EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Racecars

-
and like he said NEVER underestimate the the sheer MAGNITUDE of stupid in govn't., , especially in the EPA!!!!!?????? pitiful!!!

The EPA wont be happy till we are all driving Electric golf Carts. Scary indeed.

can we get rid of the EPA

I'm in. Now to contact my reps.

We'll have to keep our Red Barchettas in the barn for our nephews to come visit....

[ame]https://youtu.be/uukZgfHZIoc[/ame]

Here's the reply I got from SEMA on the language in the proposal.

To follow is the operative section of the proposed EPA regulation and a link to the proposal itself.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2014-0827-0002

67. Section 86.1854-12 is amended by adding paragraph (b)(5) to read as follows: _ 86.1854-12 Prohibited acts. * * * * * (b) * * * (5) Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

So maybe you american folks can educate us canadians.

I don't know. The REALITY is this in the U.S.

Starting with all 68 models except some trucks (generally 3/4T) It is illegal FEDERALLY to remove emissions equipment or do any engine modifications which would increase emissions. THIS HAS BEEN in effect since 68

The CATCH is there has never been any FEDERAL enforcement, so while such things are illegal, it has been left to the states to do "whatever."

In Idaho state, for a very very long time, there was no smog testing or enforcement. At some point (I think) two of the "more southern" counties implemented smog testing / inspections. There was talk of doing so "up here" in the panhandle a few years ago, based on the argument that winds brought smog from the Spokane Valley to N Id, causing "unacceptable" air pollution.

So I don't know how this changes things, except that it now appears that the EPA / Feds might be thinking about enforcing what "they had."

Bear in mind that Federal regulations are bullshit, generally........because they are often written by Fed agencies, and see no approval by Congress. This essentially, is creating a "mini" dictatorship, writing regulations which have the force of Federal law, with NO oversight by Congress

Why all these regs have not be summarily thrown out is beyond me.

EPA, FAA, FCC, FDA, on and on.......all do the same thing, and of course now we have the TSA who as far's I'm concerned is the worst of the lot

I don't think so, Tim..

Define "...strictly for use at the track.."

^^LOL says the guy from the state with the shittiest EPA laws in the nation^^

Well here's what I sent my Senator, guess I will wait for the guys in the black suits!!
"Dear Senator Portman,
It's recently been brought to my attention that the EPA is proposing regulation that will have a broad impact on the aftermarket/performance automotive industry in this country. Hidden in the proposal which is titled Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles; Phase 2
There is a section that drives at the heart of a long standing American culture, this being the modification of cars for off-road and competition use. I find it very dishonest to title a proposal for Medium and Heavy Duty eninges and then slip in something that will impact a great many people under this guise. Here is the paragraph I'm referring to

67. Section 86.1854-12 is amended by adding paragraph (b)(5) to read as follows: _ 86.1854-12 Prohibited acts. * * * * * (b) * * * (5) Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

I feel this will open Pandora's box to an all out assault on a long standing tradition. With all the issues we face in this world why would an entity such as the EPA be willing to invest time and resources to pursue something that has such a small impact? In earlier legislation these types of vehicles and actions were exempted. Right now there is a petition on change.org that has received more than 15000 signatures in 19 hours against this action.
https://www.change.org/p/president-...ent-the-epa-from-banning-vehicle-modification

Somewhere along the line these power grabs that tear at the culture and history of this great nation has to end.

I will close by asking what your stance is on this proposal and what I as a voter can do do block this agenda? "

For those of you that believe this or that won't happen, as has been stated, look at what has already happened. I honestly would not be surprised to find out the auto manufactures are a driving force behind this.

I signed the petition.

The aftermarket auto industry has contributed to the research & development of thousands of safety advancements as well as many other improvements in the vehicles we all drive. The freedom to express one's individuality should be a right considered worth protecting. Recreational motor sports have been around ever since cars were invented and was preceded by horse & buggy racing.

The implementation of a sweeping ban on the modification of off road vehicles would destroy tens of thousands of jobs around the country and reduce the quality of life for those who enjoy participating in such sports.

The original intent of our government was not to subjugate it's people to the dictates of tyrants but rather to provide a safe haven for freedom. The EPA hasn't always embodied the spirit set forth by the founding fathers of this country. This is just one more example of their overreach.

Here's the reply I got from SEMA on the language in the proposal.

To follow is the operative section of the proposed EPA regulation and a link to the proposal itself.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2014-0827-0002

Even the wording is difficult.

"certified motor vehicles" "certified motor vehicle engines". Define certified. Then they go on to say "anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason" so is changing my rims considered modifying a motor vehicle?

The whole thing is just full of problems. It won't survive anything in my opinion.

I don't know. The REALITY is this in the U.S.

That just sounds like a mix mash of whatever works but isn't enforced so make new laws that will be enforced. What a mess. I'm surprised it got that far in america, if they tried the same thing with firearms something tells me there would be more pushback.

The big change in the law is that even where they do strict emissions testing like California you can have a race car without plates that you trailer to and from the track that doesn't apply to the testing/modification rules. Now you couldn't do that, or similarly build a total off-road buggy, or monster truck, or wherever. This would apply even to professional sports like stock car racing (it would really have to be stock car, or go back to 1967 which would probably make me watch it again)! The EPA could just as easily regulate emissions like tire smoke as well if they wanted with a stroke of a pen, just like they have regulated CO2 emissions which of course plants would die without and every animal on the planet produces naturally. I love how they went after VW for scamming the government (if they were ranchers hanging out on public land they would have probably shot them, who knows, if I were a VW executive I'd be Leary stopping at a road block) so the emission of concern there was NOX. So it's a scientific fact a single bolt of lightning makes the same amount of NOX naturally that that dirty TDI makes in 20 cross country road trips. There are an estimated 1.5 billion lightning strikes per year! On top for that if man caused global warming is true NOX reverses it and causes global cooling, they should force us to drive leaned out TDIs. Oh and that's the reason they polluted more, they were tuned for maximum MPG so they were helping reduce or dependency on foreign oil.
The EPA doesn't give a crap about the environment, they are there to increase government authority over states, companies, and now individuals.

Doesn't CA already regulate off road "stuff" like lawn mowers? With that in mind, there is I guess, "no limit" Pretty soon they will be regulating how much your horse, cows, and chickens sheeeeeiiiiiaaaauuuutttt

That just sounds like a mix mash of whatever works but isn't enforced so make new laws that will be enforced. What a mess. I'm surprised it got that far in america, if they tried the same thing with firearms something tells me there would be more pushback.

Thank the founders there is a 2nd amendment or they would have been long gone. Some founding fathers didn't want to do any of the bill of rights. Their opinion was, hey the authority of the federal government was already clearly defined, Post office, coining money, running the military, etc. and everything else was left to the states to set their own rules. Who needs a bill of rights saying a few more specific things the federal government can't do when it already says they can't do any of those things? At least with Prohibition the hjad the respect of the Constitution to know they didn't have the power to regulate alcohol at the federal level so they passed a real constitutional amendment. Those days are long gone, the feds want to do something, they do it. Now they don't even involve Congress and the king just speaks and it is done. This is why someone pointed out you can change this with a vote. What is passed this way can be erased this way. There are a couple of people running who would do this and are therefore hated by Washington DC. Trumpnis sort of a wild card, he may reverse some of this stuff, or he just might make it worse. I prefer Cruz or Paul but Paul is now out. Carson would try and do it but I'm not sure he is tough enough to put up with the media and left wing assult that would follow. I'd still be happy with Trump and at least the possibility of it happening. Cruz would be a guarantee. Maybe the best would be Trump for 8 with Cruz as the VP then Cruz for 8 more. Happy days would be here again!

Doesn't CA already regulate off road "stuff" like lawn mowers?

Hell no, you cant buy a 'dirty' 2 stroke anything, but there is NO regulation on running those older stinking mowers, weedwackers or backpack leaf blowers..because the 'operators' are a protected class here and banning those 'tools of the trade' would be discriminatory as it would disproportionally impact a certain group of people. Sort of like impounding cars of unlicensed drivers here. It depends on what language the operator speaks if its car gets impounded, I kid you not. :protest:

back to the EPA thing, I always wondered how the CHP (or any city or state entity) had jurisdiction on a federal mandate. Kinda like the Feds having to oversee any immigration (sorry that had to come back) enforcement on a local level, or lack of. So are we going to have to stand in front of a Marshall with our modified vehicle?

These are the same idiots who want to CRUSH all pre 1980 cars. Someday they will try!

pre 80 cars are not very populate in traffic. Such a small number, very small number, why would they even bother..... I think too often crabby folks take their personal pet peeves and want to implement them into law. I see it at times in a small town board. What a shame.........

I really think this is focused at eliminating the "loophole" for DPF delete kits on diesel vehicles. That said, (you guys have clearly pointed this out) this has implications for the entire automotive aftermarket industry.
Regardless of their agenda here there is one thing that it certain. The EPA is one power hungry beast.

-
Back