Going rate 727 rebuild.

-

Gr8polarbear

Reaction score
Have a 72 scamp 383 with 727, got a quote for removal, rebuild and reinstall for $2000 not including converter. This seems high to me.

I was just having this conversation with a friend that has worked in a transmission shop for the last 25 years. He told me to R&R a 727 in a car, put all new bushing in, and the rebuild is now $1200 plus the torque convertor.

Tom

I had my rebuild done on the bench with shift kit I supplied, installed, all other parts included with a Kevlar front band. To get a warranty, he did want me to buy a new torque converter, but I simply had one rebuilt up the road at a shop he trusted (Tampa Racing Converter) Guy was a Chevy dude from a Chevy drag racing family. Only thing I can really ***** about he didn't change shift shaft seal, I RnR'd the 727 and took it up there. First thing he said was "Y'all ready to go Racin' " lol
$300 but was over a decade ago. WHATEVER you do, No Ammco! Long story there

Here in CT, a removal and reinstall with full rebuild and rebuilt factory converter (shift kit and fancy fluid) is about $2500+
Good Parts are not cheap anymore. Fluid alone can be upwards of $9 per quart.

I paid $600 for a bench rebuild and I supplied the rebuild and shift kit. That was 5 years ago. 65'

$120 for rebuild kit, about $80 for a shift kit, and $250+ (depending) torque converter...
I do it myself, after all this is my hobby....
Easier than falling out of bed...

I recently paid an experienced TF builder in the area $1200 + tax, no converter. This is with me dropping off the transmission and picking it up.

I say this in about every transmission thread it's like a broken record...
I can't believe people do all the hard work of taking it out and putting it back in and giving away the easy simple part and putting it right on their bench for them to do and taking it off the bench...

I'm going to bake a cake and crack the eggs mix the batter bake the cake let it cool off bring it to you so you can smooth on the icing, eat 3/4 of it and give me the last quarter lol...

I think that is a close to fair price given that removal and install is included. Heck, on some cars with headers and certain exhausts, the trans removal and install might take longer than the rebuild.

I say this in about every transmission thread it's like a broken record...
I can't believe people do all the hard work of taking it out and putting it back in and giving away the easy simple part and putting it right on their bench for them to do and taking it off the bench...
Let me help you with that. The transmission was never in the car and it was dropped off by the person I bought it from. It got completely cleaned and built with all performance parts including a reverse pattern manual valve body. When it was done, I picked it up and brought it home where it sat on a cart until I was ready to install it in the car that I am building. I will pay $1200 all day long versus taking on another job that I don't have the time or experience to do myself. :)

Let me help you with that. The transmission was never in the car and it was dropped off by the person I bought it from. It got completely cleaned and built with all performance parts including a reverse pattern manual valve body. When it was done, I picked it up and brought it home where it sat on a cart until I was ready to install it in the car that I am building. I will pay $1200 all day long versus taking on another job that I don't have the time or experience to do myself. :)
Yeah that reverse valve body was probably $3-500 by itself..

2000 to 2500 is about right for a good street transmission R&R and rebuild. The parts are ridiculous nowadays. I have to agree with jpar on this though. The three speed Torqueflite has got to be the easiest three speed automatic ever to build. Get a couple of good books and do it yourself.

Now remember this fellow people who have rebuilt transmission before and can do it in our sleep…
Not every one has the tools or skills to take on this project. I personally have rebuilt transmissions for a brain surgeon.
A freakin brain surgeon could not figure it out. Some people blue collar or white collar does not matter, do not have the ability to perform this or many things we take for granted. Just like we cannot do or do easy what they can do. It is just life. I for the life of me cannot program in computer language. I cannot speak multiple languages. I still put my pants on one leg at a time. You get my point. Lol!

If anyone was near me I would rebuild one for the price of the parts. I probably have enough spare seals and gaskets to do 4 right now. Not everything needs replaced when you get in there. I think they are fun.

Now remember this fellow people who have rebuilt transmission before and can do it in our sleep…
Not every one has the tools or skills to take on this project. I personally have rebuilt transmissions for a brain surgeon.
A freakin brain surgeon could not figure it out. Some people blue collar or white collar does not matter, do not have the ability to perform this or many things we take for granted. Just like we cannot do or do easy what they can do. It is just life. I for the life of me cannot program in computer language. I cannot speak multiple languages. I still put my pants on one leg at a time. You get my point. Lol!
I've already debunked that you need special tools or any special skills... Maybe watch a couple you-boob videos... And I've done it on a 2 ft by 4 ft piece of 3/4 inch plywood held up by two chairs... Unless you're doing something very exotic it's mostly just taking it apart and replacing it with the new parts that you took out the same way you took it out... Follow the instructions on the shift kit...
If you don't have time to do it that's somewhat understandable but you're saying you don't take 3 hours a weekend to drive your car to a car show... Should take less than 3 hours to take it apart and 3 hours to clean everything up and 3 hours to put everything back.., A pro should easily have all that done in 3 hours start to finish..
But then again there's people who don't have the time or don't even want to try it and the price is two Grand, drop it off and have it done... Or find a cheaper hobby...

2000 to 2500 is about right for a good street transmission R&R and rebuild. The parts are ridiculous nowadays. I have to agree with jpar on this though. The three speed Torqueflite has got to be the easiest three speed automatic ever to build. Get a couple of good books and do it yourself.
The only one that I've found easier was a early sixties two-speed Ford omatic...
I was like good Lord there's only two clutches they're better not be very much horsepower!...

The only one that I've found easier was a early sixties two-speed Ford omatic...
I was like good Lord there's only two clutches they're better not be very much horsepower!...
I actually have one in a 1961 Falcon. lol

Dont really have the time or the space to do it myself.

The reason i am asking about the price is due to me seeing other spots on this and other forums that state a lower price. Some of which are a bit older so was trying to get an updated price. I have no problem spending what ever the cost is to get it done. I just dont want to spend more than i need to. A few hundred dollars could go to something else on the car. Dont need to worry about a converter already purchased it and it was $850.

If he has the dough to pay for an $850 converter I'm sure getting the transmission rebuilt isn't going to hurt much...
Well I just like helpin people and makin new friends. I'd even help you. Dork.

-
Back