Feather duster value

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashburg

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new to these forums. Im looking at getting a 76 Feather Duster today with the 4 speed. I believe everything is original and there is minimal rust. Everything also appears to be there or at least almost everything, and the interior is in okay condition. The engine probably has around 300k miles on it and could probably use a rebuild and some tuning. My question is, what might be the value range of this car? It runs, does leak anything or smoke. Ive looked everywhere to try to find a price range but i can't.. I know not very many of them were made. Any info would be great! Thanks!

If this helps I bought my 76 dart sport in 2009 for $500 ran ok very little rust but had been sitting for about 3years it was a slant 6 ac/ps /at car unmolested gold w/gold interior

i dont have any pictures, as it isnt in my possession yet.. but i can tell you the underside is in good condition the frame and everything and the body is in good condition. honestly, you cant tell a whole lot from a picture anyway... so picture this... good body(a few dents dings and scratches here and there), good frame, good underside, okay interior, everything on it seems to be in okay-good condition except the engine(300k).

And really? only about $500-1000? ive seen just rollers going for at least that much.. any other opinions?

P.S. thanks for the help thusfar.

i dont have any pictures, as it isnt in my possession yet.. but i can tell you the underside is in good condition the frame and everything and the body is in good condition. honestly, you cant tell a whole lot from a picture anyway... so picture this... good body(a few dents dings and scratches here and there), good frame, good underside, okay interior, everything on it seems to be in okay-good condition except the engine(300k).

And really? only about $500-1000? ive seen just rollers going for at least that much.. any other opinions?

Tell us more about how it is equipped. Is it a 5 on 4 wheel pattern? Bench seat? And the list goes on? At untouched 300K the car is wore out and needs everything mechanical so basically is just one step above a roller. If the car has had a recent front end build, full brake build if disc brake car and etc. the car would be worth more. Based off what you have said $1000 would be tops here.

I'm going to find out more info on it this afternoon and see if theres anything special, and ill update you. Thanks

well in my opinion ,pictures tell a crap load of the condition of a vehicle.how can you determine a value of it sight unseen? i think others would agree that you cant put a value on a vehicle without seeing it! no mention of engine size either but it is pointless to ask a value when we cant even see it!. thats like a craigslist add reading....1970 superbee, 383/727 for 11,000 bucks ,but there are NO pics. are you going to spend 11 grand on a car you cant even look at? not trying to be an ***, but pics are EVERYTHING when it comes to looking at a value. the car you mention could be a complete RUST bucket under the paint with a tore up dash pad and rusted out floors and tore up seats and headliner, but it may be a 360 four speed or it could be a 225/6 3 speed car and clearly the value would very different,but we have no idea ,no pics or even a decent description.my 2 cents,sorry if i offended..

well in my opinion ,pictures tell a crap load of the condition of a vehicle.how can you determine a value of it sight unseen? i think others would agree that you cant put a value on a vehicle without seeing it! no mention of engine size either but it is pointless to ask a value when we cant even see it!. thats like a craigslist add reading....1970 superbee, 383/727 for 11,000 bucks ,but there are NO pics. are you going to spend 11 grand on a car you cant even look at? not trying to be an ***, but pics are EVERYTHING when it comes to looking at a value. the car you mention could be a complete RUST bucket under the paint with a tore up dash pad and rusted out floors and tore up seats and headliner, but it may be a 340 four speed or it could be a 225/6 3 speed car and clearly the value would very different,but we have no idea ,no pics or even a decent description.my 2 cents,sorry if i offended..

Well said.

I'm going to find out more info on it this afternoon and see if theres anything special, and ill update you. Thanks

Get some pictures. A seller can email them to you if the car is too far away if he wants to sell the car. If it is close than you need to get moving.
If you snooze you loose.

"the car you mention could be a complete RUST bucket under the paint with a tore up dash pad and rusted out floors and tore up seats and headliner"

^^Now, if that was the case, how in the world would a picture be able to tell that? pictures give you the outside.. the surface.. not to mention unless i took about 500 pics of every single portion of the car, you wouldnt know everything about it so even if i did have pics to send, it still wouldnt tell you the full story. words can describe just as well in my opinion, i just dont have as many details yet as you all would like.. As I get more details i will post them. I will also try to take some pics this afternoon. I cant just email the guy for pics as he doesnt even have a computer..

Also, thank you efriedrich and crazypete for KISS.

Get some pictures of the underneath especially the fuel tank looking forward also the frame rails and crossmember that houses the torsion bar sockets. That'll give you a good idea of what to expect for rust and rot.

Ashburg these guy's are right,they know what they are talking about. That car might be only worth a scrap price or more depending on condition. Being in FL you know yourself rust can show up in the least likely places.

Valiant rebel, i understand this, and im sure they do know what they're talking about. I simply asked for the approximate value of a car, given the details listed. I stated the condition of the underside, frame, body, and interior. If it was a rusted piece of junk i wouldve stated it was a rusted piece of junk. Its not. Period. Pictures or no pictures i can tell you.. ive looked at it.. so, keeping in mind that the metal is in good condition, i just wanted to know an approximate value.

"Get some pictures of the underneath especially the fuel tank looking forward also the frame rails and crossmember that houses the torsion bar sockets. That'll give you a good idea of what to expect for rust and rot."

^ And in my opinion, demon seed was the most professional on here about the lack of pictures..

However, thank you all for your help, whether it was useful or not.

Valiant rebel, i understand this, and im sure they do know what they're talking about. I simply asked for the approximate value of a car, given the details listed. I stated the condition of the underside, frame, body, and interior. If it was a rusted piece of junk i wouldve stated it was a rusted piece of junk. Its not. Period. Pictures or no pictures i can tell you.. ive looked at it.. so, keeping in mind that the metal is in good condition, i just wanted to know an approximate value.

"Get some pictures of the underneath especially the fuel tank looking forward also the frame rails and crossmember that houses the torsion bar sockets. That'll give you a good idea of what to expect for rust and rot."

^ And in my opinion, demon seed was the most professional on here about the lack of pictures..

However, thank you all for your help, whether it was useful or not.

Lose the attitude bro,you are not paying for advice here you are getting it for free. If the car is as nice as you claim it is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. But value wise it is not worth more than 1800.00 resale,and that is if you can find someone who wants it. They are only about 150 lbs lighter than a regular duster,and most people dont like the 73+ Duster body style,therefore they are not worth as much as a 70-72.

Bring a magnet and make sure the trunk bracing/deck lid bracing/intake/transcase/and bumper brackets are made out of aluminum. That is the only difference with the feather duster/dart lite over a standard duster/dart sport.

Quote; demon seed was the most professional on here :blob::blob::blob:

Take that all you "Mooks", Ashburg called me professional, certainly beats what I was being called last weekend. :tongue5::tongue5:

Quote; demon seed was the most professional on here :blob::blob::blob:

Take that all you "Mooks", Ashburg called me professional, certainly beats what I was being called last weekend. :tongue5::tongue5:

Demon Seed gets a cookie:toothy7:

it is like this. if it has 300k on it, and yet it still looks good with no rust. i am betting that the car has has alot of patches put in it!. you can bet your bottom dollar on that.
with that kind of mileage, it has been on the roads constant, and even though the frame rails appear to be good, does not mean they are not rotted out from the insuide out. i just bought a rea; pink duster, and did not exspect to have and repalce frame rail in it, but it rotted from the inside. you need to look in the trunk for patches, and get under the car and look at the INNER ROCKERS! they may have put caps over them, but if you look from underneath, they may be non-existant!.
so, you ask for a price range. i say 800.00 to 3000.00 there you go. off your description. a 6 cyl car will be worth 1/2 of a 360/4 speed car.
also, floors can look solid from underneath in these cars. you need to pull up some of the carpet to be sure.
i sold a dart hand 10 to someone on here,a nd i looked at the floors from underneath,a nd they appeared perfect. however, when he pulled the carpet after he bought it, he stated they were gone. a lesson learned!

Someone above posted they thought 1000 dollars should buy a running, driving, relatively rust free, 4 speed Feather Duster with a reasonably intact interior? Yeah right, good luck with that. That describes mine exactly and I wouldn't take four times that amount.
Fact is, with all A bodies over or pushing 40 years old, they're drying up fast. Anything that is reasonably straight, runs and drives, and has a decent interior, is likely to bring several times that amount, baring one of those "killer deals", and any four speed car is quite likely to bring more.
Being six cylinder powered, the Feather Dusters and Dart Lites are like Rodney Dangerfield, they "don't get no respect" for what they are. In actuality, they are a one year only limited production model with a lot of special one off parts designed to maximize fuel economy, and as rare as their more popular muscle car siblings. Restoring an incomplete one can be a bear because the intake manifold, carburetor, distributor, exhaust pipe, transmission case (four speed) and overdrive gear set, hood, deck lid, bumper mounting bars were special to that model, that year.
Find a driver, even with over 300K on the odometer, and odds are you have found a reliable going back and forth car, built like an anvil and easy to work on. And don't be suprised when you find your unrestored, been around the clock three times, manual transmission version Feather Duster has a noisy transmission, doesn't like high gear under 45 MPH on level ground, but still gets over 30 miles to a gallon on the highway.

30 mpg on a /6? where do i get one of these at?lol

If this helps I bought my 76 dart sport in 2009 for $500 ran ok very little rust but had been sitting for about 3years it was a slant 6 ac/ps /at car unmolested gold w/gold interior

bought my 74 dart sport with 44xxx miles, mint interior and little rust for 1080 in 09
So are you saying you payed far market value for your cars or that you got a good deal from a buyer just wanting to get the cars moved.Because they are seperate things and he is looking for far market value not the best deals we have ran across.Dont get me wrong i think we all understand where yall are coming from and are just trying to give examples.the problems with pics is if you see a car with a shiney paint job everyone will say(including me) "man that car looks great" but it would still have the same miles on it as if it had faded paint.38 years and 300k is not that bad.i have 97 with halve that on it and its not rusting from the inside out.If you can verify pretty closely that the metal is desent I would say 2000-2500 would be a far price.But feel the floor pans if you cant pull the carpet up for soft spongey metal,the under coating really hides rusty floors,make sure you check forward of the torsion bar mounts as thats what goes first.I bought my dart from a guy I know and neither of us found the rusty floors till I pulled the carpet and we both checked underneath pretty good.

Someone above posted they thought 1000 dollars should buy a running, driving, relatively rust free, 4 speed Feather Duster with a reasonably intact interior? Yeah right, good luck with that. That describes mine exactly and I wouldn't take four times that amount.
Fact is, with all A bodies over or pushing 40 years old, they're drying up fast. Anything that is reasonably straight, runs and drives, and has a decent interior, is likely to bring several times that amount, baring one of those "killer deals", and any four speed car is quite likely to bring more.
Being six cylinder powered, the Feather Dusters and Dart Lites are like Rodney Dangerfield, they "don't get no respect" for what they are. In actuality, they are a one year only limited production model with a lot of special one off parts designed to maximize fuel economy, and as rare as their more popular muscle car siblings. Restoring an incomplete one can be a bear because the intake manifold, carburetor, distributor, exhaust pipe, transmission case (four speed) and overdrive gear set, hood, deck lid, bumper mounting bars were special to that model, that year.
Find a driver, even with over 300K on the odometer, and odds are you have found a reliable going back and forth car, built like an anvil and easy to work on. And don't be suprised when you find your unrestored, been around the clock three times, manual transmission version Feather Duster has a noisy transmission, doesn't like high gear under 45 MPH on level ground, but still gets over 30 miles to a gallon on the highway.
I agree these are one of the rarest cars out there.Even a numbers matching /6 and if it has the original paint then it becomes a survivor car.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back