Footbrake racing

-
I’ll quit before I go that slow.
I have gone as slow as 22.8 in the 1/4 mile and as quick/fast as 9.20 and about 145 mph.
I don't think I could do it now (under the same rules/equipment as in the 70's) But at one meet I ran my Z/sa valiant (16.75) in "street" bracket, and the Dragster (9.5) in super pro (no box) and won both.
But you run the equipment you want, and I'll stay "old school", and we can both enjoy ourselves.
PS: I was just busting chops. :) :) I thought I would get more of a reaction.
The reason I posted that info on myself, was just to supply some background, to show I'm not just a online racer. Now I am just an occasional racer. Age, finances and family health issues have put a crimp in my racing.

Last edited:
I have gone as slow as 22.8 in the 1/4 mile and as quick/fast as 9.20 and about 145 mph.
I don't think I could do it now (under the same rules/equipment as in the 70's) But at one meet I ran my Z/sa valiant (16.75) in "street" bracket, and the Dragster (9.5) in super pro (no box) and won both.
But you run the equipment you want, and I'll stay "old school", and we can both enjoy ourselves.
PS: I was just busting chops. :) :) I thought I would get more of a reaction.
The reason I posted that info on myself, was just to supply some background, to show I'm not just a online racer. Now I am just an occasional racer. Age, finances and family health issues have put a crimp in my racing.
If you are happy and having a good time let the crippled enjoy their crutches.

Exactly. I remember the days when you went to the track on race day and could get almost as many time shots you wanted before eliminations. Gates opened at about 8 am, hot track about 9 am, eliminations about 1 or 2 pm, finish racing about mid night. You could actually work on the tune up on race day, or even try some different parts to test back to back.

I agree, but Tulsa nEver started on time back in the day ,track clean up after a chevy blew up was rediculous , and so were them keeping the clocks riunning right ...

Arrogant much?
my opinion > its easier to win in a slow car that is consistant , than one that always was traction limited...where everything had to be just right , including track prep (back in the old days ...

thumbnail - Copy (2).jpg

Yes, I understand that. It looks totally stupid to someone that is not really familiar with drag racing. And the drivers are not really driving, they are just steering, the "computer" is doing the driving. Take the computer out of the car and show me what the driver can do.
PS: over the years I have competed in quite a few different vehicles. From a Z/SA- bracket racer 65 Valiant, a 65 Valiant with a 273, a altered wheelbase 68 Cougar with a 440 Chrys., Front motor dragster with SBC. I ran all four of those cars at 5 different races in the same week. ET's ranged from high 16's to mid 9's and I did well. I have held record's in three different stock eliminator classes with a Ford, a Chevy and a Mopar. I was runnerup at the "bracket Nationals" at Byron Ill. in 1976, also runnerup at the division one Bracket finals. Over the years I have raced at over 50 different dragstrips (even ran at Pittsburg) and I can't even say how many cars. And I never ran electronics, except for ign box. Fact is I never even had a "line lock" until 5 years ago. Back "in the day" I was very good, But I parked my car in 1985, because footbrake and box cars ran together, and foot breakers did not have a very good chance of making it to the "money" rounds at a big payout race. I resurrected slant six my car in 2000 to run the slant six series. I'm not so good any more, as I don't run my races or TnT's, and I have slowed down some at 82 years old.

AGREE ^^^^^^^
I was`nt that good , almost couldn`yt do the same thing twice in a row , but I digress , I was too worried about hurting the hemi because I couldnt afford to fix it , if I tore it up !!

-
Back