Electronic Distributors From Rick Ehrenberg

-
I'm running one of Rick's distributors on a stock, tired 340. No issues for me.
Lots of people have them. My only argument is that they are all curved alike and it's impossible for them to be optimized for every engine. If you consider them a starting point, they can be very nice. Much the same as what Mopar Performance offered years ago.

Not junk, his ecu in particular comes highly recommended. I had the FABO distributor "guru" go thru mine and was the biggest waste of time and money. 2 pickups later and then ghosted me when he realized his fuckup.To each their own.
So these are junk? I need something for my 66 383 and I'm done with points

[/URL]

Post #38 is spot on.

This is a photo from one of his small block distributor ads marketed under the HIREV7500 brand. Do a search for this part number (DST3890). I could be wrong, but it seems like he takes an offshore repro unit, and just installs a metal thrust collar with a couple shims and his generic "performance curve." - something anyone can easily do. His ads are also very carefully worded - "100% Chrysler engineered internals," "original '70s Chrysler 'Indianapolis plant' bulletproof design." Nice salesmanship, but count me out.

1728614053056.png

The Hi Rev boxes are all advertised as made in USA. Jegs carries and advertises them as such.....as well as everywhere else I've see. Is it true? I'd like to think so, but I don't know for sure. I do know the one on my car has been running three years now with narry a hiccup. Even @halifaxhops now says they're good.
They seem the most reliable out there have only heard of one dying so far. Run from anything MOPAR AUTHORISED!

Lots of people have them. My only argument is that they are all curved alike and it's impossible for them to be optimized for every engine. If you consider them a starting point, they can be very nice. Much the same as what Mopar Performance offered years ago.
is the dist. at least as good that would come on a HP car back in the day? as long as its good as a stocker I'd be happy. I gotta get this thing running and worry about the fine details later. As long as its a good unit I'll be ok. I would have got the mopar kit but its a orange box and I'd like to rev to 6000 at least

Post #38 is spot on.

This is a photo from one of his small block distributor ads marketed under the HIREV7500 brand. Do a search for this part number (DST3890). I could be wrong, but it seems like he takes an offshore repro unit, and just installs a metal thrust collar with a couple shims and his generic "performance curve." - something anyone can easily do. His ads are also very carefully worded - "100% Chrysler engineered internals," "original '70s Chrysler 'Indianapolis plant' bulletproof design." Nice salesmanship, but count me out.

I seen some variances as well but who makes a stock dist in North America anymore?
I know from recent activities the chinese dist. are not set up well and the vac advance sucks. I been though it with chev and ford.
I appeciate the member with his rebuilding and such I just cant afford it. Being in Canada makes it worse.
and that nylon collar? I thought I was seeing things but wow I seen that on the cardone ones and such and thought it was a lighting issue. It really is nylon on some makes!

thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
I have one of Rick's(not installed) if you want pics of anything in particular? I was just about going to drop it in then figured out the pickup was the problem I was having in other distributor.
is the dist. at least as good that would come on a HP car back in the day? as long as its good as a stocker I'd be happy. I gotta get this thing running and worry about the fine details later. As long as its a good unit I'll be ok. I would have got the mopar kit but its a orange box and I'd like to rev to 6000 at least

I seen some variances as well but who makes a stock dist in North America anymore?
I know from recent activities the chinese dist. are not set up well and the vac advance sucks. I been though it with chev and ford.
I appeciate the member with his rebuilding and such I just cant afford it. Being in Canada makes it worse.
and that nylon collar? I thought I was seeing things but wow I seen that on the cardone ones and such and thought it was a lighting issue. It really is nylon on some makes!

It's as good as any new store bought unit today. It's probably better in that it at least has a minimal performance curve. You will have to tune it more precisely for your specific application for optimum performance, as you would any distributor.

Can't speak for the distributor but have bought some of his stuff which was exactly as he described and for some of the "problem solver" parts, did exactly that - solve the problem. Being the former tech éditer of the now defunct Mopar Action magazine, he knows what he's talking about.
Same here. I've bought a few things from him over the years and have always been happy. Years back, I even got some tech advice for my 2.2 Lebaron turbo car. He's an honest, enthusiastic, willing-to-help Mopar guy.

what about this? $10 cheaper for me and includes the coil
if you're looking for a whole kit, i'd buy the one off e-burg

coil is whatever, you can get that at rock or local parts store.

if you shop on price alone you'll be disappointed every time. pay a little more and get customer support after the fact. or pay a lot more and have one done up to match your set up specifically AND have customer support after the fact as well.

what about this? $10 cheaper for me and includes the coil
Those have a Mallory YH type advance mechanism. Very difficult to get a really good curve in them due to the design.

Rick's at least is essentially a Chrysler type advance. I've only had one person measure and share timing curves from one of Rick's distributors, but at least the adance curve will be ballpark correct for your 383. 2 bbl and 4 bbl should have difference advance curves. A search should turn up previous discussions about what the these look like. Getting the timing about right is more important that creating fireball sparks..

Same here. I've bought a few things from him over the years and have always been happy. Years back, I even got some tech advice for my 2.2 Lebaron turbo car. He's an honest, enthusiastic, willing-to-help Mopar guy.
Same here. I've gotten a few sets of red silicone spark plug tube seals for the slant 6 from him and other odds and ends. He's a good guy.

Those have a Mallory YH type advance mechanism. Very difficult to get a really good curve in them due to the design.

Rick's at least is essentially a Chrysler type advance. I've only had one person measure and share timing curves from one of Rick's distributors, but at least the adance curve will be ballpark correct for your 383. 2 bbl and 4 bbl should have difference advance curves. A search should turn up previous discussions about what the these look like. Getting the timing about right is more important that creating fireball sparks..

I just had some weights made for the YH advance mechanism.

I want to see if I can get a workable curve with it.

Are the High-Rev 7500 boxes any good? Or just junk like all the other new ones
I installed a RE distributor after installing a FBO timing limiter plate. I also used the Hi Rev 7500 ECM. It crapped out within 1200 miles. I had to tow my car home....

IMG_7730.JPG

On the side of the road I changed the ballast, then the ECM and neither helped. It turned out the spare ECM and ballast that I had were also bad!
At home, I swapped in other stuff from my stash and it fired right up. To confirm, I tried the Hi Rev on another car and it wouldn't start either.

Hi Rev 7500.JPG

HR 23A.JPG

Last edited:
I installed a RE distributor after installing a FBO timing limiter plate. I also used the Hi Rev 7500 ECM. It crapped out within 1200 miles. I had to tow my car home....

View attachment 1716315234

On the side of the road I changed the ballast, then the ECM and neither helped. It turned out the spare ECM and ballast that I had were also bad!
At home, I swapped in other stuff from my stash and it fired right up. To confirm, I tried the Hi Rev on another car and it wouldn't start either.

View attachment 1716315236

View attachment 1716315237
So a Hirev is as good as a MP chrome box? :poke:
:lol:

I just had some weights made for the YH advance mechanism.

I want to see if I can get a workable curve with it.
You saw Tuner's post about modifying the weights. I haven't tried it. Be interested in what you did and what you find. I haven't put in the time and effort to figure the details of what is needed to change the ceter of mass and geometry to come closer to compensate for the force increasing exponentially with rpm.

-
Back