Diff gear recommendations

-
I mean if your Garfield... or really like Lasagna it's a great thing. Then again, the Italian Mobsters were pretty rowdy.. so the gears must be good right?
And the only way around the limited selection would be to swap the entire pig(which I'm not against), correct?
I saw that Motive was Italian made, so that's a good thing.
I shoulda snagged an empty 83/4 pig at moparfest a couple years back for $50 :BangHead:

About 20 years ago, I bought a complete 489 housing center section with 3.55 gears and Sure Grip from Randy's Ring and Pinion. It was all new parts including the housing. It has performed flawlessly. They are still in business at this website: www.randysworldwide.com
I have Randy Ring & Pinion 489 center section in my car for about 20 years. And last 15 years stroker engine and now 6 spd manual trans. I change gear oil regularly to help it last.

Thanks for all chiming in guys, and I apologize for lack of info on my part. I'll include more.
I emailed Cass/Dr Diff, for the 741 the gears are Korean made. Everything else with "kit" is USA.
I emailed Motive and theirs is Korea as well?? Website says Italy tho??
The trans I have is original 67/904.
The cam is an old school Comp 20-247-4
I bought here(probably too big but couldn't pass up)
https://www.compcams.com/magnum-236...r-273-360.html?SID=j2orr5rmdfmu64agmq3i93dc1d
I'm thinking like OMM said it needs more stall obviously, but do that first?
Thanks all.

If you figure it needs more stall speed, absolutely do that first!!!
You might find it wakes up the car so much you don't need a gear swap.
Think about a power /torque curve. How much more power and torque does a typical ic engine have at 3300 rpm than 2200? (Without changing a thing in or out of the engine).

If you figure it needs more stall speed, absolutely do that first!!!
You might find it wakes up the car so much you don't need a gear swap.
Think about a power /torque curve. How much more power and torque does a typical ic engine have at 3300 rpm than 2200? (Without changing a thing in or out of the engine).
Hp is about 63% of torque at 3300 rpm vs 42% @ 2200 rpm, guess were talking a LA 360 so probably around 350 tq (147hp) at 2200 rpm and 400 tq (252 hp) @ 3300 rpm basically around an 100 hp difference give or take.

https://www.compcams.com/magnum-236...r-273-360.html?SID=j2orr5rmdfmu64agmq3i93dc1d
Thanks all.
that is... uhhh... sizeable for a street cam. even more so if you're down on cubes.

it's on a 106 with 110 so at least you've got that going for ya.

i'd stall it up first, personally. hope you have compression...

Thanks for all chiming in guys, and I apologize for lack of info on my part. I'll include more.
I emailed Cass/Dr Diff, for the 741 the gears are Korean made. Everything else with "kit" is USA.
Thanks all.
What size motor and c.r.

Lol, depending on what you mean by "compression". Pistons are old TRW's sticking out approx .030. But I gotta dbl chk notes to be "accurate".
Hey we overcammed the 273, so I probably(without a doubt) over cammed the 340...:rolleyes::lol:
that is... uhhh... sizeable for a street cam. even more so if you're down on cubes.

Yeah all this talk about 2400 this and that. Yeah if maybe you want a pussy for a car. I'd put a tight 3200-3500 in it all day long.

With that cam I'd go with a 10 inch converter 3500 and a 4.10 gear. You'll think you bought a different car. You'll be able to smoke out complete neighborhoods! If you don't like it I'll buy the converter and gears. lol. You'll have more fun than legally allowed. And you can still put the 3.23's back in if you are going on a long haul.

Thanks all.
Yes do the converter first . You will see, It will make the car perform a lot better then a gear change. on the street.

Look for a deal on a newer trans with a better converter . May find a whole unit cheaper then a new converter.

The converters in the 67's were the worse for performance.

Yes do the converter first . You will see, It will make the car perform a lot better then a gear change. on the street.

Look for a deal on a newer trans with a better converter . May find a whole unit cheaper then a new converter.

The converters in the 67's were the worse for performance.
Were the 67's the course splines like the 65-66's.

Were the 67's the course splines like the 65-66's.
yeah they were the early ones that are almost impossible to find performance converters for.

but these days a custom converter is gonna be about the same coin as a good off the shelf unit... so it's kind of six of one and how the cookie crumbles.

Ask @66fyssh about the converter I recommended for his car and how much he likes it. He wasn't skeered. He got just the one I recommended and loves it.

Ask @66fyssh about the converter I recommended for his car and how much he likes it. He wasn't skeered. He got just the one I recommended and loves it.

Oh yeah! PTC 9.5", flashes around 3500/3600 behind my 5.9, .218/.224, .517 on a 110, with 3:23's.

RRR also recommended the cam. Wish I would have gone with his suggestion to go 108 on the LSA...but I was scared, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Steve Motive performance gears in the Orange Box are made in Italy , they also have Blue Box street gears for some makes (9inch Ford etc. ) also made in Italy ,,, they do have gears made somewhere in Asia and are cheap price wise ,, the part number for these gear sets has an A at the end . i do not think they make the cheap gear for 8-3/4 differential. even Timken bearings has gone offshore i am seeing more made in China on their boxes and other boxes say the bearing is made with imported components. if you need a complete differential let me know , you may have seen my diffs at Moparfest.

-
Back