Good Bye Flowmasters!

-
FWIW, my long time Muffler shop doesn't carry Dynomax anymore.

According to them, they had too many "Waranteed" returns over the past two - three years due to faulty build workmanship on the cans...

They tell me that they have never had a "Warranty " return with Flowmasters.

BTW, this is a reputable, "Old Style" Father & Son shop in the Huntington Beach, Calif. area that does a lot of Hot Rod / Muscle Car exhaust system work.

YMMV

PS, My present cars have Magnaflow( it replaced a worn-out Dynomax) and Flowmaster cans....

1991 Jeep Cherokee 4X4- Magnaflow
1992 Camaro RS Convertible (had Dynomax, now Magnaflow)
1968 Dart Gt - Flowmaster

It would be very interesting to know which part of the muffler actually broke?

I have never heard of any muffler for that matter have to be returned because something broke on the muffler itself.

I have seen the pressed together Dynomax mufflers but as you can see in the above pictures I went the welded route.

It really is a personal preference on the sound... you might like the sound of Magnaflow ... I don't and never will. One guy might like glass packs and another guy doesn't.

I never heard of any Dynomaxx problems but I know plenty of Flowmasters with loose or broken baffles in the,.

I never heard of any Dynomaxx problems but I know plenty of Flowmasters with loose or broken baffles in the,.

Adam you just might be on to something.... I have a "noise" coming from somewhere I for the life of me just can't find it. It's not loud enough to really locate it but it's there. I'll find out next week when the Flomasters come off.

I second that as well...never heard of any problems with the dynomax, only the chokemasters...and yes mullinax i agree with ya too on magnaflows- gutless hollow sounding muffs that (i think i have said this before somewhere) remind me of an old chev beretta with a hole in the exhaust no matter what v8 motor they are on lol (ive seen and heard alot of those berettas dont ask me why lol)...Looking forward to the soundclips side by side! im dying to get mine in and hear them too!

We have a Chevelle at the shop with 3" Magnaflows on it. They actually sound pretty good. I use to run Flows on everything and still love the sound of them but Im really starting to love the sound of Dynomax Super Turbos.

I second that as well...never heard of any problems with the dynomax, only the chokemasters...and yes mullinax i agree with ya too on magnaflows- gutless hollow sounding muffs that (i think i have said this before somewhere) remind me of an old chev beretta with a hole in the exhaust no matter what v8 motor they are on lol (ive seen and heard alot of those berettas dont ask me why lol)...Looking forward to the soundclips side by side! im dying to get mine in and hear them too!

I'm going to get them on tomorrow come hell or high water!!!

We have a Chevelle at the shop with 3" Magnaflows on it. They actually sound pretty good. I use to run Flows on everything and still love the sound of them but Im really starting to love the sound of Dynomax Super Turbos.

The Super Turbos are nice sounding mufflers... they would be my second choice. I had them on a big block motor in a Charger... sounded mean. I'm trying not to hush my little small block to much but loose the Flowmaster "tingy" sound.

The one's your installing are the welded straight-through items, right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17219/

I'm very interested in how your car sounds. I might get the same mufflers.

What I bought was the 17222... offset going in and coming out. The offset coming out helps to get around the gas tank with the tail pipes. I'm still between leaving them dumped or adding tail pipes. I saw some cars just dumped and they sounded good this weekend. What I'm going to do is just drive it with them dumped and later on add the tail pipes if I want to. I'm going to tell the muffler guy that just in case if anything needs to done a little different he can go ahead have them set up for the tail pipes.

Aside from inlet/outlet locations, these are the same mufflers, right? The 17219 & 17222 are the straight-through mufflers everyone claims to flow and sound good. I need a change here guys.... a change for the better!

Well I got them installed and really love the sound. The exhaust is quieter and has a deeper tone than the Flowmasters. The "tinny" sound is gone. The video doesn't capture the deep tone as it is in real life but what can I do. LOL

The muffler guy said if I decide to put the tail pipes on later that it would quieten down some more. I believe I am going to leave well enough alone right now because I like the sound so much. It really sounds good going up through the gears. Man I wished my camera would capture the tone... you can hear it a little bit when the camera is close to the back of the car and when I move it down low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdeKPIzHt4

Mullinax, that thing is loud (my opinion, I like silence) :)):). I think tailpipes will help the resonation you are going to get to enjoy when you drive it UNLESS you never hover around 2200 to 2500 rpm. Sure looks cool!
Tom

Mullinax, that thing is loud (my opinion, I like silence) :)):). I think tailpipes will help the resonation you are going to get to enjoy when you drive it UNLESS you never hover around 2200 to 2500 rpm. Sure looks cool!
Tom

Are you sure are listening to my last video ... LOL!

It is really quite compared to the Flowmasters. My video camera picks up the flomasters better than the Ultras for some reason. The last video sounds like air shooting out of a air hose or something instead of what it actually sounds.

I don't have any resonating but have not drove it with the windows up either or if that even matters. My car has never had that problem for some reason. My truck has a resonating in it so I know what you are talking about.. it has flosmasters on it. It's that HUMMM that will not go away!!

I stopped by a friend mine who has his own shop and told him about what I did today losing the Flows... he said he lost his years ago to the Dynomax Ultras and now he has bunch of people doing the same after hearing his ride. He of course liked the way my car sounded.

Yea BABY! those revs sound sweet with the ultra flows...much better sounding than the flows in my opinion...i know the ultra flows are quieter than flowmasters but to be honest most flowmaster cars that i have heard arent that loud, so im hoping mine is louder with dynomaxs lol....mullinax what is the compression on your motor? straight through mufflers doa very good job of quietening down low compression motors, but as the compression gets higher, they do are louder (something im looking forward to with 10.5:1 cr lol)...oh and my vote is leave the tailpipes off! resonation makes you really feel the power!

Yea BABY! those revs sound sweet with the ultra flows...much better sounding than the flows in my opinion...i know the ultra flows are quieter than flowmasters but to be honest most flowmaster cars that i have heard arent that loud, so im hoping mine is louder with dynomaxs lol....mullinax what is the compression on your motor? straight through mufflers doa very good job of quietening down low compression motors, but as the compression gets higher, they do are louder (something im looking forward to with 10.5:1 cr lol)...oh and my vote is leave the tailpipes off! resonation makes you really feel the power!

LOL!

Yeah I'm leaving the tail pipes off... it's right where I want it. My motor is 10:7 cr. I wished you could hear it in person. The deep sound rattles my storm door in the carport... something the Flows never did. I really believe the mufflers that you have are going to be louder than the Flowmasters.

Ok my car has had flowmaster 3 chambers since 2003. I have an X pipe with mandrel bends and tail pipe out the back. I like the sound of my car and when I run it at the track people comment on how quiet it sounds. I put the 3 chambers because I didn't want that annoying sound. Does my car have the same annoying sound everyone is refering to or is having tailpipes the key to tune it down? Here are a few clips. The one getting on the freeway is with the windows rolled up. Jayson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNOpzTWKRpM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1qSof8rN20

Ok my car has had flowmaster 3 chambers since 2003. I have an X pipe with mandrel bends and tail pipe out the back. I like the sound of my car and when I run it at the track people comment on how quiet it sounds. I put the 3 chambers because I didn't want that annoying sound. Does my car have the same annoying sound everyone is refering to or is having tailpipes the key to tune it down? Here are a few clips. The one getting on the freeway is with the windows rolled up. Jayson

Holy owl **** batman!

That car will gitty up and go!

NO your car actually sounds like mine with the Ultras (not saying every car should sound just like mine). It's really hard to describe the Flowmaster sound actually... "tinny" is as close to the sound as described. One guy mentioned the Flowmaster sound is " A chain saw in a beer can!" LOL

I could have went with a different chambered Flow but decided to a) go with the woven fiber wraped design and b) as long as it didn't start with the letter "F".

Nice car bossman!

Have to make the decision on the exhaust for the Demon before too long. Thanks for all the sound clips, guys. I really like the way jysnflem did the sound clips. A drive-over and a ride-along ought to be standard fare.

So far, I've committed to 2¼ inch tail pipes. Before seeing these posts and clips, I was leaning toward glasspacks and a cross-over pipe. Now I'm not so sure. Dynomax, eh?

Look at the 18" long Goerlich XLERATORs too. Nice mufflers that sound good and flow a lot of air without a lot of noise and resonation.

I've always liked the Dynomax super hemi turbo,or something like that. Back when my Dart was being driven I put them on. Sure sounded good!

Sorry everyone. I havnt had the chance to post any videos yet. So far i have been very happy with the new exhaust. Sounds much better now that I have tail pipes and new 2 1/2" tips on it. Gives it a unique sound. Always fun to uncork the cutouts as well.

Sorry everyone. I havnt had the chance to post any videos yet. So far i have been very happy with the new exhaust. Sounds much better now that I have tail pipes and new 2 1/2" tips on it. Gives it a unique sound. Always fun to uncork the cutouts as well.

Ah that's alright.... every one's slack now and then. LOL!

Just pulling your leg.

It takes a little time getting a video up. I found that out in no time. I would like to do a vid like jysnflem with the camera aiming out the windshield. I just got to figure out how to make sure the camera is stable. Duct tape I guess?? lol

I got Flowmaster 17223 months ago from here and still love it upto now. Not really sure if and when I'm gonna change it. Well, simply bcoz I am happy with it ryt now.

-
Back