Eagle crank

-
Not to get off topic but are there any all American crank companies left?

Sure there are.
But we're talking forged and billet cranks that start at 700 bucks and go into the thousands. Serious race stuff for serious race budgets.

My k1 assembly cost me 2600 bucks, and from my persepctive that's pretty damned pricey. It's nice, but damn man....and that's not even getting near the real top shelf stuff per se.

Not everyone has that kind of budget though.

This is where cheaper overseas stuff comes in. Fits the budget and NOT ALL OF IT IS BAD.

I just called Ohio. They are imported.:angry7: Mine was 700 bucks,plus shipping plus balancing.

If the cost is under $1200, it's imported. The differences aside from minor things like the diameter of the radius and sizes of counterweights are the final machining/finishing. Callies Dragonslayers are thier cheap line of forged, and they finish machine the cranks. I believe K1 also does this. Ohio is an importer but I believe they finish them or at least inspect them prior to shipping out. Scat/MP, Eagle, 440Source all have the finish work done overseas, which is where MOST of the issues come from as the quality control is not very good.

What do the mating surfaces of the main caps and block look like? Can you post a pic? What was the apprx horsepower?

Pan is back on and engine is almost done.....again. Now its 550 horse. Before it was 500 or so. I have a 6,000 chip in the msd,the cam is a 590 with it degreed in but with 3 degrees retard. It was a 11 1/2 to 1 engine, now it`s a 9 1/2 to 1. according to the computer program my builder is using, now it should be 550 horse. The builder is Steve Harvey and a little help from Radar with a little more work on the 519 heads. He has a machine shop with everything you could imagine in it.
They are in Waterloo,Iowa. It has J&E pistons.

915s and 11 1/2 :1 should be a no brainer. Do you leave on a chip or brake? It's odd to me that a new crank couldnt take that regardless of the casting plant's location. A factory cast can make that and live. Weird.

Never got to take it to the track. If I got on it, I would foot brake it or flat foot it. You could still see the cross hatch in the cyls yet. It was all brand new, not even broke in yet. I`m surprised Eagle didn`t want it back just to look at it......

Ohio machines/checks there stuff, at least thats what I've been told.
An old employe told me that once in a great while they'd et one with oval'd journals.

I wonder what happened to HTC Hank the crank crankshafts or Kellog crankshafts? they were suppose to be some good cranks back in the 70s and 80s

Ohio machines/checks there stuff, at least thats what I've been told.
An old employe told me that once in a great while they'd et one with oval'd journals.

If only they would check their email or answer the phone....
I love a company that has a contact page and doesnt respond to someone using their contact information.

I was considering taking a drive down there to pick up a new assembly, but after that, I would rather whittle a crank out of driftwood.

i have heard to many bad things about chinese cranks and rods my machinst told me he has guys come in with eagle rods to get specs right could have bought better set to start with i bought callies magnum all amercan made cheaper callies chines magnum crank is pricey 2100 dollars oliver rods 1200 do not want holes in my block

The machining is important for bearing life and failure from an overheating bearing but cracks like this that are either design, alloy or most likley heat treat. Too much martensite in the grain structure makes a hard but brittle crank. A stock 440 crank in cheap 1053 alloy with 0.030" ground off of it and ground through the heat treat will hold alot of power and not break. You can do way more dammage with a bad heat treat then none at all.

I hate to say it but if you don't like the fact that only import cranks are available it's our own faults for chasing the cheap parts and running everything overseas and running the american foundries and crank mfgs out of business. I build new model hemis for a living and the only aftermarket forgings available are all imports we don't even have a choice short of a billet. fortunately, the import cranks on the new hemis seem to hold up to 1000+ HP but that could change.

One thing I did notice from the pics of the broke crank is they didn't put an actual radius on the fillet. It's a straight angle fillet rather than a radius which still leaves stress concentrations at the corners and weakens the crank. In this case it's not where it broke but still something to look at.

That sure sucks kikgas. I am getting close to finishing a 408 with a Eagle crank I bought a few yrs. back. After I have read a few posts from guys having problems like this I had the crank fully checked out and it was perfect right out of the box. Don't know if their quality used to be better yrs. ago (it's 4 yrs. old) or I just got lucky.

Their latest response to me! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! I called customer service and they SAID the machine work WAS done overseas and this jerk sent me this!
I'm not going to get into a useless pissing match with you. I am part of customer service, and I know for a fact we do not tell anyone that because it is not true. Some initial machining is done overseas, but journal sizing and all critical machining is done here.

You obviously have made up your mind and there is no sense trying to convince you otherwise.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:18 AM
Subject: RE: I was wondering if all of your products were this good???

Customer service said all machining was done overseas

Well, in his defense.. If I got a note such as yours, I'd say the same thing. You get more flies with honey... Or at least without talking through clenched teeth...lol. The cranks have been out a while so getting it back isnt going to change anything, and you already had stated you bought a competitor's. So there's no point in continuing.

I don't know. It's between you and them and the initial email isnt posted (nor does it really need to be). It really doesnt matter anyway. Does it?

Well, in his defense.. If I got a note such as yours, I'd say the same thing. You get more flies with honey... Or at least without talking through clenched teeth...lol. The cranks have been out a while so getting it back isnt going to change anything, and you already had stated you bought a competitor's. So there's no point in continuing.
Please explain..... Such a note as mine? Now you say that "I don't know. It's between you and them and the initial email isnt posted (nor does it really need to be). It really doesnt matter anyway. Does it?"
Your statements make no sense to me.... I was just warning about MY dealings with EAGLE! Take it however you want to. If you don`t like what I post,It`s simple, don`t read them!

It wasn't meant to piss you off. So please accept my apologies. I thought more about it and felt it became a moot point. I got nothing against you. It's just from the two emails you posted I feel that I handle things differently and I've found communicating in your manner unproductive. An opinion you obviously don't share.

what did I say that was wrong?:angry7:

Well, I can point out a few things but I haven't seen all the emails. And this isn't meant to be derrogatory towards you, just a different way of handling a situation. I understand you are upset but it's better to keep that in check because usually when you tell someone you are going to start bad mouthing their product on all the internet forums you know of, that isn't condusive to getting any kind of compensation from them, in fact it would instantly turn me off to you as it did them.

If I have a problem with something, or someone I'll try to play to their compassionate side. Something like, You know I spent a lot of money on your products and while I understand there is no warranty for such a thing I'd hope you could help me out in some way. I did a lot of research before I bought your product and I thought yours was the best for the money. I understand things happen but I don't see how, with my combination and the few miles it was something I caused. So I was hoping you guys could help me out here as my funds are about tapped out and all I have to show for it is a broken crank.

Even if they sent you another crank and you didn't want to use it you could sell it on fleabay and recoop some of your loss. Something is better than nothing, right?

Now if they still say no ask for a supervisor and repeat your sad story until you get something or you don't. If you don't, then you can tell them to go pound sand where the sun doesn't shine and that every forum in the world will hear about what crap they sell.

Just my $.02, YMMV. And good luck with your Ohio Crank crankshaft. I'm seriously considering one of those too.

I was mad damnit. I had a LOT of money in that 150 mile trip. No matter HOW a customer is, the customer service STILL should have handled if in a different manner. Maybe I was wrong, if so I will admit it. I told them I wasn`t trying to be a *** and that I was upset and apologized right over the phone. Didn`t matter. I waited a month before I called so that I wouldn`t be so upset when I called. Remember I have spoke to them as well as emails. A professional in the "customer service department" shouldn`t let a customer get them mad anyway. If that was the case a LOT of businesses would be belly up. Either way my rotating assembly is JUNK and I have since changed to another brand with my fingers crossed it will last this summer for our local cruises and car shows..... The customer service should be better than the customer no matter what........In my towing business I deal with the public ALL OF THE TIME sometimes 24 hrs a day and would never treat someone that way.

I don't blame you and as I said it wasn't meant to be derogatory towards you, I know you were upset. I agree with you whole heartedly they should have handled you better. No arguement with me on that it's just that to the few interactions that we were privy to it looked like you might have handled it a little better. Like I said though we don't know all the communication that went on so nobody's judging you OK? Sorry to hear about what happened, I know how bad that sucks.

I wish you the best of luck with your new stuff, hope it works out for you.

I know ya wasn`t and the input is very much appreciated and maybe I should have handled it in a better manner.

-
Back