going to the track for my first time

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Yes that's right first time and I have a few questions..

Im installing my 11in 2800-3000 ptc stall converter in the car with a trans cooler on wed, and I'm also getting some slicks off a friend 28/9/15...

I Havnt experienced with a stall or slicks so I was wondering what I should be doing when I pull into the burnout box and get ready to launch.. I know ill probably be low 14 but we shall see

Got a 4 speed so I can't help you any there. Good luck to you though and have fun. Where you going to run at?

First I would check and make sure you can use slicks as you said it was street legal track time and around here that means no slicks,dot approved only.
I am no pro as I have only gone up to the track twice(done a lot of street racing)
I ran my drag radials at 13 pounds and warmed them up good(1st into 2nd gear and then let it roll out)
Then staged my car foot braking it at 2200(running a low gear 904 with a 4000 stall verter)
And then let it rip and have a good time.
Doug

Relax,do one step at a time.HAVE FUN !(f.w.i.w, you might start a log journal.do one step at a time,log it down.Then you have a known reference.)

Yes I can use them at the track...

So I burn put to second gear then roll.. then foot brake to around 2200 and when its time to go I punch it or fastly get into it.. would I spin if I punch it

it would be simple if you have a line lock on the front brakes...since you dont...you will have to power brake and over come the rear brakes to get the tires turning...

you can start in 1st gear and shift into 2nd.....as you start to move forward...start backing out of the gas...

Ok Kool now what about launch since I have a 2800 what should I be at and would I spin if I punch it and kf I do then what?

Yes I can use them at the track...

So I burn put to second gear then roll.. then foot brake to around 2200 and when its time to go I punch it or fastly get into it.. would I spin if I punch it

i highly recommended starting your burnout in second... no chance of having the sprag let loose on you...

then cuz your running slicks stall it up as high as it will go... so get to the line, and pump the brakes to get them locked up good

then ease onto the gas until the converter wont let the motor rev anymore...

on the last yellow let go of the brake and smash the gas!:burnout:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZstyQMWmWU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZstyQMWmWU[/ame]

Ok Kool now what about launch since I have a 2800 what should I be at and would I spin if I punch it and kf I do then what?

every car is different...try different starting rpms to find out what it wants..

I always give a quick spin through the waterbox,pull ahead a couple feet(out of the water.Set brakes,start burnout in second,shift to third til RPM,s start to drop,let off and roll out.You shouldn,t spin off launch unless you have tons of tq and HP.Good luck and have fun!:burnout::D

Well, start off easy and slowly push the envolpe in getting aggressssive at the line. Do your burnout in 2nd gear, roll up to the line and get ready to go, at the last yellow. hit the hammer.

As far as staging at the light, I'll assume your foot breaking it. I didn't read/see trans. break equipement in the car. So, just rev it up to a few more hundred RPM more than last time (If there was a last time, IDK.) and go from there. Next time up at the line, try a few more hundred RPM over last time. Soon enuff, you'll find a point where things work best.

If you have never been to the line before, I suggest reving it up to a point just below where the stall rating is. Since the engine is small I would try starting at 2500/2600 RPM just to see how it reacts. Then go up in RPM from there.

It's all a learning experiance and it's all about fun. So, have at it and by all means, DO! report back what you have found!

Good luck, have fun!

(OH, P.S. Ya, ya might spin if you punch it. Start by rolling your foot into it quickly, quicker each time you go to the line. Like said above, one step at a time. Adjusting starting line RPM and hitting the hammer at different rates are 2 things. Just try one and then proceed to the next. You'll be knocking down the time each time you do this. And if you don't knock time down, you went to far and need to go back a step to where the car reacted best.)

Update the drags are Sunday now.... I picked up my slicks yesterday and almost have my trans out so I can put my stall converter in then I'm ready to go

I am new to racing so here is what I have learned (fresh in my mind). You will be nervous as heck. Watch what the guy who is directing the cars tells you to do - never want to piss off the guys working the line - they are your friends. When I get to the water box I punch it a little to spin the tires to wet them and also get the car straight and in the "groove" that others have been using. Being in that groove is important. Do not burnout in the water! When they give you the signal to start the burnout do what you have to - I have a line lock and I do mine in 2nd. They may signal you when to let it rip and peel out from the burnout or you may do your own deciding. I get my car good and smokey then keep in the gas as I let off the line lock and really stomp on it for a few feet for effect. The tach light is on the whole time!

Look at the vid posted under "Airwoofer beat me" to see what I mean, I am the white fish in the far lane and that was not a "big" burnout. Remember to approach the line "in the groove" and straight down the track with your steering wheel straight (maybe put some white tape on top when the car is straight so you have a reference.

As you stage forget the other guy, the crowd, everything else but staging and the lights on your side of the tree. You drive your own car. I have a low speed converter so I stomp from a high idle instead of stalloing the converteras it seems to be a tad quicker in the 60'. I start in 1st gear and shift manually at 6000+. Hopefully your car tracks as straight as mine does. Take the brakes off and stomp on the gas when the 3rd yellow comes on and concentrate on shifting and driving all the way through the finish line. If the other guy beats you let him off the track first and follow him to the timing slip shack.

Most of all be careful and have fun. If this is a test and tune - great cause you can play with things like tire pressures and staging RPMs. My goal the first night I was running down the track was to keep out of the wall. With time you will relax and it will seem easier.

Things that can make your car faster:

Try to get to the start with the engine/trans/radiator somewhat cool, like 140 or less.
Opening the hood between races will help cool the engine.
Unplug the field wire to the alternator if it has one. Don't forget to put it back on.
If a night race you run the parking lights but not the headlights as they take a lot of juice.

If something pop, spits or quits, get the car out of the groove, to the side of track with K rail and stop as soon and safely as possible. I've been out to that thing I call the "half-shaft nationals" and you wouldn't believe the idiots. Something breaks and they litter the track from one end to the other with parts, syn trans fluid, antifreeze, etc... it's a PIA to clean up and takes a LONG time. It's fun paying your money to sit in the heat while the crew cleans the track and you're not putting in any laps.

Burnout get it in high gear and count 3, let off brakes, roll out and let out of the gas as it starts to roll forward.

Don't double bulb, turning on the pre stage and stage bulbs before the other guy is even prestaged. It REALLY pisses some people off. Roll forward, turn on the prestage light, wait for them to turn on prestage, then roll into the stage beam. As tree comes down, stand on it when you see the last yellow light come on.

If you are running slicks, regardless of ET, they may require you to have a driveshaft loop.

Most of all have fun and be safe.

<Don't double bulb, turning on the pre stage and stage bulbs before the other guy is even prestaged. It REALLY pisses some people off. >

Why? I kinda get pissed when the other guy burns out after me and takes his sweet time getting staged while my tires cool off. They think they are psyching me out but I am really so focused on what I am doing it does not matter to me. Never see the other lane till we get close to the finish line. If double bulbing pisses off the other guy off maybe that is good if it throws off his concentration.

Also... I have made a little check list so I don't screw something up like leaving the emergency brake on or running down the track with the elec fan on.

<Don't double bulb, turning on the pre stage and stage bulbs before the other guy is even prestaged. It REALLY pisses some people off. >

Why? I kinda get pissed when the other guy burns out after me and takes his sweet time getting staged while my tires cool off. They think they are psyching me out but I am really so focused on what I am doing it does not matter to me. Never see the other lane till we get close to the finish line. If double bulbing pisses off the other guy off maybe that is good if it throws off his concentration.

Also... I have made a little check list so I don't screw something up like leaving the emergency brake on or running down the track with the elec fan on.

At some events, you double bulb someone you get an automatic "L" on the timeslip. Most guys consider it discourteous and I've seen fights break out in big bracket event over it. Some guys have stuff to do in the car that requires some time. If autostart is on, you have a certain number of seconds, about 8, to get what you need done. That happens when one car is staged and the other prestaged, the later car has 8 seconds to get into the staged beams. You double bulb them they only have a short amount of time to get in once prestaged...

You double bulb some guys, you'll sit until the starter forces them into the beams... Flipping switch, setting stuff up, pulling belts, etc.

If you are concerned about your tires, make sure you start your burnout second. They really have to sit for a decent period of time on most street cars to negatively effect performance after a proper burnout.

Leave the car in second. Get the tires spinning then feather the throttle to maintain RPM. Be sure not to over rev it. Like it was said before, try different launch RPMs. Torque it on the line may not be what it likes. Some engines like the flash from the converter. So just off an idle while the tree drops and mash it. Mess with it and have fun. You'll get to know what works best with some time slips in your hand.

Thanks for the pointer about double bulbing. Didn't know about it - but then again I am only test and tuning and try to just run friendly Mopars.

As for the first time out with the teen - I doubt the engine has enough to spin in 3rd. My 340 fish doesn't but it now has 275 drag radials.

keep a log of eveything you do,when it stops inproving than start tuning and ask other drivers or track or crew members for tips and hints also. it dont hurt to ask. i also im a 4sd, guy so i cant help to much with the launch either. good luck and have a blast and be safe.

Just keep your focus, concentrate on the car and whats going on around it. I don't like to tie emotion into it, you'll never see me hitting the dash or throwing my tools, I perfer to be more analytical about things. If something goes wrong don't freak, keep your head on and think out a solution. It's drag racing, somethings gona go wrong and you may not get the results you're looking for and that's fine. I think that in drag racing there are 3 numbers, 1) What it should run 2) What it could run 3) What it did run, that's the importatnt one. Also it doesn't hurt to watch a few passes before you go up for yours especially watch the crew guys. HAVE FUN MAN!!

I would suggest the first time ya go watch a few races first. Make sure you know where the beems are located. Don't forget when ya first get to track to find out where tech is and get car teched in. Before you go check your battery hold downs make sure it is good, double check car for leaks and such, and make sure ya have a overflow tank on radiator.

If you have a manual valve body start in second and shift to third. Slowly roll out and let off gas. Depending on tire brand you using some like more heat then other so play with how long you burn them based on launch. Try starting out around 14 psi or so in the slicks and work down if it spins. If someone goes with you have them watch your launch. Put a small mark on tire and rim( unless you using bead locks) make sure tire is not spinning on rim. Trying launch first time at around 1000rpM. It will allow convertor to shock the suspenion and tires and allow slicks to work.

Each run you making a change but only change one thing at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. Remember good rule of thumb is for every tenth you can take off 60' you lose 2 tenths at big end.

Biggest thing to remember is have fun. Talk to people and ask for suggestions. Most racers are pretty friendly and most will help out a new person.

Troy

Thanks everyone tomorrow I still need to finish putting my converter in and a overflow tank then I should be ready

-
Back