Fiberglass help .... from the Doc !

-
D

DocFiberglass

Doc is the nickname ... given me from a good customer in the fair state of Texas .... and the World Champion in Competition Eliminator. The "real" name is Mister Fiberglass .... out of Detroit - far nw side. IN the business for 25 plus years.

Any problems ? ...drop a post here. Or post a pic -- I will see if I can help. And from what I see hear from other posts ... there are lots of issues people have here.

SORRY to hear that ... but making fiberglass parts is NOT rocket-science - making nice parts IS closer to that than most people realize.

Doc, Long time no see. Welcome to here !

Dont know if you saw it but you were mentioned in a CarCraft article about a year ago for one of your AMC hoods.

Hi A R ..... THX for the welcome.

You know ...I GOT that magazine at a thrift-shop some time ago when my GF wanted to shop for some antiques. It was a complete quirk-of-fate that I ran into that magazine. The cover of the CC featured a good article about camshafts - thought I would pay the 25 cents that they wanted for it and BINGO - there was the article !

STUFF like that - very honestly - WARMS my heart. It is good to hear that people really LIKED my stuff - and in that article - here is a guy that liked it so well that instead of him puffing-his-own-stuff FEATURED my "stuff" instead !!

WHY did I get OUT of the biz ? ..... I got tired of dealing with people who wanted me to price-match my stuff with the garbage that some other fiberglass companies offer. IIRC (I do not have the piece in front of me) ... the article mentions that a guy bought a hood in the early 80's ... LOVES IT ...and is still using it today.

THIS is a major diff between the other companies and most of their product ... some report needing new parts a year or two after. And some report NOT even being able to use the parts at all.

Now THAT is a sorry-state-of-affairs.

Welcome Doc, I recall reading some of your useful posts on other boards a while back and then you disappeared.

Glad to see you back posting.

Tadjou

THX T .... disappeared ? .. LOL ... well I moved to the nw part of lower MI - FROM the sw part --- AFTER moving from the Detroit area. NOW I am trying to sell this place with some acreage and move to the west coast of FL ..... at or around Bradenton.

BTW ... remember the Southern New England Mopar Club. I was a member of that waaaay back when. I am originally from Westfield, MA.

THX for the welcome.

welcome doc,,,,,,,I've got one of your glass bumpers on the front of my 74 swinger,,,,fits great and has held up after many wrestling matches with my knees during those unscheduled mad dashes around the front when wrenching

can you make some NICE front end parts for my 73 dart?pretty much the whole front clip.hood,fenders,hood extension,front bumper,and how much?thanks,toby

p d ... THX ferr yurr words. How old is that bumper?

d b .... YES you can "chrome" it. You know the "chrome" plastic parts in model kits ? ...same SAME. The finish is not nearly as durable as regular chrome though. UNless they have changed the process in the past 15 (I can't believe it has been that long) years. Search plastic plating ..... the better the raw part is - the BESTer the finished part will be.

tsb ..... it is a long story ... but I do not have many molds left. But I plan on REstarting the biz after I am set-up in FL. Being honest -- that is going to be quite a while.

FYI - the parts that I DID make some time ago for that car was a regular hood(same as a 69 Cuda, a hood WITH the rear cowl section, fenders, bumpers, doors, decklid and dash.

Well I'll be..... :eek:

Doc Fiberglass!!! :wave:

Are you still selling Thermoquad adjuster tools ???

Why YES ...axc ... how many do you need ?

I don't need one right now. Just you selling them brings back memories.

Post a pic of one of them and explain them. It could help some TQ guys out here.

THX for the words Xer ...

The tool ? ...I have a pic but how do you post it here? .....

And to mention another tidbit --- I have come up with some other small-parts items that no one else has ever offered(that I am aware of) ....

A 727 torque converter hub-cover that covers the WHOLE hub and will not fall off. A slanted-to-the-rear pickup tube for the TF trans using the deep steel pan and the deeper alum pans. And a plastic covered hex rod oil pump priming rod. The reason for the plastic? .. so when you spin the oil-pump ... the hex-rod will not damage the bushing in the block.

doc I can't remember the date but the next time I have it off I'll check the business card that is "glazed" in to the rear of the license plate area, that seemed a little odd to me when I saw it but what a great way to mark parts and get return business on used parts

doc I can't remember the date but the next time I have it off I'll check the business card that is "glazed" in to the rear of the license plate area, that seemed a little odd to me when I saw it but what a great way to mark parts and get return business on used parts

ANY parts that were made in-house had a business card laminated into the part ....kind of like a "serial-#". The part description, part # and final operation date was put into it.

And YES .. it was good for business. But NOT for the business that has my old phone #. I have never talked to them but someone who I talked to from another BB said that they did. They(a flower shop or beauty parlor) gets about 15 calls a week !

Are you making parts? If not, who makes good fenders , hoods for 67-69 a body. Thanks Ron

I've been looking for you for YEARS!:wav:. I used 1 of your S/S scoops on a clone car I did some years ago. What's your address I'll be needing some more stuff and not to be :downtown: but none of the other stuff I've used seems as good.

bb .... NO I am not making parts at this time. I plan on REstarting the biz .. when I get moved to FL. 67-69 .. Dart or Barracuda ?? ... street or race weight ?

hc ... NO parts at this time. IN FACT -- I am going to have to REmake all the molds that I had -- if there is still demand for the parts.

THX for the kind words. THIS is what makes me want to get back into the biz.

Just Googled "Mister Fiberglass" and found this thread!
And of course, I wonder what ever happened to "Doc" "Mister" Fiberglass!
On eBay right now is the Mickey Weiss Dart being sold. There's a MILLION pictures of the car - with the restoration well documented!
And wouldn't you know it...here's the picture of the fiberglass hood - with the business card right in it!
Cool!

Attachments

• 2010%201968%20Hemi%20Dart%20006.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 589
  • 2010%201968%20Hemi%20Dart%20007.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 582
  • 2010%201968%20Hemi%20Dart%20008.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 737
And of course, I wonder what ever happened to "Doc" "Mister" Fiberglass!

He can come back in and post as soon as he learns to act like an adult and stop lying, making false accustions, speaking half truths and B.S.ing the general forum members.

OK ... here is the deal ......

When I eventually get set-up in FL .... I am going to restart my fiberglass business so I can make larger panels ...and maybe even a race-boat or two. But right now ... just smaller parts. And WHEN I get set-up ... the only advertising I will be doing is ON THE 'NET ... and THIS PLACE here is one of the few that I have considered. ALL of my ad $$$$'s previously were put-into the NHRA(and a couple of IHRA) programs and National Dragster. Now .. the internet is the only way to go.

WHY have I considered FABO ? ....because MOST of the stuff I sold in my previous operation for almost 30 years was A body stuff. And I am sure that this will continue.

B U T ..... I can not compete with someone who has a magic-mouse .. that can delete and ban at his will. I honestly do-not know what his beef is ... but if he wants to take-this to another topic ....OR whatever ... I am game.

I will say this though ....if I am whacked again ..I will never be back.

And lastly ... on this whacking and banning and piling-on that some people do to others .... THIS is why there are so-few people(that have actually lived the muscle-car era and/or have a HP businesses) that actually POST on any of these forums. WHY ? ... because these people who attack and sometimes smear others ...are just JEALOUS ? ..who knows.

LOOK HERE ...and anywhere on these forums ..... the only other person that comes to mind who posts(just lightly) ...is John Cope. WHO is famous and full-of-knowledge that have posted ... that do not now ? .....

Barton, Koffel, Hughes, 440S ...etc ... the list could go on and on ....

-
Back