Exploding Torqueflites

-
Yes true. We used to do it in Stock and Super Stock. It takes some special parts to do it. You can not just put the 904 internals into a 727 case. Pro Trans in Riverside, California has all the information on this. They also have a straight cut low gear package for the 727. I use it to get my Cordoba 360 of the line.
The reason to use the 904 internals in the 727 was to get that last possible tenth or hundredth when racing in NHRA. This is called "CHEATING". Won some races. Not worth the expense, unless you are racing Stock or Super Stock. However, I'm sure that NHRA is wise to the practice, as they were closing in on it around the early 70's. That is my 2cents. Good luck on your in devours.
joemac1j

That's what took off part of Big Daddy's foot too, right? Or was that a motor explosion?

I saw one of those blow up first hand, once. That's why I've got a big ol' blanket on my tranny.

And yeah, I know, I've got the wrong valve body. But I'm sticking with it for now.

Pretty sure that was a manual tranny flywheel. Which is why there are SFI approved flywheels and explosion-proof bellhousings. I could be wrong, through.

dang this is scary stuff. raced mopars in super-stock for years even built a few racing trans for modified and rails and never had this problem. none of my tranmissions had the low-reverse ban apply. guess it is better to be lucky than good

Use the 3 foot rule...... When you put it in gear.... Roll it 3 feet before you stab it....

does anyone sell the instructions on how to build the reverse pattern valve body for the o.d. chry. transmission. used to build the 3 speeds when i worked at the dealer in the 60s-70s. one could buy the instructions from chry then. dont know how many i did but it was a bunch. it really isnt hard to do on the 3 speed.

Great thread. My buddy damn near killed himself two weeks ago when the 727 let go. Shrapnel went forward of the firewall and cut the fuel line. Up in flames it went. Two weeks before that he took a tooth off the ring gear and fouled and axle. He rebuilt everything in the rear but never opened the trans. Second time to the line it let loose. Be safe out there

#1 thing...if you ever break a driveline part....u joint..driveshaft...rear gear..axles while a 727 TF is in low gear...you must...must take the trans apart and check the rear sprag rollers and springs....OR it will go boom ......

a 904 will not go boom...but the sprag still needs to be checked ....the roller and springs can be bought less then 5 dollars on the internet...

Cost of a steel front drum, $550-$600
Cost of your feet, priceless.

I have a Billet Aluminum front drum in my 727 that is done and on the stand. They are about the same price and less rotating mass than the Steel.

I exploded one all over the starting line in Tulsa one time, I never did a neutral start in my life .

I have a Billet Aluminum front drum in my 727 that is done and on the stand. They are about the same price and less rotating mass than the Steel.

I use steel because of all the street miles, alloy with a steel band is also available. I don't build performance 727's for anyone unless they put an upgraded drum in it. Needless to say I don't do a lot of 727's, but when I do, I at least know that I won't have to deal with a footless customer coming back on me...

does anyone sell the instructions on how to build the reverse pattern valve body for the o.d. chry. transmission. used to build the 3 speeds when i worked at the dealer in the 60s-70s. one could buy the instructions from chry then. dont know how many i did but it was a bunch. it really isnt hard to do on the 3 speed.
been a long time since i asked this question and didnt mean to hi-jack the thread but looks like there would be an answer out there somewhere

:

bakerlite : I don`t do a lot of 727`s , but when I do , I use steel. (lol- beer commercial)

been a long time since i asked this question and didnt mean to hi-jack the thread but looks like there would be an answer out there somewhere

I'm not a "trans guy" but I tried to look for this too. I found some documenation in some of the Mopar Performance books, but they reference Mopar part numbers (valve plates) long since discontinued.

I'm not a "trans guy" but I tried to look for this too. I found some documenation in some of the Mopar Performance books, but they reference Mopar part numbers (valve plates) long since discontinued.
i hope that quote wasnt aimed at me. i have always tried to answer any question i have been asked. if it was u know what u can do with it.

i hope that quote wasnt aimed at me. i have always tried to answer any question i have been asked. if it was u know what u can do with it.
I was just reading all of these old posts. I did explode one in the hemi belvedere," all over the starting line " at Tulsa one time. It had a stock drum in it, was full manual valve body. If I remember right, we had destroyed an 8 3/4 rear the week before. (went to a dana after 4 of them) . The 727 I have in my 505' wedge has low band apply and is a full automatic, so how will I start in second gear w/ this one. It will still go in low gear even if I put it in second to start with, won`t it ? TRANS EXPERTS -KICK IN HERE ??????????????

I was just reading all of these old posts. I did explode one in the hemi belvedere," all over the starting line " at Tulsa one time. It had a stock drum in it, was full manual valve body. If I remember right, we had destroyed an 8 3/4 rear the week before. (went to a dana after 4 of them) . The 727 I have in my 505' wedge has low band apply and is a full automatic, so how will I start in second gear w/ this one. It will still go in low gear even if I put it in second to start with, won`t it ? TRANS EXPERTS -KICK IN HERE ??????????????

No expert, but I think the burn out in second rule is for 727s that don't have low band apply..of course I may be complete wrong about that! LOL

Pat

-
Back