Good Bye Flowmasters!

-
Best thing you ever did was dump the flow masters. You could have put tomato cans on there and found better everything over the flowmasters.

mshred, what ever style of pipe configuration (In and out locations on the muffler) you want is available and in pipe sizes that you need from 2-1/4 to 4 inch.
whatever than put tomato cans on u car

Best thing you ever did was dump the flow masters. You could have put tomato cans on there and found better everything over the flowmasters.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I really dislike flowmasters. And if anyone really wants a set of used flowmaster 40's, I've got a set. They're not pretty but there's nothing wrong with them, other than being flowmasters.

agreed with the flowmasters thing...i have not heard one car that has flowmasters that i like the sound (atleast the 40 series)...there is a guy around here who has a radical smallblock camaro with flowmaster one chambers which sound balls out nasty (but tinny too), but other than him i know atleast a handful of guys with super 40's on there cars (two of them pushing over 700hp in blown mopar applications) and there cars sound like stink to me...cant remember where i read it (maybe in this thread) but flowmasters were designed for making your car sound "tough" but do nothing for performance (though most ive heard dont sound tough at all)...this is all just my opinion that im throwing out there...straight through muffs all the way

And no matter what the car/engine is, the exhaust sounds almost the same. I didnt want my built 340 to sound like a POS 305. Granted my car had a very unique sound with the super 40's but it was still a flowmaster sound

Well I placed my order for the Dynomax Ultra FLo "welded" mufflers today so I will be dropping my Flowmasters here pretty soon.

Just ordered some 3 inch in/out stainless ultra flows myself in the round case design in 6" diameter....im hoping that they will tuck up okay under the floor pans otherwise im screwed

Well, as I get to drive my car more & more I am realizing that I too don't like Flowmasters.... They are starting to annoy me when I drive my car.

Dynomax it is, but what size? My Flowmasters are 19" and JEGS advertises 16" Dynomax's. Should I shop elsewhere? I'd hate like hell to "modify" my exhaust any more then I have to if I can't find the right lenght.

John, Do you have 40 or 50 series Flowmasters ? 40 series should be a 14" case.

What size pipes, 2 1/4"??
you can always use a short piece of pipe for extension if you need an extra inch or 2. ;)

Dynomax Performance 17731 - Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers

Brand Dynomax Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number 17731
Part Type Mufflers
Product Line Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
Summit Racing Part Number WLK-17731
Case Shape Oval
Inlet Diameter (in) 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity Single
Inlet Location Offset
Outlet Diameter (in) 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity Single
Outlet Location Center
Internal Construction Turbo-style
Muffler Material Steel
Muffler Finish Aluminized
Case Length (in) 14.000 in.
Overall Length (in) 18.500 in.
Thickness (in) 4.250 in.
Width (in) 9.750 in.

Dynomax Performance 17217 - Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers
Brand Dynomax Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number 17217
Part Type Mufflers
Product Line Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers
Summit Racing Part Number WLK-17217
Case Shape Oval
Inlet Diameter (in) 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity Single
Inlet Location Offset
Outlet Diameter (in) 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity Single
Outlet Location Center
Internal Construction Glass-wrap perforated tube
Muffler Material Stainless steel
Muffler Finish Natural
Case Length (in) 14.000 in.
Overall Length (in) 19.000 in.
Thickness (in) 4.500 in.
Width (in) 9.750 in.

Well, as I get to drive my car more & more I am realizing that I too don't like Flowmasters.... They are starting to annoy me when I drive my car.

Dynomax it is, but what size? My Flowmasters are 19" and JEGS advertises 16" Dynomax's. Should I shop elsewhere? I'd hate like hell to "modify" my exhaust any more then I have to if I can't find the right lenght.

hey guys, anybody know if a 6" round case muffler can fit under the floorpans? i ordered 6" rounds like an idiot not measuring thinking they would fit and it seems like they will be a little big (I should have listened to my dad damnit)...I plan to dump the exhaust and was thinking of tucking them on an angle under the raised area of the floor just before the rear axle

Mine are 2.50" X 18-19"...... All I know is that they are getting annoying. I'm a big fan of noise, but these are obnoxious.

I'll crawl under the car (again...) and measure before I order anything. Thanks for the info & links. 8)

John The Welded muffs are starlight through like a glass pack, From what I hear, They are kinda loud, Not flowmaster loud but still loud. The super turbos are quieter. Tom340 has them on his Duster and the car sounds great.

These are the ones I ordered. 2.50 inlet and outlet. Off center inlet and outlet. I chose the offset outlet because I want to run tail pipes up over the axle and dump right near each corner of the quarters. The tail pipes might kill some of the noise also. The pipes will not be seen unless you crawl under the car. I'm like John I have heard enough of the Flowmasters 40s. I could have went with the quieter Flowmasters but wanted a fiberglass packed muffler and also try a different brand all together. The flow results show that the Dynomax Ultra "welded" out flow the Flowmasters is another reason.

The mail in rebate is a good thing going right now... so I took advantage of that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17222/

I'm finally replacing my entire exhaust system. I had 2 1/4" stainless pipes with super 40 flowmasters through stock tips. Well last year i got sick and tired of the flowmasters. Every old car has them so i wanted something new and different. I bought a full 2 1/2" x-pipe system with cutouts through race mufflers (dynomax ultra flow welded) through big bore (factory style)tips. Best decision of my life. I finally have something that sounds more unique and the sound itself is much better. Well theres my 2 min. of bragging.
:cheers:

I did the same thing on my old 73 Duster 340 about 8 yrs ago. It sounded sweet with a MP508 cam, headers, Ultraflows and full 2.5" exhaust with factory style tips.

:cheers:

I did the same thing on my old 73 Duster 340 about 8 yrs ago. It sounded sweet with a MP508 cam, headers, Ultraflows and full 2.5" exhaust with factory style tips.

What would you say was the first thing you noticed about the Ultras being on there?

I was told that they have so much back pressure that the "pop" when the gas has been left off. I have never heard that and the fellow that was telling me wasn't a very good source of hard evidence if you know what I mean.

well i just got my ultra flows today p#17223 and they look wicked! I checked for fitment and they will tuck perfectly just behind the rear seat floorpan if they are mounted up right on an angle...the construction is great and i just have this really great feeling that they are going to sound wicked and loud with 3inch pipe and turndowns under the car!

well i just got my ultra flows today p#17223 and they look wicked! I checked for fitment and they will tuck perfectly just behind the rear seat floorpan if they are mounted up right on an angle...the construction is great and i just have this really great feeling that they are going to sound wicked and loud with 3inch pipe and turndowns under the car!

I hear ya bud!

I'm actually trying to tone mine down a little bit.... I must be getting old!

I believe mine will be here tomorrow but it will be Friday before I can get them installed.

Does anyone know anything about the Dynomax Thrush? I believe thats what they're called.. I went to the parts store today to ask about mufflers and about Dynomax and they had a few pairs of 'Thrush' in stock, they ran about $80 Canadian each.

Does anyone know anything about the Dynomax Thrush? I believe thats what they're called.. I went to the parts store today to ask about mufflers and about Dynomax and they had a few pairs of 'Thrush' in stock, they ran about $80 Canadian each.

There is all different style of "Thrush" mufflers.... this is the sounds of dynomax which lists all there mufflers. Pick one! LOL

http://www.dynomax.com/soundsofdynomax.php

Well got the Dynomax Ultras "welded" in hand. I will soon have them installed next week since I will be off work. The muffler guy was tied up Friday and could not get to it. I've made a video of what my car sounds like with the Flowmasters (excuse the first part I has the camera on and didn't know it). Now next week after the Ultras are installed I'll make another video so to compare the two. Kind of a side by side sound test. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdTRqQlYew

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

FWIW, my long time Muffler shop doesn't carry Dynomax anymore.

According to them, they had too many "Waranteed" returns over the past two - three years due to faulty build workmanship on the cans...

They tell me that they have never had a "Warranty " return with Flowmasters.

BTW, this is a reputable, "Old Style" Father & Son shop in the Huntington Beach, Calif. area that does a lot of Hot Rod / Muscle Car exhaust system work.

YMMV

PS, My present cars have Magnaflow( it replaced a worn-out Dynomax) and Flowmaster cans....

1991 Jeep Cherokee 4X4- Magnaflow
1992 Camaro RS Convertible (had Dynomax, now Magnaflow)
1968 Dart Gt - Flowmaster

-
Back