Dots at 6 and 12 but rotor not in right place.

-
Ok with the crank dot at 12 and the cam at 6 and # 1 piston at the top what stroke is it at now.I did like you are saying spunned it one more turn its now 12 and 12 and # 6 and #1 are at TDC but rotor points at # 2 the gear should point at # 1 right. I know i could start the fireing order at 2 but thats not what looks right.I have knot pulled the old cam out yet,so thanks for the help guys this is one thing that must be right the first time.

See the first response in the thread if you want the rotor lined up with where #1 should be per the manual....

Ok letsssss see if I am on the right track.When I install the new cam the crank dot at 12 and the cam dot at 6.Spinn over one more turn so the dots are 12 and 12, balancer should be at 0 on the timing tab #1 piston at TDC then drop my dist gear so it points at # 1 thats it, am I right.Ps I do not have the knowledge or have a degree wheel.So it will be installed stright up.

This is the way I have set up all my smallblocks in the past and I have never had a problem.
#1 at TDC
100_1115.jpg

100_1114.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1126.jpg

Correct, have the slot point toward the #1 intake port/intake bolt area. Should get you in the ballpark.

Thats what i figured the dots are 12 and 6 then the gear pointing at # 1 so whats the deal with the 12 and 12 dots one says one way but 360scamp our bacon lover showes pics of how i would of done it.Thanks 360scamp thats great picsssss.

Line up the dots like normal, the slot in the drive gear has no idea how you put in the distributor. It will fit pointing towards either #1 or #6. Where you point the rotor depends on the position of the dots.

12:00 crank, 6:00 cam - point rotor towards #6
12:00 crank, 12:00 cam - point rotor towards #1

The pic up above showes crank at 12 cam at 6, slot and rotor point at # 1. I am lost

And that the RIGHT way to put the drive in. Point the rotor toward the rear when engaged in the drive if it's set up that way. It's #1 or #6 ON THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP! Not the actual cylinders! If the marks are both at 12:00, point rotor forward... THAT'S IT!

The distributor will go in TWO ways, with the rotor pointing 180* away from each other.

Ok,just put the crankshaft at the 12 o clock position and the cam at the 6 o clock or 12 o clock position and all is good,pull the #1 spark plug and spin that puppie over with your finger in the hole......when you feel the compression,stop and spin it the rest of the way till the harmonic balancer lines up with the pointer on the timing cover........drop the distribtor intermediate shaft in so that the rotor button will point on the #1 cylinder on the engine block,then install the distributor and set it to where it has the points about to open and wire it up from there...it'll fire right up the first time.I might have been wrong with what I posted about the 6 or 12 position and some might have said or done the same thing,nobody here is trying to lead you wrong,half of us get confused typing what we know(meee)if it back fires thru the carb it's 180* out,just pull the distributor and rotate the rotor button 180* and it'll be purrin like a kitten and #1 will be pointin to #1,it's been a while since I had one in my face but I alway's did it at 6 and 12 with the balancer lined up with the pointer and the rotor pointin to #1 and no problem,bottom line........6 and 12 or 12 and 12 and you can button up the engine.intermediate shaft can be turned to line up with # 1 on the compression stroke and it'll be right....anyone disagree?

If you do like waggin says, and put your finger over the plug hole and bump it, and wait til you get compression, I GUARANTEE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR DOTS AT 12 AND 12. I will put money on it!!!!

Right now there are too many chefs in the kitchen.......

Ok,just put the crankshaft at the 12 o clock position and the cam at the 6 o clock or 12 o clock position and all is good,pull the #1 spark plug and spin that puppie over with your finger in the hole......when you feel the compression,stop and spin it the rest of the way till the harmonic balancer lines up with the pointer on the timing cover........drop the distribtor intermediate shaft in so that the rotor button will point on the #1 cylinder on the engine block,then install the distributor and set it to where it has the points about to open and wire it up from there...it'll fire right up the first time.I might have been wrong with what I posted about the 6 or 12 position and some might have said or done the same thing,nobody here is trying to lead you wrong,half of us get confused typing what we know(meee)if it back fires thru the carb it's 180* out,just pull the distributor and rotate the rotor button 180* and it'll be purrin like a kitten and #1 will be pointin to #1,it's been a while since I had one in my face but I alway's did it at 6 and 12 with the balancer lined up with the pointer and the rotor pointin to #1 and no problem,bottom line........6 and 12 or 12 and 12 and you can button up the engine.intermediate shaft can be turned to line up with # 1 on the compression stroke and it'll be right....anyone disagree?
I agree 6 and 12 Is no#1 compression stroke.12 and 12 is 180 out.The pictures are correct. Mark

LOL, I hope the pics are correct, I ran that motor without the T-ram for a long time set like that as a daily driver and it ran great!

This is the way I have set up all my smallblocks in the past and I have never had a problem.
#1 at TDC
100_1115.jpg

100_1114.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1126.jpg

this is exactly how i have always built mine just how i explained in my post and and it has never ever popped back through the carb unless the dist is in 180 out but even then i just pull the dist and flip it arround and try it again your distributer drive dont have to be pointing at any piston or another if you install it like this just make sure it is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire on the cap this aint rocket science guys

I think the hardest part of the whole job for me is finding my magnet on a stick so I can pull the dist drive gear and reset it.

yeah this stuff aint that complicated im just glad someone posted up some good pics to show the guy what he needs to know

Yep that pic is the way I did a 360 18 years ago.So that is how I plan to do it again.I just found it odd that someone befor me did not line the dist gear at #1.Thanks to 360scamp again you rock my fellow Canadian.

Pull the dist/oil pump drive and make it point towards #1 cylinder. The rotor will then line up where you want it.

It's a little trial and error to get the engagement point correct. Maybe watch when you pull it out to see how far you need to clock it so the slot ends up in the right spot

If it's a pre 76 360 the keyway in the dist. gear should point just right of #1 if it's a 76 or later 360 the keyway should point straight forward both while motor is at TDC.

FYI,......

Just did a timing chain on a 69 dodge dart.....guess what?????

When the dots are at 6/12 the distributor is pointing at #6. This is WITHOUT removing the distributor.

With all egos aside, let's deliver CORRECT info to the original poster.

I am lucky this thread was started and so many responses were added. I replaced the cam and ignorantly put the marks at 12 and 6, had no idea of the one rotation rule, tried to start it nothing except my engine shooting at me. Just tried today turning the rotor 180 and first hit of the key, magic... Thanks for the input even though this is not my thread. I feel like such a noob.

-
Back