Diff gear recommendations

-
Thanks John, weird why Motive in their email only mentions Korea. You would think they would jump at any chance to mention somewhere other than Asia.
Yes I believe I have seen your setups at Mfest, but I wasn't in the market at the time. It was definitely a soggy show this year. I'll keep an eye out for you in 2025.
Steve Motive performance gears in the Orange Box are made in Italy , they also have Blue Box street gears for some makes (9inch Ford etc. ) also made in Italy ,,, they do have gears made somewhere in Asia and are cheap price wise ,, the part number for these gear sets has an A at the end . i do not think they make the cheap gear for 8-3/4 differential. even Timken bearings has gone offshore i am seeing more made in China on their boxes and other boxes say the bearing is made with imported components. if you need a complete differential let me know , you may have seen my diffs at Moparfest.

Well, answer this. Do you see a bunch of threads everywhere on the net bitching about broke overseas gears? You know there's a SLEW of them made and for there to not be a lot of online complaints tells me they work pretty good.

Yep, I agree, just weird how some stuff can be done right and other stuff can be junk. I believe this proves my point I've said before is that they have the capabilities/skills, it's the CEO's of the Companies that allow the **** quality/tolerances.
Well, answer this. Do you see a bunch of threads everywhere on the net bitching about broke overseas gears? You know there's a SLEW of them made and for there to not be a lot of online complaints tells me they work pretty good.

Yep, I agree, just weird how some stuff can be done right and other stuff can be junk. I believe this proves my point I've said before is that they have the capabilities/skills, it's the CEO's of the Companies that allow the **** quality/tolerances.
A lot of it is forum heroes telling you things they have no experience doing.

All of you need to be spoiled someday by running an OD transmission.

You haven't lived until you've run 4.56 gears down the highway and only turn 2,500RPM @ 60mph.

Hey all, I'm contemplating a diff gear change from our factory 323 to 355.
I'm not looking for top of the line, but want quality and NA made, if possible. Next to zero track time(once for the bucket list)
Mfg recommendations??
Thanks
Steve
That’s interesting, I’ve been thinking about going the other direction, 355 to 323. The 355 is just a wee bit much for highway cruising.

Even my builder mentioned the lower end motive gears had issues... Problem is I didn't know, and box did not say where they were made. He looked at them and said they were the Motive performance gears, and these are good. I carefully broke them in, they have been quiet and trouble free 5 plus years now.

Hey all, I'm contemplating a diff gear change from our factory 323 to 355.
I'm not looking for top of the line, but want quality and NA made, if possible. Next to zero track time(once for the bucket list)
Mfg recommendations??
Thanks
Steve
I only know what I have been told by more than one rear end expert, and that is that NA manufactured gears are hit and miss, and that I should try to find an old spicer set in good shape or get a new set from Strange. One of those experts had a used OE spicer set on hand, and it cured my rear end whine.

I've set up a LOT of gears in my lifetime and so far, I've not seen a bit of difference in brands as far as gear noise. What I have seen is people who don't know how to properly set up gears leads to gear noise 100% of the time that I've seen. Usually, it's always incorrect pinion gear depth, because they don't know how to do it, or they just fling it in as is because they're lazy. Lots of times, I was able to cure gear noise be resetting the pinion depth correctly.

Yep, I agree, just weird how some stuff can be done right and other stuff can be junk. I believe this proves my point I've said before is that they have the capabilities/skills, it's the CEO's of the Companies that allow the **** quality/tolerances
Spot on!

If the companies having things made REGARDLESS of where, did real quality checks there would be less bad parts floating around.

My rear builder said something like overseas gears typically have only 3 surfaces and quality gears have 5. The number of faces equated to a quieter running gear.

The gears I got from Dr diff (not a brand name) he questioned but ultimately was pleased with

Don't be afraid of Italian made metal products. Their experience with metallurgy goes way back to Roman Empire times. Beretta for example, makes high quality firearms and is one of the oldest companies in the world.

100% Todd, that's why I was surprised in their reply email back to me there was no mention of Italy, strictly Korea.
Don't be afraid of Italian made metal products. Their experience with metallurgy goes way back to Roman Empire times. Beretta for example, makes high quality firearms and is one of the oldest companies in the world.

100% Todd, that's why I was surprised in their reply email back to me there was no mention of Italy, strictly Korea.
I'd be OK with South Korean. They're come a long way in their manufacturing capability in the past 25 years and they've never been an enemy of Canada or the U.S.

Oh yeah! PTC 9.5", flashes around 3500/3600 behind my 5.9, .218/.224, .517 on a 110, with 3:23's.

RRR also recommended the cam. Wish I would have gone with his suggestion to go 108 on the LSA...but I was scared, lol.
I don't think it wouldda been a night and day difference over 2 degrees.

I don't think it wouldda been a night and day difference over 2 degrees.
The few lsa shootout test out there seem to average something like 3.5 lbs-ft per 1° of lsa, the averages seemed a little greater above 110 than below. Obviously that's based on only limited samples wouldn't guarantee that's average holds across everybuild.

I think most of the complaints about offshore gears are for noise, not broken r&p.

Yoohoooo rabbithole.... @roccodart440 care to chime in about OD trans info? If I'm spending $$ on a TC, which could mean a trans upgrade due to mine being orig 67 904, then I'm willing to listen to OD "stuff".
Fyi, I don't want to do any tunnel mods/cutting.
@TrailBeast
@65 Dartman
@str12-340
Thanks
Steve
All of you need to be spoiled someday by running an OD transmission.

You haven't lived until you've run 4.56 gears down the highway and only turn 2,500RPM @ 60mph.

With no tunnel modifying, you're limited to the A833OD 4 speed. And if you don't have a four speed hump, then you have to modify the floor. There is no auto OD that fits without mods. Not even the GM 200.

Thanks Rob, adding a 4spd hump wouldn't be an issue. That would be hidden with my auto console anyway.
I just hate to cut and mod. I'm getting to an age where I would have to sell it in not too distant future and want any changes easily reversed back to original.
With no tunnel modifying, you're limited to the A833OD 4 speed. And if you don't have a four speed hump, then you have to modify the floor. There is no auto OD that fits without mods. Not even the GM 200.

Steve, I tell you what I'd do if I SLAP didn't want to cut the floor. I would get one of the A904 lockup versions and put in it. That would knock the RPM down 500-700 RPM I believe. May not sound like much, but it's a good bit.

-
Back