Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
WOW Daddy great work! I hear ya on the budget build. Who says you have to have a bunch of cash to build a Mopar. Just have to pick the right car and watch what you do. It may take a while but it can be done. Add on top of that a family and it's all most too much. Love the color. Great work! I wish I had your patience. Keep up the good work one thing at a time. Oh and keep putting up pics of the build.

Tip when you drop the motor in.
Leave all the accessories off, ie pulleys, fuel pump, alternator, alternator.
Just put the bolts in the motor mounts hand tight.
This will give you a lot more room and will save scratching the paint.

Tip when you drop the motor in.
Leave all the accessories off, ie pulleys, fuel pump, alternator, alternator.
Just put the bolts in the motor mounts hand tight.
This will give you a lot more room and will save scratching the paint.

Agreed. Consider removing grill assembly as well because **** happens and one tap from 500 pounds of motor will hurt 40 year old plastic.

Grille is out, engine compartment is totally empty. Motor is stripped and ready to go in

Awesome sauce. Does not hurt in the least to tape off or blanket cover inner and outer fenders. I have chipped paint on the 72 in a few places that I need to touch up. Could have prevented with a little damage control prep time.

That is not the first time I have had stuff hung in the poor tree. My wife HATES when I paint things. She is very sensitive to the smell. Needless to say I get my car painting done when she's out. She also would not appreciate me hanging stuff in the trees.
She is very supportive of the project, but someone needs to look out for the health and well being of the kids and the landscape!
Still can't figure out why she married a Hill Ape like me...

So I greased up the steering column coupler that I rebuilt and crimped the the retainer over the rubber seal. I could pull the seal off by hand so I tack welded 4 of the tabs to the coupler. Can't pull it off by hand anymore!

View attachment image-199685979.jpg

Not a bad idea. Don'recall anyone else saying they've done that. I know there is a bail wire available kind of the way a master cyl lid retainer works.

It didn't get hot enough to hurt the rubber or the grease, just 4 little tacks. I figure if it need to come apart I'd need a rebuild kit anyway so why not. Even remembered to put the small roll pin in at the top of the coupler.

I used an apple tree with low hanging branches to help with painting car pats all the time :cheers:

****note to self....do not eat the apples from the lower branches of apple tree****

-
Back