eBay frustration

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Last night I bought a part on a "buy it now". Shipping to Canada was listed at $20, no problem. I double checked, no import/export charges listed. Paypal showed the same, $20. Paid. Done?
Today, I get an email from the seller telling me the shipping was $39.98 and I only paid $20.
I've bought lots of stuff on ebay, and I've had some cross-border shipping hassles before, but I've never had anybody try to double the price of shipping after the auction is over.

It's not ebay,..

I just ordered 2 manuals from Mancini, cost of the books, $10 each,, $20 total,, they were kind enuff to email me, and inform me shipping was a 38.96 for across border.. I had it shipped to Blaine for $5.86.., and used "Sea Wings" to get it to Pat Bay airport, $17.00.. no duties...

hope it helps

Last night I bought a part on a "buy it now". Shipping to Canada was listed at $20, no problem. I double checked, no import/export charges listed. Paypal showed the same, $20. Paid. Done?
Today, I get an email from the seller telling me the shipping was $39.98 and I only paid $20.
I've bought lots of stuff on ebay, and I've had some cross-border shipping hassles before, but I've never had anybody try to double the price of shipping after the auction is over.

The seller has to ship if that is what showed up and is marked paid. His only other option is to get you to agree to cancel the auction or risk negative feedback. It isn't your fault he screwed up.

The seller has to ship if that is what showed up and is marked paid. His only other option is to get you to agree to cancel the auction or risk negative feedback. It isn't your fault he screwed up.

This ^^^^^^^

It's irrelevant if he knew the shipping was wrong or not. The items was purchased and agreed upon on a specified price. If the shipping was FREE as we have all seen, it doesn't mean it's wrong. The seller could have set it at that price on purpose.

If in his auction he specified that international could be extra, then so be it. Otherwise he is obligated to sell it to you at that price or as mentioned, cancel the auction. You don't get to change the terms after the auction is over.

I don't use ebay anymore because of shipping I have seen items that could be put in a regular envelope and wanting 29.95 shipping to Canada . and many things I want to purchase that are under 20.00 and the shipping is 30 plus dollars . and I also been charged 20.00 for shipping and when the package got here clearly marked on it id 5.95 shipping. so I refuse to use these scam artists any more.

The latest message from the seller was that "the eBay shipping calculator for Canada is commonly incorrect".
I'm interested on the thought that I knew the shipping was wrong. Based on what? I thought $20 to ship a cloth headliner was fair.

.. always e-mail the seller and get a shipping total prior the end of the auction.

The latest message from the seller was that "the eBay shipping calculator for Canada is commonly incorrect".
I'm interested on the thought that I knew the shipping was wrong. Based on what? I thought $20 to ship a cloth headliner was fair.

I would tell him that issue is between him and eBay. You bought the headliner, paid the correct price and shipping as listed.

Shipping out of the U.S. has gone nuts ordered 3 books from Mancini and was quoted $47.95 for shipping didn't want to go to Menke's to pick the up where the shipping would have been $5 so I cancelled the order. Don't know what happened to have the rates go so stupid, I have always said you got to pay to play but it the rates have gotten crazy!

I still buy through eBay, when I'm unable to locate the part in Canada. It then becomes a desperation purchase, and I pay the overly inflated shipping costs. It does suck but sometimes its the only way to go.

I'm fortunate that I don't need to deal with this problem as I have everything shipped to the U.S. I live 10 minutes from the border.

If your close, I'd advise doing the same. get it set up.

x10 I'm pretty sure even legalities make it his problem. Contact eBay and get them involved

Well, I just got an email with tracking number, so it appears I won't be having to pay any additional freight costs after all.

not to defend the seller, but i run an ebay store for my job and EBAY has been screwing up shipping alot in the past couple of weeks. the store i run does not do free shipping period. ebay keeps changing our auctions to free shipping at the time of sale. other ebay folk having the same issue.

I don't use ebay anymore because of shipping I have seen items that could be put in a regular envelope and wanting 29.95 shipping to Canada . and many things I want to purchase that are under 20.00 and the shipping is 30 plus dollars . and I also been charged 20.00 for shipping and when the package got here clearly marked on it id 5.95 shipping. so I refuse to use these scam artists any more.

there is a good reason for that...ebay doesn't get a cut off the shipping price, only the sale price

i for one (like most buyers) don't really care when i spend 50 dollars on an item if 5 of those dollars go to shipping or 45, as long as i find 50 shipped a fair price

so, if a seller claims shipping is 30 dollars instead of 5 that is 25 dollars less he has to pay ebay a fee on

in short, if i sell you a product for 100 dollars and charge 50 for shipping i clear a bigger profit then if i sell it for 150 and offer free shipping, even though the cost to you is the same

No he does not have to ship. Just as I posted earlier, he can refund the money, take the negative feedback, care less, & re list the item.

I made five phone calls with eBay telling them that it was their responsibility to enforce the transaction. It does NOT touch or hurt their bottom line, they don't care and the seller doesn't care either. A commercial seller that does the same can also ban you from buying their stuff automatically thru eBay for something as trivial as a neutral feedback.

there is a good reason for that...ebay doesn't get a cut off the shipping price, only the sale price

i for one (like most buyers) don't really care when i spend 50 dollars on an item if 5 of those dollars go to shipping or 45, as long as i find 50 shipped a fair price

so, if a seller claims shipping is 30 dollars instead of 5 that is 25 dollars less he has to pay ebay a fee on

in short, if i sell you a product for 100 dollars and charge 50 for shipping i clear a bigger profit then if i sell it for 150 and offer free shipping, even though the cost to you is the same

charging anyone 25.00 to ship something you can throw in an envelope and put a 0.75 stamp on isn't good for anyone

Ebay does charge for shipping fees-- they have a separate fee to tack on the shipping charges now-- & they get pay-pal fees to boot, Lawrence

charging anyone 25.00 to ship something you can throw in an envelope and put a 0.75 stamp on isn't good for anyone

EBay's automatic shipping calculations are often crap. It's hard/impossible to change it when listing.

2 The seller gets gouged for shipping across the border.
( I shipped Steve a shoebox full of $30 painting masks-cost $50, they weigh nothing)

3 SOme sellers know that the shipping is crap and identify the problem in the add or don't, and some sellers haven't experienced the gouge yet.

It's the sellers that know but don't say anything plus the innocent/ignorant (NO OFFENSE) buyers that combine into a problem- a problem that eBay could care less about.

I could blame ebay for the shipping price gouge but shipping from mancinis for example is also inflated. If the items are shipped to a parcel service the shipping costs are minimal and in most cases the same if I take a road trip get some cheap gas and come home after paying duty and pst and gst.

I have noticed now on ebay the extra charges as well. Anything im interested in i always email seller first, make sure it goes U>S post and a complete total before i nuy. I state in my email i will bid but if there happens to be any extra charges i will not fullfill my end......So far so good. Mind you its only been 2 transactions and they seem to be very understanding. JM2C and i also agree with shipping something for $20 thats only $5 but watch out..:protest:shipping and HANDLING charges can apply:protest:

I think the the topper was 40 something for blank keys from New Hampshire..the seller told me that E-bay was forcing him to charge this amount..oh ?

I sell alot on Ebay , I do not allow Canadian transactions due to the issues with payment and shipping

-
Back