Don’t Convert to R134a

-

Winchester_Black

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a ‘72 Dart Custom a few months back with factory AC. The compressor was disconnected due to a severed wire, but I tapped the low side fill valve and some pressure came out so I ran a 12v jumper and the RV2 kicked right on.

Anyway, I used 1 can of Arctic Air System Conditioner/ leak sealant and 2 cans of their EnvoroSafe R12 refrigerant.. charged it to about 80lbs under load and replaced the damaged wiring.
AC blows Ice Cold.. smaller vents, but way colder than my modern Challenger R/T.
Don’t convert to R134a! This Envirosafe R12 kit with all three cans and a filler gauge was only $68 on Amazon.

How long ago was that? Wondering the longevity of the product for some reference.

Don't smoke or have an open flame working on it. It isn't R12. It is propane and butane so actually less "safe" than r12. Effective refrigerant though.

Don't smoke or have an open flame working on it. It isn't R12. It is propane and butane so actually less "safe" than r12. Effective refrigerant though.
Yeah I'll use propane when the fools force me off r134a but until then nothing is wrong with r134a. The issue is the new stuff is also flammable

Don't smoke or have an open flame working on it. It isn't R12. It is propane and butane so actually less "safe"

How long ago was that? Wondering the longevity of the product for some reference.
Good to know, I don’t smoke, but I think the system is well-sealed for now. Im hoping the product doesn’t degrade o-rings or seals

I just did this over the weekend. I’ll check back in after a few months with an update.

There are advantages to actual R12. It is a more efficient refrigerant
Well that ship has sailed long ago. Ain't no point in hunting down old r12. R134a keeps things cold I just have to use less of it than called for on what old systems called for on r12. Really the cost is the only factor for me. R134a goes up much more and I'm switching to propane

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that ship has sailed long ago. Ain't no point in hunting down old r12. R134a keeps things cold I just have to use less of it than called for on what old systems called for on r12. Really the cost is the only factor for me. R134a goes up much more and I'm switching to propane
Thread clean up on aisle 9. Fixed! :thumbsup:

I can always find R12, so why in the hell would I use R134! Usually every swap meet I go to, there is some for sale.

There are dumber and less-dumb ways to do halfaѕѕed charge-ups of MVAC systems. Using highly flammable compounds in a system not designed or intended to contain them is the (much) dumber way, unless you wanna die in a fire.

Using other-than-appropriate nonflammable—or at least less flammable—compounds is the less-dumb way: Part I, Part II. (dude's entire channel is a time-suck if you like watching and learning from people who know WTF they're talking about/doing as they refurbish old obsolete machinery)

Remember, if there is anything other than a legitimate MVAC refrigerant (R12 or R134a) in your system, you are 100% on your own for repairs; no shop you would want anywhere near your car will touch a system with anything else in it, or if they will, it'll come with a hefty surcharge.

Last edited:
There are dumber and less-dumb ways to do halfaѕѕed charge-ups of MVAC systems. Using highly flammable compounds in a system not designed or intended to contain them is the (much) dumber way, unless you wanna die in a fire.

Using other-than-appropriate nonflammable compounds is the less-dumb way: Part I, Part II. (dude's entire channel is a time-suck if you like watching and learning from people who know WTF they're talking about/doing as they refurbish old obsolete machinery)

Remember, if there is anything other than a legitimate A/C refrigerant (R12 or R134a) in your system, you are 100% on your own for repairs; no shop you would want anywhere near your car will touch a system with anything else in it, or if they will, it'll come with a hefty
Im responding to this post because it’s the most inflammatory (lol)

I just have one question. Do you ever plan to buy a refrigerator made after 2022? Or eat in restaurant with a walk in cooler?
I’m only asking because r600 and r290 are propane and butane based refrigerants.. (everything is moving to this for environmental reasons)
and these are used in applications where open flame burners and vats of boiling oil are commonly placed in close proximity to them. Food for thought from a dumb guy..

I believe that the issue is that while those systems are designed for that refrigerant and a 50 year old r2 is not...

I just have one question. Do you ever plan to buy a refrigerator made after 2022? Or eat in restaurant with a walk in cooler?
I’m only asking because r600 and r290 are propane and butane based refrigerants.. (everything is moving to this for environmental reasons)
and these are used in applications where open flame burners and vats of boiling oil are commonly placed in close proximity to them. Food for thought from a dumb guy..
Yeah, but that's equipment actually designed for propane and butane based refrigerants. Automotive systems are not.

The amazing thing is that the butane/ propane are both hydrocarbon greenhouse gasses, making them ripe for the EPA to have some serious fun with their users.

Not only that, but ammonia is one of the most dangerous and toxic chemicals on earth, in the context of pressurized refrigeration systems. And back in the old days there some pretty toxic and dangerous stuff. Methyl chloride, and sulfur dioxide. Those make LPG look like child's play

Unfortunately, I have been exposed to most of this.
We are talking about two different operating systems. Static and mobile cooling.

Unfortunately, I have been exposed to most of this.
We are talking about two different operating systems. Static and mobile cooling.
As have I. Including carbon tetrachloride for several years. I'm surprised my hands haven't rotted off.

I just have one question. Do you ever plan to buy a refrigerator made after 2022?

Yup. I'm WFH today, at the kitchen table, and there's such a fridge about 10 feet away from me. Its charge is 60g (2.12 oz) of R600a.

I’m only asking because r600 and r290 are propane and butane based refrigerants.

It's R600a (isobutane) and R290a (isopropane), number one. Number two, fridges are not motor vehicles. The operating conditions are hugely different, and so are the safety factors and risks. There are plenty of refrigerants approved for use in certain applications and not in others, for that exact reason.

these are used in applications where open flame burners and vats of boiling oil are commonly placed in close proximity to them.
…in well-ventilated spaces much bigger than the passenger compartment of a car. This is a fine example of what "the operating conditions are hugely different, and so are the safety factors and risks" means.

Also, boiling oil—by itself—doesn't start fires.

Last edited:
R134a is $9 a can.

I bought four last weekend on sale at Rural King for $7 a can.

Hey, here y'go. Project Farm runs back:back performance and safety tests of R134a and one of the numerous brands of the hydrocarbon "replacement refrigerant" scam (discussed here):

-
Back