Diff gear recommendations

-
I've emailed Cass about options and where they're made.
Doctor Diff- manufacturer seems to depend on the ratio and carrier. Not sure of the country of origin on some of them, some (like the 3.55/741) seem to be his own brand. Could always ask him. Not a bad price, either.

Hey all, I'm contemplating a diff gear change from our factory 323 to 355.
I'm not looking for top of the line, but want quality and NA made, if possible. Next to zero track time(once for the bucket list)
Mfg recommendations??
Thanks
Steve

Steve, I'm considering the exact same thing so I'll ride along on your thread!!. Like you, I'm 99.9% street. Wouldn't mind taking it down the strip a time or two but really just want to have fun on the street. Don't do a ton of highway so that's not an issue.

I'm also running 3:23 Surgrip, but it's a 742 pig. 5.9 warmed up a bit with a PTC 9.5" convertor.

Please let us know what Cass says.

Cool! :thumbsup: Ride shotgun! As I mentioned the engine runs great but would like to add oomph. I probably drive 80-90% street or very short highway stints.
Steve, I'm considering the exact same thing so I'll ride along on your thread!!. Like you, I'm 99.9% street. Wouldn't mind taking it down the strip a time or two but really just want to have fun on the street. Don't do a ton of highway so that's not an issue.

I'm also running 3:23 Surgrip, but it's a 742 pig. 5.9 warmed up a bit with a PTC 9.5" convertor.

Please let us know what Cass says.

I went with 3.55s for my 741 case I used Motive performance gears. Very happy with the quality and they are quiet.

Your cam may be too big for lo end street performance and your rear tires too tall.
A stock style cam and stock rims / tires will probably get you what you want
This will pin you in your seat from 1000 rpm to well past highway speeds with 3.23
gears, be a blast to drive and probably get 20 mpg,
Mopar got the 340 A body cars right. Now if you are going racing you will need some changes

Keep the 323's and get a 3500 stall converter. . It will drive normal and kick *** power on acceleration. I went from 323's - 355's -391's -410's still had a hard time spinning a set of factory size tires riding the brake.

I installed a cheap 3500 GER converter and went right back to 323's . It torches the tires from a throttle stab with no brake.

All the 340 cars I bought in the 70's brake stalled at 2800- 3000 if they had a factory 340 converter. Put that same converter behind a 383 or 440 and it brake stalled at 3300 -3500. I did it many times on many different cars.

I had one RR that had a chrysler New Yorker trans put in. That converter turned the car into a real pooch. Back in the 80's the turbo action XX was the replacement for 340 and Hemi. advertised stall 3000- 3500

Believe me skip the gear change and get a converter. What trans do you have a 727 or 904 and what year?

I have used high stall converters and they will provide lo end tire spin but that's about it and for me the novelty wore off for street use. They are no fun driving on hilly or curvy roads at speeds. It's a learning experience and a constant battle driving through them which i grew to dislike. But will certainly provide you with burnouts from idle
and are well suited for racing.

-
Back