you like this.

If you have to be told why you would use less or more base verses counter weight, I'll assume you've never worked with an adjustable clutch.

More than likely, you just like to type. I have found it's quicker to type bullcrap than it is to refute it.

You seem unable to comprehend my full posts, figured i might try make my point using your own words. Looks like you figured that out.

Yup. I figured out you are a bullshitter and a carnival huckster selling screen door parts to car owners.

If you don't know why you want to drop base and add counter weight, you need to head back to 1975. In fact, I hear it calling you now.

Say hi to Shaggy and Scooby Do for me whe you get there.

Are you are pleading the 5th before you say something that can be used against you?

Ok guys, I am putting this thread on hold. I have put up with your banter long enough. I don't know much about clutches but I'm afraid to ask. We can't all be experts! toolmanmike (moderator)

You know if it was kept real civil without the name calling and stuff like that this could be a real learning experience. Yr is always calling any kind of diaphragm style clutch junk of course and wheelburner it is trying to sell his screen door parts LOL.
My first question would be how is it that yr is trying to get into 14's with a 340 in an a-body with a soft lock clutch and I have already been in the 13's with a 318 in a-body with a cheap AutoZone diaphragm clutch? How does that work?
No of course that first question was designed to make yr crazy! LOL :poke:
I will be the first to admit I know not the first thing about clutcholigy.
Its important for the op to know that any thread can turn at any time.
wb and yr please state the facts, I might learn something !

You know if it was kept real civil without the name calling and stuff like that this could be a real learning experience. Yr is always calling any kind of diaphragm style clutch junk of course and wheelburner it is trying to sell his screen door parts LOL.
My first question would be how is it that yr is trying to get into 14's with a 340 in an a-body with a soft lock clutch and I have already been in the 13's with a 318 in a-body with a cheap AutoZone diaphragm clutch? How does that work?
No of course that first question was designed to make yr crazy! LOL :poke:
I will be the first to admit I know not the first thing about clutcholigy.
Its important for the op to know that any thread can turn at any time.
wb and yr please state the facts, I might learn something !
I'm with you, I put a clutch in and it either works or I replace it with one that does.May not be the most sound thinking? But it's got me through the first 61 years of my life!

I hope everybody knows when I mean by FACTS?!? I don't mean it's a fact that diaphragm clutches are JUNK LOL. The facts I mean- what makes it junk, what elements with the way it locks, and holds in that kind of thing. Like the way softlock holds.

You know what? I learned a long time ago that it is easier to throw an error out there ands make it sound correct than it is to dispel the error. It would take pages and pages and pages to correct just part of what weed burner claims. He likes to slip a clutch. Stop and think about that for a bit and let it sink in.

Way back in the day, I had a buddy with a tunnel rammed camaro and a 4 speed. He ended up with an adjustable pressure plate and a rag disc. The car went, like 4-5 tents quicker than what he had before, which was a bronze puck clutch and the dubious birth control pressure plate. I can't remember how many GM boxes he killed but it was plenty. Then he converted it to a Top Loader. I voted for an 833 but the bow tie snivelers over ruled me. Did have my buddy put an 833 in his car btw. Anyhoo, it just took longer for the TL to fail than the Muncie. So he went to the adjustable Long pp and a rag disc and the car went faster. He would replace the disc every 90-100 runs and keep going. Went faster. Never broke ****. But he had to learn to do it. A sintered iron disc (Sof-Lok because that is what most people recognize) will allow even less base pressure, and base pressure kills parts and makes you slow. Plus the the sintered iron discs last longer. Unless you use construction parts to make it slip rather than using controlled lock up.

Let's take your car as an example jpar. Please note, I have a fiddle recital to go to in a bit, and I am using some of my car time to type this long, drawn out ordeal.

So, using you as a LEARNING example, I watched a couple of vids you posted and PM'd you my thoughts. IIRC, they were passes earlier this year. I said you need double adjustable shocks front and read. Because you run a stick, you can't get by with what the slush box pussies do (no offense to those of you of that persuasion). You need to control the motion of the springs with the shocks.

You need to SLOW EVERYTHING DOWN. I can't remember if you have an aluminum FW, but it would help if you do, and I'll tell you why in a bit. Everything about a clutch car is control. Controlling engine speed. Controlling clutch lock up (not slipping it) is a big, big deal. Controlling your suspension so you don't beat the rear tire to death, and controlling longitudinal load transfer so you don't hit the limiters and shock the rear tires into spin. It's all about control. No other couch system, and the level we are discussing will do anything near what a sintered iron set up will do. You have to be willing to get it all correct, and test, but you will be faster every time with an adjustable SI clutch.

Let's talk about plate load and when you get it. I don't post pictures, graphs and stuff like that. We don't need it now. Plus I never put my images on the web. I have had my technology, and even my exact words stolen from me, with out due credit, let alone proper compensation. So I don't post pictures of plugs and how to read them, or correct rocker geometry or stuff like that. I do give out some knowledge for free. But I ain't spent my entire LIFETIME learning internal combustion engines and tuning etc to give it away for free. I still get paid to do some of this. Ok, hope that clears that up and we can discuss plate load.

Plate load consists of two primary things. Static, or base pressure and counter weight, if any. All clutch levers, including the birth control style (come on, you all know that's funny as hell when I do that so just chuckle and move on) will have SOME effect of counter weight. Base pressure comes from the number of springs in the cover, the spring rate of said springs and the installed height of the spring. Sound familiar??? It should. No different really than a valve spring. Borg&Beck's have 12 (TWELVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) coil springs. That's a ***** right there. The Long has only 6! When you are young, more is always better. This is a case of where it isn't so. The BB/Long cover (which I currently use) has 12 springs in it but has adjustable spring seats in it.

So plate load is a combination of spring rate, number of springs and installed height. Typically, B&B's usually are somewhere between 2600 pounds of base to about 3500, but I have personally seen some that were over 4000 pounds. It would break a Dana like a match stick, and it's stupid. You can get the B&B with no roller, 3 roller or even 6 roller assist, and it ain't adjustable!!!!!!!! Think of that. Just sitting there, you have 3000 pounds of base. Start the thing, and even with just 3 rollers, you start adding base pressure even at idle. Turn it 6K and now you are probably adding another 1000 pounds at a minimum to your total plate load. No wonder guys break parts. Some guys fix this by slipping the clutch so it don't hit as hard. That is bad.

Let's add another dimension into the equation. My favorite thing in all of motorsports...RPM. RPM can be your friend, or Satan. For most of us its satan. When a clutch car is sitting on the starting line, the pedal is down and the engine is just singing away. Now you drop the hammer and ALL that stored energy is dumped into the drive train. And then, usually parts dump onto the track. Unless you get lucky and bake the hides. This is the fine line where control comes in. You want to beat the tire as hard as it can take, with out whipping is butt. RPM is a huge factor that gets over looked. Overlooked both in terms of what I cal HIT and its effects on counter weight assist. Think about that for a bit.

Now we need to discuss discs, and disc material and construction. I want a disc as light as possible. Sometimes you have to accept the weight to get a disc that won't break your parts. Here are 2 simple examples. A sintered iron disc, with a riveted hub is much heavier that a rag disc, even if th rag disc has a spring hub. That is bad. Now look at the lightest disc I have ever seen, IN THE PARAMETERS WE ARE DISCUSSING HERE. That disc is the famous (infamous????!!!!!!?????!!!!) Ram 3 puck bronze puck disc. I can say it is the lightest disc I have ever found. That it all I can about it. It is JUNK. It has maybe one, maybe, use in life and that is some form of a circle track clutch. Other than that, it's 100% garbage. I'm not banging on Ram or its products. Back when I was starting this, Chrysler clutch options were limited. It was essentially Ram and McLeod. I was burned on McLeod by a parts counter guy who was, and if he's still alive, is as full of **** as an Xmas goose. So I had a bad taste in my mouth from about 1980 until 1997 until I pulled my head out of my prostate region and actually called and demanded a clutch that would function. Disc weight makes what I call power shifting possible. The lighter the disc, the easier they shift. A heavy disc just won't shift under load, at RPM. To compensate for heavy discs, slick shifting, pro shifting, lugs and dog ring type engagement were all invented. They all work in some capacity. The reason I mention this is because, it is all a system.

Time for a break. Later tonight, we'll get into the coefficient of friction of disc materials and why HIGH coefficient of friction discs are preferable to lower CF discs, and why this even matters, and how it affects, and effects, clutch management.

Hope some of this makes sense. If it don't, keep reading. I will tie it altogether at some point and maybe, just maybe, it will become less ambiguous as to why I detest a birth control pressure plate and discs other than sintered iron, except in cases of dead stock stuff. Then I would recommend a B&B with the correct pressure rather than a birth control PP. correct pressure depending on all th parameters will will discuss.

This will be long. It has to be. An old lady, who was dead by 1914 said we have much to learn, and much, much more to unlearn. Such is the case with clutches.

I'm off to fiddle fest.

Later
Yr.

The shock absorber piece that keeps the door from slamming shut, people use them or similar acting pieces to control clutch engagement.

Yellow Rose, you should start a new thread, Advanced Clutch Theory, instead of burying it in this thread. Merely a suggestion.

Yellow Rose, you should start a new thread, Advanced Clutch Theory, instead of burying it in this thread. Merely a suggestion.

If you know how, and are allowed tom grab my post out and move it. I don't want to retype that.

I may go in and edit it to rearrange my thoughts to be more clear, but no way do I want to retype it.

If I may yr? Yr has unwritten rules of engagement as follows: #1 yr never has or never will start a thread. #2 (as just stated) yr will not post pictures or illustrations. #3 (and this is the one that is hard for most)- at no time has he or will he give any evidence that he's truly qualified to change a spark plug. (And he doesn't have to, that's his choice!) This could be Steven Hawking having a good laugh on us car guys!!
Well for the longest time I always thought Triple R was a teenage girl with a stack of her father's Mopar Muscle magazines and I'm 98% sure that's not the truth anymore LOL
yr has plenty of interesting and technical things to say about many subjects especially clutching and it's quite interesting to hear his take on it no doubt about it, but without any qualifiers we are just listening to the rantings of a mad scientist LOL.
j par checking in this morning from the Oregon Coast...I love camping during the
week when people's kids are in school - it's sooo quiet!!!

[/QUOTE] ="66fs, post: 1971417845, member: 11475"]Copy and Paste what you wrote.[/QUOTE]

If I may yr? Yr has unwritten rules of engagement as follows: #1 yr never has or never will start a thread. #2 (as just stated) yr will not post pictures or illustrations. #3 (and this is the one that is hard for most)- at no time has he or will he give any evidence that he's truly qualified to change a spark plug. (And he doesn't have to, that's his choice!) This could be Steven Hawking having a good laugh on us car guys!!
Well for the longest time I always thought Triple R was a teenage girl with a stack of her father's Mopar Muscle magazines and I'm 98% sure that's not the truth anymore LOL
yr has plenty of interesting and technical things to say about many subjects especially clutching and it's quite interesting to hear his take on it no doubt about it, but without any qualifiers we are just listening to the rantings of a mad scientist LOL.
j par checking in this morning from the Oregon Coast...I love camping during the
week when people's kids are in school - it's sooo quiet!!!
="66fs, post: 1971417845, member: 11475"]Copy and Paste what you wrote.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I may start a thread.

I post plenty of technical ****, but you'd actually have to try it to find out. That would be called testing.

I don't do pics. Ever. Don't want my **** on the web. But I will come to the track and help. You pay and you MUST listen and do what I say. Otherwise I go home.

I can say this: if you are actually 50 years old, grew up in Portland, have been around racing for very long, you'd know who I am. I don't hide out. I just don't go to the track, because I don't find it fun any more. ****, you've probably walked past me, and you never knew it!!!! (I'll give you a hint...people say I look like Brad Pitt in the face, have the body of Adonis and from the waist down I look like that **** star dude Jeremy what's his name....which you will never verify).

I am qualified to change and read spark plugs. Thought you read my posts????

For the record, Triple R has disclosed to me that he is a middle aged woman with a stack of Super Chevy magazines, but he is almost ready to come out. He's worried you guys won't accept him for what his is. YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know this mad scientist you speak of. So I'll just continue to post relevant and interesting facts and opinions to keep you all entertained. And maybe I'll start a thread.

BTW, I used you as an example because you had recently posted pretty good videos. You can repost them. I have no doubt I could make your car significantly quicker and faster. That would depend entirely on you.

Yellow rose, checking in this afternoon from the land of sunshine and unicorns, pixie dust and leprechauns. Great gawd it is noisy here. I love the noise.

Last edited:
I agree with YR that too much clamp pressure is counter productive and kills parts. But there are other ways to dial in appropriate clutch clamp pressure during critical parts of the run, ways that he appears to have no experience with. If he does have experience with them, he should be able to point out specific differences as to what makes his way better.

Probably the biggest reason we differ in our points of view is likely because YR may be looking at things strictly from a traditional bias slick perspective, where it's important to hit the slicks just hard enough with the clutch to get them to spin, without spinning them too much. Because the engine does not typically make enough torque to break the tires loose on it’s own, it needs help from the clutch to release additional inertia energy from the engine’s rotating assy, which helps get the tires turning. It's the release of that extra energy that causes the engine to lose rpm just before the tires begin to spin. When the tires begin to spin the clutch no longer has to slip, basically trading less wear/tear on the clutch for more wear/tear on the tires. The benefit of an adjustable clutch is that it can adapt to different track conditions, enabling you to dial in just enough initial hit to get the tires turning, balancing that against centrifugal assist keeps the clutch from slipping too much down the track. It’s been that way for a long time now, but that’s beginning to change.

We now have radials which are a much more efficient tire. Just switching from slicks to radials will gain you some mph, that fact alone tells you the slicks consume more power. Problem is, you can’t just bolt a set of radials on a traditional stick/slick setup and get all the benefits. Radials just won’t tolerate the violent hit or the wheel spin that the slicks needed to work effectively with a manual transmission. When you eliminate the overly violent hit and wheel spin, it becomes much easier to reap the benefits of radials. Temporarily holding back some clutch clamp pressure is that key to making radials work. The basic difference is that for slicks you match the clutch to track conditions to get the tire slip you need, for radials it's more about matching the clutch to the engine's power to minimize engine rpm loss on launch and after the shifts. This is where the adjustable clutch with centrifugal assist falls short with radials, as the centrifugal assist causes the clutch to hit radials way too hard after a flat foot WOT shift.

The most overlooked part of a manual car getting off the line with radials is in controlling the clutch. To be more specific, it's about using the clutch to control the flow of inertia energy out of the rotating assy. Good tires can probably handle the power of the engine in 1st gear if you were doing a rolling start, it's the dump of the clutch that usually knocks them loose. The reason the dump of the clutch knocks them loose is that when the clutch grabs, it causes the engine to lose rpm. You have to look at the entire rotating assy as one LARGE flywheel...crankshaft/flywheel/pressure plate/engine pulleys/etc. Flywheels are an inertia energy storage device. When you put energy into one, it speeds up. When energy flows out of a flywheel, it slows down. The engine losing rpm when you dump the clutch is an indicator of inertia energy, stored within the rotating assy, being dumped into your input shaft. Radials can probably handle engine power alone, but engine power + inertia energy can easily put them over the edge. If your engine loses rpm when you dump the clutch, you probably need to work on fixing that if you want to run radials successfully. You might not need to completely eliminate all the rpm loss to get the tires to stick, just slowing down loss of rpm will minimize the effect and might be enough to get by.

A well trained foot can get the job done, but you may need to master several different launch scenarios (in my case- NA vs nitrous). Instead, i found the solution of installing a small adjustable hyd cylinder onto the clutch pedal to be much easier. It’s purpose is to slow down the clutch pedal's return stroke as needed, for instance making it easy to switch between the setups required for launch NA without bog, to what's required for a nitrous launch without bog. Laying down a quick pass on radials with a clutch is no longer “hit and miss” like it used to be.

I agree with YR that too much clamp pressure is counter productive and kills parts. But there are other ways to dial in appropriate clutch clamp pressure during critical parts of the run, ways that he appears to have no experience with. If he does have experience with them, he should be able to point out specific differences as to what makes his way better.

Probably the biggest reason we differ in our points of view is likely because YR may be looking at things strictly from a traditional bias slick perspective, where it's important to hit the slicks just hard enough with the clutch to get them to spin, without spinning them too much. Because the engine does not typically make enough torque to break the tires loose on it’s own, it needs help from the clutch to release additional inertia energy from the engine’s rotating assy, which helps get the tires turning. It's the release of that extra energy that causes the engine to lose rpm just before the tires begin to spin. When the tires begin to spin the clutch no longer has to slip, basically trading less wear/tear on the clutch for more wear/tear on the tires. The benefit of an adjustable clutch is that it can adapt to different track conditions, enabling you to dial in just enough initial hit to get the tires turning, balancing that against centrifugal assist keeps the clutch from slipping too much down the track. It’s been that way for a long time now, but that’s beginning to change.

We now have radials which are a much more efficient tire. Just switching from slicks to radials will gain you some mph, that fact alone tells you the slicks consume more power. Problem is, you can’t just bolt a set of radials on a traditional stick/slick setup and get all the benefits. Radials just won’t tolerate the violent hit or the wheel spin that the slicks needed to work effectively with a manual transmission. When you eliminate the overly violent hit and wheel spin, it becomes much easier to reap the benefits of radials. Temporarily holding back some clutch clamp pressure is that key to making radials work. The basic difference is that for slicks you match the clutch to track conditions to get the tire slip you need, for radials it's more about matching the clutch to the engine's power to minimize engine rpm loss on launch and after the shifts. This is where the adjustable clutch with centrifugal assist falls short with radials, as the centrifugal assist causes the clutch to hit radials way too hard after a flat foot WOT shift.

The most overlooked part of a manual car getting off the line with radials is in controlling the clutch. To be more specific, it's about using the clutch to control the flow of inertia energy out of the rotating assy. Good tires can probably handle the power of the engine in 1st gear if you were doing a rolling start, it's the dump of the clutch that usually knocks them loose. The reason the dump of the clutch knocks them loose is that when the clutch grabs, it causes the engine to lose rpm. You have to look at the entire rotating assy as one LARGE flywheel...crankshaft/flywheel/pressure plate/engine pulleys/etc. Flywheels are an inertia energy storage device. When you put energy into one, it speeds up. When energy flows out of a flywheel, it slows down. The engine losing rpm when you dump the clutch is an indicator of inertia energy, stored within the rotating assy, being dumped into your input shaft. Radials can probably handle engine power alone, but engine power + inertia energy can easily put them over the edge. If your engine loses rpm when you dump the clutch, you probably need to work on fixing that if you want to run radials successfully. You might not need to completely eliminate all the rpm loss to get the tires to stick, just slowing down loss of rpm will minimize the effect and might be enough to get by.

A well trained foot can get the job done, but you may need to master several different launch scenarios (in my case- NA vs nitrous). Instead, i found the solution of installing a small adjustable hyd cylinder onto the clutch pedal to be much easier. It’s purpose is to slow down the clutch pedal's return stroke as needed, for instance making it easy to switch between the setups required for launch NA without bog, to what's required for a nitrous launch without bog. Laying down a quick pass on radials with a clutch is no longer “hit and miss” like it used to be.

What you don't understand is I don't have to explain **** to YOU. You ain't paying me.

No doubt radials are different. But, if you think slipping a clutch is a great idea, you are the only one I know of. Is it done because idiotic rules limit clutch choices? Maybe. Is it because at times all you can get is a piece of **** clutch and you have to make do? Most likely. Chrysler stick guys know this for a fact. For years, you couldn't get a 10.5 inch Long cover so you were stuck. But mostly, it's goofballs who want to take chicken **** and try and make chicken salad.

I'll say it again, but HOW LONG IS FABO GOING TO ALLOW YOU TO CARNIVAL BARK YOUR **** FOR SALE ON THEIR SITE WITHOUT YOU PAYING FOR ADVERTISEMENT?????????

Geebus, this is why I don't want to answer this ****, it would take me 8-10 pages just to refute his statement that you hit the tires too hard on a flat footed shift unless you run his industrial screen door parts.

Use your heads guys. Unless you like wearing out a disc every 20 runs (which is now the cool thing to do) you need a controlled application of pressure.

And the simple difference is this: with the screen door method, the pressure plate is not against the disc, but held off of it. With the correct clutch, the plate will be against the disc all the time. You are essentially waiting for the disc to catch up to crank speed, which is a function of RPM,base pressure, counter weight (if any) and coefficient of friction of the disc.

I've never seen anyone argue that slipping a clutch is a good thing. Keep burning weed. It's working for you.

Clamp pressure is clamp pressure. You get it low base + centrifugal, i get it high base - whatever i choose to temporarily hold back. You have reduced clamp pressure on launch, so do I. You have more clamp come in later to keep the clutch from slipping down track, so do I. I pointed out the difference in clamp after the shift, something you don't necessarily want from your setup but can't do anything about. My setup can launch higher than yours without knocking the tires loose.

You keep saying i wear out clutch discs, but typical slip time here on launch is around 1 sec. How long does your clutch slip on launch?

Clamp pressure is clamp pressure. You get it low base + centrifugal, i get it high base - whatever i choose to temporarily hold back. You have reduced clamp pressure on launch, so do I. You have more clamp come in later to keep the clutch from slipping down track, so do I. I pointed out the difference in clamp after the shift, something you don't necessarily want from your setup but can't do anything about. My setup can launch higher than yours without knocking the tires loose.

You keep saying i wear out clutch discs, but typical slip time here on launch is around 1 sec. How long does your clutch slip on launch?

Typically, it's a bit longer than that.

But like everything else, you try and simplify it beyond what is reasonable. If you think big base pressures (I consider that to be over 1200 pounds for the applications WE are discussing) and slipping the clutch is good, welcome to 1975.

I have used as low as 600 pounds of base and 300 pounds of counter (which was just the fingers) and the clutch was locked up. At the time, I shifted at 8500 and two stepped it at 6300 (depending on conditions).

So why in the f£€k would I want to use 2400 pounds of base and just make it slip? Why not use a disc with a high coefficient of friction and make science work for you instead of brute strength?

It ain't that hard. Until you come along and screw it up with your hillbilly antics.

Typically, it's a bit longer than that.

But like everything else, you try and simplify it beyond what is reasonable. If you think big base pressures (I consider that to be over 1200 pounds for the applications WE are discussing) and slipping the clutch is good, welcome to 1975.

I have used as low as 600 pounds of base and 300 pounds of counter (which was just the fingers) and the clutch was locked up. At the time, I shifted at 8500 and two stepped it at 6300 (depending on conditions).

So why in the f£€k would I want to use 2400 pounds of base and just make it slip? Why not use a disc with a high coefficient of friction and make science work for you instead of brute strength?

It ain't that hard. Until you come along and screw it up with your hillbilly antics.

Not sure what size clutch you have, but my calculator says a typical single 10.375" od x 6.550" id segmented iron disc with 900 lbs total clamp is only good for around 260 ft/lbs cold.

2400 lbs of base on a typical segmented iron disc holds about 700 ft/lbs. If you dump that clutch and the tires stick, that clutch will draw whatever torque the engine is making plus whatever is available from the rotating assy until that 700 ft/lb slip threshold is met. That is unless you break something first. This is the 1975 result. I'm very familiar with how we did things back then, in 1975 I was buying Hapco clutches from my local E/MP national record holder for my tunnel rammed 301 powered '65 Chevelle, my high school ride. 4.88 gears and Mcreary circle track slicks that i had to air up every morning before school, if i washed the tires with soapy water the sidewalls would foam. Every friday was open headers day back then. Learned a lot when i bolted an aluminum flywheel on that car.

Fast forward to now, we have found better ways to make things come together more smoothly. Temporarily limiting clamp to say 2000 lbs instead of 2400 effectively limits torque that the input shaft sees to about 575 ft/lbs during those first few moments when you are most likely to break things. No longer need the monster heavy parts to hold the same power. Low base + centrifugal = 2000 lbs gets you the same slip threshold as high base - temporary reduction = 2000 lbs. At that point the clutch sees no difference clamp pressure or wear. The difference is that your method gains clamp as the engine gains rpm, my method gains clamp at a hydraulically timed rate.

My personal street/strip car currently has a 2800lb diaphragm with a 10.4" solid hub full face iron disc. It NEEDS that much clamp to hold 800ft/lbs for those times when the little 355 has both kits turned on. When i was at 700whp I used to use a 900 series segmented iron disc and that typically lasted 2-3 years with about .5 to .7 seconds of WOT slip. But here's the thing- the car gets faster the longer i let the clutch slip. For me personally, dialing in 1 second of slip is a good compromise that puts me in the comfortable position of a clutch disc lasting a full season without needing maintenance.

-
Back